OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Got Lucky  (Read 1888 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Got Lucky
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:03:41 PM »
Had to retake hunters safety so I could get my bow license. I couldn’t find a previous
one so had to do the whole class over again. It was agonizing, and they gave a few I wouldn’t have. Dam money maker is all it was. No marksmanship was required. There was a live fire of a .22 rifle. Noyoung instructors, all old codgers( if you are older than me and more miserable then you are a codger). Waste of time for me, but I thought it was wayyyyy too easy. I am disappointed. Just bitching cuz I had to waste my Saturday. Hunting season is not far off and I have 4 tags with another 2 possible. Life isn’t that bad  :funnyturkey:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Got Lucky
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
Just going to throw this out there, but if you took any of the courses in New York and loose any of your hunters safety certificates
(Hunters Safety, Bow Hunters Safety, Trapping or Waterfowl) you can now get them replaced for free and quite quickly. I got mine replaced from when I took it back in 86 and had it 2 days later in the mail. I got some for my friend as well with no problem. They go into the 70's I do believe she said. Very fast and friendly service as well, as shocking as that is from New York Here is that information for any that may need it. Give Erin a call at DEC (518 357-2355)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:47:37 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:20:50 PM »
NH is only required to keep records for ten Years. I will keep all my stuff now.

Online tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »
 The three greatest lies you can tell in mixed company: 1) I love you no kidding 2) Your check is in the mail 3) I'm from the government and I'm here to help you

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »
It ain't that bad. I typically wind up taking a kid or two every few years. I am fairly well known as the smartalec there. I am always helpful and quick to give great input and advise. Such as "always make sure your rifle barrel clears your side mirror" , and "always set the parking brake on your four wheeler" "dont want it to start rolling forward as your squeezing the trigger". When given scenarios I always ask what state we are in(hypothetically) and then base my answer off of that. It's a good time.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
Young codgers , old codgers , they all forget where they put stuff ....So i guess that makes us all CODGERS :TooFunny:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
Learn a new word every day.  codgers
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 09:59:13 PM »
So your state doesn't have an app for that, here in Georgia, our DNR contains license info, hunter's education info, historical data on checking out game and licenses/tags.

Online tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 10:53:04 PM »
 Young codgers, old codgers, and onery codgers... LOL

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 10:54:21 PM »
I had the same issue. Took my first course in California and lost it. They could not replace it as it had been too long ago. This time I have made twenty copies stashed them everywhere. Not planning to spend my time with a bunch of kids and old codgers again. Of course I understand that we all go through the hunter safety thing but I did feel like I was sitting in third grade. On top of that they asked me if I wanted to be an instructor. I guess that makes me an old Codger. I know I can be grumpy at times: just ask any of my employees.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline SinGin

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:04 AM »
It ain't that bad. I typically wind up taking a kid or two every few years. I am fairly well known as the smartalec there. I am always helpful and quick to give great input and advise. Such as "always make sure your rifle barrel clears your side mirror" , and "always set the parking brake on your four wheeler" "dont want it to start rolling forward as your squeezing the trigger". When given scenarios I always ask what state we are in(hypothetically) and then base my answer off of that. It's a good time.

That really is some great advice.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »
Here in Md they have records of all of the hunters safety cards so getting a new one isn't a big deal. And in all honesty it doesnt hurt to get a little refresher. We have a good time at ours and I have gotten to meet some pretty interesting people. Plus it's fun to interact and teach kids. I usually wind up helping and as soon as my kids grow up and I have the time it may very well be something I get into.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 07:02:53 AM »
They had a record of my old hunters safety certificate, Aug 20th 1980. But back then there was no bowhunter safety and I was grandfathered. Now the course covers firearm and bow safety. State only keeps license info for ten years. But violations stay in there forever, though I have none. They pointed that out all the way back to 1882, which was my first license. I asked why and they said it was just a $$ issue. Going back that far was a monetary burden. I did get to meet a local warden that I have seen on North Woods Law at least.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 08:27:16 PM »
Don't know how it is now, but at one time, when my son was young, you had to take one for shotgun, one for rifle and one for bow...My LORD was that agony going through all of them with him!