OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: With Deer Season Coming  (Read 2566 times)

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
With Deer Season Coming
« on: September 02, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
With Deer Season Coming I wanted to bring up a safety issue, I shared this video on Facebook and wanted to share it here as well with my comment. Lets be safe out there guys and gals.

To all my friends, please use a approved fall restraint device. I would hate to see anything happen to you. Remember if you get in a stand and don't use one you may not only end or change your life, you could change the lives of your friends and loved ones and wear one for their sake. If you don't have respect for yourself, at least have respect for your friends and loved ones. Oh and be sure to inspect those tree stands, even if they are brand new.

I could not get the exact video on Youtube but this one is also worth watching. https://youtu.be/byXHuNU8DkE

Here is a article with video on tree stand safety. https://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/20-percent-of-treestand-falls-occur-from-ladder-treestands

Thanks for reading and watching Best of luck out there guys and gals.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: With Deer Season Coming
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 05:36:38 PM »
Wear a harness
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
Wear a harness

And...have a workable self rescue plan for your specific stand set up. Install stirrups to your harness you drop out and step into, stand up in, and support blood flow to your lower extremities.

And...establish your overhead anchor point high enough above your head so if you fall, you don't fall too far below the stand having a better chance to self rescue.

And...tell someone exactly where you're going and when you'll be back.

And...inspect your harness and lanyard for tears, nicks, holes, etc. Any doubt, get a new one. Cheap investment on staying alive.

And...I'll say it again. Have a workable self rescue plan for your specific stand set up.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:03:12 PM »
Wear a harness

And...have a workable self rescue plan for your specific stand set up. Install stirrups to your harness you drop out and step into, stand up in, and support blood flow to your lower extremities.

And...establish your overhead anchor point high enough above your head so if you fall, you don't fall too far below the stand having a better chance to self rescue.

And...tell someone exactly where you're going and when you'll be back.

And...inspect your harness and lanyard for tears, nicks, holes, etc. Any doubt, get a new one. Cheap investment on staying alive.

And...I'll say it again. Have a workable self rescue plan for your specific stand set up.

All great additional points. A few years ago a guy that lived maybe 3 miles from me fell from his stand and he had to be taken out by Mercy Flight, the chopper went down after they had gotten him due to weather and everybody aboard died. Also a few years back in an area called Alabama Swamps about a hour and a half from me a guy fell out of his climbing stand and died, turns out he was a very good friend of my baby sister, she still can't talk about it but every year at hunting season she calls to make sure I have a fall restrain devise in case I fall. I hunt out of a blind these days though.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 08:54:03 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Online Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
It doesn't take much of a fall to kill you. The human body is soft and skull fractures/punctured organs can occure at lower heights than most people think. I've seen instances where people hit just right at 5 or 6 feet and we're killed. I find myself on the ground more and more these day's.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
I have found the older I get , the more it hurts when I fall. Body dont recover as quick either.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
It doesn't take much of a fall to kill you. The human body is soft and skull fractures/punctured organs can occure at lower heights than most people think. I've seen instances where people hit just right at 5 or 6 feet and we're killed. I find myself on the ground more and more these day's.
No it really doesn't, there was a show that had a guy that build custom motorcycles and he was known by the name Indian Larry, he was doing a stunt on his motorcycle where he would stand up on the seat as it was moving, they say he was only going 5MPH and he fell hit his head and died. I am sure there are tons of cases that would have seemed less dangerous than that and people have died. I just replied over on Facebook to Nathan Taylor, this was my reply and why I do not know if I will ever get back in a stand again. "I've been in a few car accidents and I honestly do not know if I could recover from another major accident again, that last one took me away from hunting for 17 years and only my medication allows me to hunt now." I don't want to lose it again.

I have found the older I get , the more it hurts when I fall. Body dont recover as quick either.
I hear you there.

John Koenig:

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 09:06:35 PM »
When I was in high school I thought it would never happen to me and never wore a harness. Learned a hard lesson but got extremely lucky. Never climb without one now.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »
When I was in high school I thought it would never happen to me and never wore a harness. Learned a hard lesson but got extremely lucky. Never climb without one now.
Glad you were not injured badly.

John Koenig:

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
A friend of mine was killed a few years back when a lock on stand broke and threw him out.  He landed on his side and the impact tore his aorta. His 14 year old (who was in another adjacent lock-on and was pulled out and fell also) was laying beside him with a broken hip and had to watch his Daddy die on the spot.

15 feet doesn't seem very high, but it can be deadly.

I always ask people that complain about the high prices of safety belts " What is your life worth to your family?", mine is worth much more than 75-100 dollars for a safety belt.

Jeff's death did cause me and most all of my friends to do away completely with lock on type stands. Now, for me/us, it's either climbers, tripods, ladder stands or blinds. And I kill just as many deer as I ever killed.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
A friend of mine was killed a few years back when a lock on stand broke and threw him out.  He landed on his side and the impact tore his aorta. His 14 year old (who was in another adjacent lock-on and was pulled out and fell also) was laying beside him with a broken hip and had to watch his Daddy die on the spot.

15 feet doesn't seem very high, but it can be deadly.

I always ask people that complain about the high prices of safety belts " What is your life worth to your family?", mine is worth much more than 75-100 dollars for a safety belt.

Jeff's death did cause me and most all of my friends to do away completely with lock on type stands. Now, for me/us, it's either climbers, tripods, ladder stands or blinds. And I kill just as many deer as I ever killed.
Oh man that poor kid, I can not even imagine. I hope he is doing well now?

I am sorry you lost your friend.

It is shocking to learn just how fragile the human body can be. I recovered better from my car accident in 88 where I got broken bones, torn up knee, removed spleen and liver contusion that I have from my last accident where there is nothing that you could look at me and see wrong and now I have to take opioid pain killers the rest of my life to try to control the pain.

I prefer a ladder stand if I am going to be in one, here about to many people getting stuck in tress when the bottom dropped to the ground (Even with a rope attached) or the whole thing going to the ground.

John Koenig:

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »

It is shocking to learn just how fragile the human body can be. I recovered better from my car accident in 88 where I got broken bones, torn up knee, removed spleen and liver contusion that I have from my last accident where there is nothing that you could look at me and see wrong and now I have to take opioid pain killers the rest of my life to try to control the pain.

I prefer a ladder stand if I am going to be in one, here about to many people getting stuck in tress when the bottom dropped to the ground (Even with a rope attached) or the whole thing going to the ground.

Actually, the son has never gotten over the accident neither physically nor emotionally.  He had hip surgery and another surgery on his arm where it was broken.

Emotionally, he still has a rough time and refuses to hunt anymore. Jeff's daughter, who was 8 at the time, has done very well since his death.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »

Actually, the son has never gotten over the accident neither physically nor emotionally.  He had hip surgery and another surgery on his arm where it was broken.

Emotionally, he still has a rough time and refuses to hunt anymore. Jeff's daughter, who was 8 at the time, has done very well since his death.
I am really sorry to hear that about him, but I understand it, my father was electrocuted to death when I was 16 and he was the world to me, even though we had a very rough relationship.

I am glad I did not see it and I am sure that is a major part of him having a hard time emotionally. Hopefully one day he will be able to do it again, sounds like the wounds are not healed over enough emotionally, and that is understandable. How long ago was it?

John Koenig:

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »

I am really sorry to hear that about him, but I understand it, my father was electrocuted to death when I was 16 and he was the world to me, even though we had a very rough relationship.

I am glad I did not see it and I am sure that is a major part of him having a hard time emotionally. Hopefully one day he will be able to do it again, sounds like the wounds are not healed over enough emotionally, and that is understandable. How long ago was it?
It was late November of 2012

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »

It was late November of 2012
Yea maybe when he is in his 30's or 40's he may gain an interest to it again, to us old guys it has been a while but to somebody that young it is like it was yesterday.

John Koenig: