OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lost a good buck.......

Started by Yoder409, October 27, 2019, 07:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Buddy of mine called me on his cell phone yesterday about lunchtime. He was on his quad on my property bringing out some stuff from his stand (he got a buck early on). Said he was standing beside a REALLY good buck, laying on one of my woods roads. It was alive, but unable to get up. Said it looked like it had been shot with buckshot. Said it needed put down, but he didn't have a gun. I told him just to leave it.

I secured proper permission from the proper person to put the deer down. Called my buddy back and he met me at my gate on his quad and we rode up to the deer. It was missing half the hair on its right side. There were NUMEROUS wounds with large amounts of pus and also maggots crawling. The buck's back end was paralyzed. I ended his suffering quickly. Then we started looking at it.............

Long story short.............this buck lost a fight with another buck BIG TIME. Apparently, the other buck got a tine into this buck's spine and paralyzed him. Then just gored the living $@#! out of his right side. From the amount of pus, the age of the maggots and the crust on/around some of the wounds, this deer had been there for 7-10 days. I don't know how he survived without water for that long and also how he hadn't been eaten alive by bears or coyotes or even vultures and crows.........

Mother Nature is a cruel old hag.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tail Feathers

Tough break for the buck.  Nature can be pretty unforgiving.  Good on you for ending his suffering quickly.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

I would love for an anti hunter to have seen this, they might understand how taking an animal is not inhumane as they think it is, death in nature is the inhumane death no matter how it comes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sixes

Nature is tough.

I shot a buck one time and a little later, another buck showed up and starting to fight and gore the buck I had killed. I had to pretty much walk up to the buck to get him to leave.

Same thing with a doe, I shot her, about an hour later, a buck comes down the trail scent trailing her. He starts trying to get her to stand up and gores the crap out of her hams and stomach. I had to climb down before the buck would leave

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 28, 2019, 05:00:37 AM
I would love for an anti hunter to have seen this, they might understand how taking an animal is not inhumane as they think it is, death in nature is the inhumane death no matter how it comes.

I made the very same comment to my buddy when we were riding back out..........

How DARE an anti call hunters "cruel".........   A well-placed arrow of bullet would have taken from 1-5 seconds.   7-10 DAYS........ ????????!!!!!!!    Good LORD, the suffering !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on October 28, 2019, 11:53:10 AM

How DARE an anti call hunters "cruel".........   A well-placed arrow of bullet would have taken from 1-5 seconds.   7-10 DAYS........ ????????!!!!!!!    Good LORD, the suffering !!!!!!!
Great minds think alike? Or is it demented minds?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Yoder409

Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 28, 2019, 02:27:10 PM

Methinks the latter, more, rather than the former.........
PA elitist since 1979

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on October 28, 2019, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on October 28, 2019, 02:27:10 PM

Methinks the latter, more, rather than the former.........
I must concur.

John Koenig: