OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My Booty  (Read 4739 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: My Booty
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Nice haul. Congrats.
Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 08:11:22 AM »
very nice haul

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »
Very nice callers.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 08:37:00 AM »
Hen box calls are my favorite out of all box calls. It is the most realistic sounding hen to my ears at a distance. I have sealed the deal with several birds that had been pressured pretty heavily. A henbox , scratch box and trumpet are calls I find myself using 80 percent of the time now. Throw in a grey slate and you are packing a arsenal of old school calls that have gotten it done since folks have been chasing these birds. Learn to use that henbox and you will see how deadly it is. Its worth the learning curve for sure.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 11:16:32 AM »
Congrats on some great calls. I agree with SD about hen boxes, love all of mine.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
Nice haul of calls from some of the best, congrats. Don't forget the practice! :drool:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 03:11:55 PM »
Congrats on a fine haul. I really like the Fulkerson and Watkins.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2019, 03:33:37 PM »
very nice haul
Thank you. Were do you hunt bear? We are getting them a bit in my area of NY and they have a season but they are very few and far between.

Very nice callers.
Thanks, now for a lot of practice. Somebody posted this video I think it was last week and I am going to try it to help me learn to run the Hen Box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7oEDRG-J6E&t=67s
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Hen box calls are my favorite out of all box calls. It is the most realistic sounding hen to my ears at a distance. I have sealed the deal with several birds that had been pressured pretty heavily. A henbox , scratch box and trumpet are calls I find myself using 80 percent of the time now. Throw in a grey slate and you are packing a arsenal of old school calls that have gotten it done since folks have been chasing these birds. Learn to use that henbox and you will see how deadly it is. Its worth the learning curve for sure.

Congrats on some great calls. I agree with SD about hen boxes, love all of mine.

I seem to have a thing for unusual calls, I like the trumpets, wingbones, yelpers, I want to get one of those smokers in the future, I want to get a Jolley Scratch Tube, I recently saw a new kind of 4 sided box call and I would also like to learn these Hen Boxes as well. That is not to say I do not love the "standard calls" because I do, I just seem to find the ones that are not as prevalent very interesting. I saw one that is what looks like a surgical tube hooked to a cow horn, sounding real neat so I want to get one of those eventually as well. I am learning my tongue/tie call too. Edit: By the way I agree they do sound very good, I had never heard them in person before Friday but thought they sounded good online.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:08:55 PM by Sir-diealot »

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Nice haul of calls from some of the best, congrats. Don't forget the practice! :drool:
Thanks. Yes I will need tons of practice. Believe it or not the long box may be the hardest to practice for me, I have a Russel Beard long box and if I play it even a little bit my dogs and the landlords dogs go nuts. My girlfriend does too with the long boxes. No problem at all with short boxes or any other call, though I did drive my GF nuts last night practicing on my yelper I got from EZ last year, but then again it was two in the morning.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
By the way, for those that have these how do you use that little chalk box that comes with them?

John Koenig:

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
Steve you picked up some really nice calls congrats. That hen box is the real deal there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 06:51:27 PM »
Steve you picked up some really nice calls congrats. That hen box is the real deal there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you bud and thank you for your part in helping me do it.

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:46 PM »
By the way, for those that have these how do you use that little chalk box that comes with them?
  The chalk box severs two purpose , it keep the lid off the rails form making noise as your carry it , tied down with the rope , and it also holds some chalk.  Hen boxes likes lots of chalk , that why if you notice the lid on the bottom has a texture like a gun stock, that's for holding chalk and playing the rails for grip.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
  The chalk box severs two purpose , it keep the lid off the rails form making noise as your carry it , tied down with the rope , and it also holds some chalk.  Hen boxes likes lots of chalk , that why if you notice the lid on the bottom has a texture like a gun stock, that's for holding chalk and playing the rails for grip.
Does it open? Feels solid, basically I ask because you said it holds chalk. Sorry, I really am extremely tired, not trying to be a wiseguy.

John Koenig: