OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen Box Recommendation

Started by Rzrbac, August 27, 2019, 04:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Pooh4459 on August 27, 2019, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 27, 2019, 06:55:29 PM
Quote from: Gog1015 on August 27, 2019, 06:50:16 PM
Snake/teak in regular handle hen box
That's the one I almost bought.

No it's not. The one he had up there was his M2 not his regular box.
Pretty sure it had a handle. I could well be wrong, I don't know much about them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Snake/apple, snake / English Walnut, Boise de Rose/apple , bloodwood/ limba , etc... M1 is just little smaller and high-pitch and the M2 which is little large has little less volume and not as high pitch.

TheBigSnood

Humbled by all of you. Thanks to each one of you and all your thoughts and kind words.  The biggest blessing of callmaking is the friends you meet along the way!  A good call, and a lifelong companion in your hunting vest is a bonus. 

The M1 is the original box that I built. Great call, that creates a higher pitch and quicker rollover typically gonna get a younger sounding hen out of it. There are certain combos that will allow you to get a more nasely sound with a deeper tone to imitate a more mature bird.

The M2 is slightly a little longer in length and slightly shorter in height. A bigger sound-chamber allowing for a more versatile box.  You can really get a mature bird out of it. 

I was approached at Unicoi last year by several folks, but a good friend kept the fire lit for the last few months of tweaking and tuning.  Crazy story, but I feel the Lord give me the design in a dream. I built the call in a dream. Crazy. This call is producing some amazing sound and allows the caller to focus on one side.  Also, I feel as if this call can be kid friendly.

May each of you be blessed, and feel free to call me anytime to talk Turkey.

Matt
502-938-5866 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

Chris O

I really think you will be happy with anything from Matt. He will make sure you are completely satisfied. I have a snakewood over black limba and a bloodwood over tiger maple. One is his original call and my other is a handled m2 . Both are great calls. I also have a Richard Hudson in Snakewood over teak and that is a great combination as well. I guarantee everything will be beautiful, great craftsmanship, and it will sound great also.

shatcher

Matt is a good fellow.  He learned the hen box from Richard Hudson.  Both are excellent.

mspaci

Rzrbac

I haven't asked Matt yet but has anybody seen a henbox with an ABW lid?

strutnrut

I have built a few but not a huge fan of ABW. IMO Macassar  Ebony is better but it not impossible  to use a ABW lid. In 10 year I have used it maybe a dozen times. Mostly on Holly or Maple.

gergg

In my own experimentation building boxes and lids, ABW did not work as wellas other options.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

strutnrut

Quote from: shatcher on August 29, 2019, 09:04:25 PM
Matt is a good fellow.  He learned the hen box from Richard Hudson.  Both are excellent.
I dont post my opinion often. The call making world is sometime a challenge . If you dont like my opinion remember it is just one man's opinion.
I started out almost 10 years ago because I liked the hen box sound. After many trail and numerous different pattern I have figured out how to build a  hen box in my own style that I like and have seen many turkey die because of them. Proof is in the pudding. If I hadn't figured it out others wouldn't be coping me. My brother say I should take it as  a compliment . That is how I choose  to take it. Cause to some degree I cant change the past but how i conduct myself in the future. In the last few years a lot of interest has been given to the Turpin style of calls. I was approached  by Mark Sharp about talking to Mr. Burke at the NWTF. In Feb 2020 the NWTF is starting  a category  to Honor Mr. Turpin box calls. I have never entered a call making contest but I did promise  Mr. Burke I would enter a call if the NWTF created a category.  It is time to Honor Mr Tom and the Turpin family.  I invite all callmakers to enter. As soon as I find out the rules for the Category  I will post them.

Matt k

If I may ask, what attributes make a call a Turpin? The lid, screw hole, walls of the call, angle or lack of angle on side wall? Just curious what would or wouldn't qualify for a Turpin category at nwtf.

TheBigSnood

Quote from: strutnrut on August 30, 2019, 11:45:13 AM
Quote from: shatcher on August 29, 2019, 09:04:25 PM
I dont post my opinion often. The call making world is sometime a challenge . If you dont like my opinion remember it is just one man's opinion.
I started out almost 10 years ago because I liked the hen box sound. After many trail and numerous different pattern I have figured out how to build a  hen box in my own style that I like and have seen many turkey die because of them. Proof is in the pudding. If I hadn't figured it out others wouldn't be coping me. My brother say I should take it as  a compliment . That is how I choose  to take it. Cause to some degree I cant change the past but how i conduct myself in the future. In the last few years a lot of interest has been given to the Turpin style of calls. I was approached  by Mark Sharp about talking to Mr. Burke at the NWTF. In Feb 2020 the NWTF is starting  a category  to Honor Mr. Turpin box calls. I have never entered a call making contest but I did promise  Mr. Burke I would enter a call if the NWTF created a category.  It is time to Honor Mr Tom and the Turpin family.  I invite all callmakers to enter. As soon as I find out the rules for the Category  I will post them.

And since your opinion was shared, we will let the whole world know the truth!  I will not get into a pissing match with you Richard. I have reached out to you since February 29 of this year. Called and left several voicemails with no return text or comment. Only to wonder why, and now to say that I have copied you is furthest from the truth. The boxes are totally different just ask those that have both. And further more, you were the one that told me to build a bigger box after Unicoi. Funny how things change. I seen a copy of your box, and it sure wasn't mine.  Richard, I appreciate you, and thank you for what you've invested in me! I've told you that time and time again. Now, my phone is open, and waiting to speak to you in person! Like I have been trying to do since February 29.  God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

strutnrut

I replied to shatcher post not your. The entire post was about the calls I build and the fact that it is being copied and how I choose to take it as a compliment  and the fact at I invite other call makers to take part in the upcoming event at the NWTF. If you feel like you didn't or are not coping me then I must not have been talking to you. FYI I do not care to talk to you either. Get over yourself, trying to offend you isn't a priority dont make it one.

strutnrut

Quote from: Matt k on August 30, 2019, 01:01:33 PM
If I may ask, what attributes make a call a Turpin? The lid, screw hole, walls of the call, angle or lack of angle on side wall? Just curious what would or wouldn't qualify for a Turpin category at nwtf.
I will try to answer this. Mr. Turpin published  a set of instructions  on a Turpin style box and how to run one. I have a text that has those instructions.  Steve Turpin has a hard copy. With that said. Hen boxes are one piece construction with a handle and no spring. The lack of a spring allows for more versatility  and maneuverability  of the lid combined with the radius  of the lid and rails produces a great yee and yaw. Multiple tones can be produced from each rail or side depending on the angle and roll of the lid.

strutnrut

I have sent numerous callmakers pictures and tried my best to help other building what I call a Turpin Style box call. The main reason is that in Unicoi I had the pleasure to sit in on the 1st Round Table which was about box calls. I felt like a One Eyed Cat Watching Nine Ratholes because I was setting beside some of the best callmakers in the World. The one comment from me was helping others. Over the past years or so I have help several call makers who liked the sound of a Turpin Style box and wanted to try and builds some. Since Turkey Trot my phone has blown up. Let me put this to rest.  Mike Lapp is a good friend and I have assisted him as much as I could. I have also sent other callmakers  pictures and measurements of my box to give them a starting point. Each will build their own version to suit their ears and playing style. Now that several callmakers are building a Turpin Style the NWTF has taken serious notice and will have a category. again Mike Lapp is building a turpin style and I like forward to getting mine.