OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My Booty  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
My Booty
« on: August 24, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
Here is my take from the NE Call Makers Summit at Turkey Trot Acres.

First is a scratch box from Lee Custom Calls, Nice guy to talk with even though we only spoke briefly. I forgot to ask him what the wood combination was. Edit: I found out it is  a Black Limba box and walnut striker

IMG_0492 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Next is a pot call from Jimmy Schaffer. He let me choose what number I wanted and I chose number three. He immediately asked me if I was a Dale Earnhardt fan, I let him know I do not even like NASCAR (I prefer Formula 1 and Rally Racing) I let him know I chose it because of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I do not recall the woods. Edit: I found out the woods are Zebrawood/Sapele Crystal over Glass

IMG_0501 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0525 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

Next is a Hen Box by Matt Fulkerson This call was purchased for two reasons, one because I like it and two I was on Matt's list and about 2 months ago my name came up on Matt's list but I had a bunch of things go wrong that month and simply did not have the money to get the call. Matt was very gracious and let me out of the deal with no hard feelings. Not on his part but there were bad feelings on my part not towards him but towards myself, I do not like saying I am going to do something and then having to back out when the times comes, it is not who I am or who I like to be so when I saw his name on the list of call makers that were going to be in attendance I knew I was going to buy from him no matter what. In my mind I had to set things right. Matt thank you for being decent about it when it happened, you could have come on here and run me down and you would have had the right to, I thank you for not doing it. I love the call, now I just have to learn how to run a hen box. The call is Ipe over Blue Mahoe It was a hard decision between this one and the one you had with a teak sound chamber, both very pretty, I chose this one because I really like the sound of Ipe strikers.

IMG_0503 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0504 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0524 by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

The number one person I wanted to get from was Marlin "Don" Watkins and I wanted a long box and that is what I was able to get. I have wanted to go to Alaska for a long time but truth is it is something I will never be able to afford, but I like that this call is made with a wood that came from there and is why I chose this one. It is Alaskan Yellow Cedar & Service Berry. To be honest I had never heard of Service Berry before I bought the call but I don't care, it sounds wonderful and feels as good in the hand as is sounds.

I had hoped to be able to get one of the limited calls from Preacher Man but was just not able to swing it. Had my friends van not broken down I would have been able to because I drive for him and would have just paid back the gas I used by driving him around, I used my Pastors car so that I had to pay cash to replace the gas. That is okay though, I still had a really good time and I talked with Jody and he is going to make me one of those calls in the future, it will just not be one of the limited edition ones.

IMG_0506 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0507 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0510 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

IMG_0511 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

I met a young man named Nathan Taylor and I will be getting a trough call from him in the future too. Not till after new years though, no more calls other than the ones I have already made deals here on, I have to get wheels before the snow flies and then have to get my nephews CHRISTmas presents and the youngest nephew his birthday present (His birthday is 2 days after CHRISTmas)

IMG_0520 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:45:36 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: My Booty
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »
Dang , you made out pretty good.  Congrats on some good looking callers.  They should serve you well.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Online Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
   Was looking forward to seeing what you got Sir and wow very nice calls, you made out real good awesome calls. Who knows might have to make the trek to that show one day sounds like it was a blast.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:03 PM »
Dang , you made out pretty good.  Congrats on some good looking callers.  They should serve you well.
Thanks, I do have to learn to play the hen box for sure, has a much different feel than any box call type call I have used, sounds wonderful though. I think I still could have gotten that call from Jody but I thought my oldest nephews birthday was this month so I bought him his present then realized his birthday was next month and I could have waited to buy it and send it to him. That would have gave me another 75 dollars to spend yesterday. I am telling you I am horrible with remembering dates and numbers in general. Also got my dog groomed but that desperately needed to be done, I am so glad I did do it, she looks so much better and her nails got trimmed, she was beginning to have a hard time walking on my hard wood floors they had gotten so long. Next month rabies shots.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 08:40:54 PM »
You scored big time. That ought to keep ya going for a good while.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
   Was looking forward to seeing what you got Sir and wow very nice calls, you made out real good awesome calls. Who knows might have to make the trek to that show one day sounds like it was a blast.
It is much smaller than a NWTF state show, very friendly and laid back feeling. They only sell a certain amount of tickets and that way they can keep things better organized and it seems like it is a very good way to do it for them. The meals were good, all you can eat.

I could have eaten more but I was really beginning to hurt as I do not take one of my painkillers when I drive so I had not had one since Thursday night, no scratch that Wednesday night because I got my Pastors car right after church that evening. I also have night blindness which is a drag.

I won't be able to next year but the following year I would like to be able to get a hotel and that way I will be able to take my meds and enjoy myself more.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
You scored big time. That ought to keep ya going for a good while.

Oh yea it will. The pot call will never get used, it is a memory piece for me, I do not get to do stuff like this that often, last time I was at a turkey event was in 98 at a NWTF NY state show in Batavia, New York. I had talked to somebody about buying some pedestals to put pot calls on a while back but I can not for the life of me remember who it was. I will have to figure it out and get one for this one anyway.

John Koenig:

Online Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 09:03:21 PM »
It is much smaller than a NWTF state show, very friendly and laid back feeling. They only sell a certain amount of tickets and that way they can keep things better organized and it seems like it is a very good way to do it for them. The meals were good, all you can eat.

I could have eaten more but I was really beginning to hurt as I do not take one of my painkillers when I drive so I had not had one since Thursday night, no scratch that Wednesday night because I got my Pastors car right after church that evening. I also have night blindness which is a drag.

I won't be able to next year but the following year I would like to be able to get a hotel and that way I will be able to take my meds and enjoy myself more.
  Sounds like a good time, have to get there at some point, Unicoi is one I really want to attend some time as well.

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 09:11:55 PM »
 some very nice calls... did you enjoy all that pizza also,, I met Pete back in may of this year,, very nice guy

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:14:58 PM »
Wow!  Nice haul!  I feel ya on the Matt Fulkerson deal!  I was on Marlins list and he called me this spring and our central heat/AC unit had just kicked the bucket and I had to back out of it. 

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 09:45:59 PM »
Congrats on that henbox. I don’t have a lot of experience with custom callmakers but as far as I’m concerned there are none better than Matt Fulkerson. I would speculate his boxes have put a dent in gobbler populations all over the country.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 09:56:23 PM »

Very nice calls! Glad you enjoyed your time there.Congrats!

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »
Nice haul. Congrats.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:53 PM »
some very nice calls... did you enjoy all that pizza also,, I met Pete back in may of this year,, very nice guy
Yes I did, it was much different than I had thought it would be, not like what I would get from my normal pizzeria, I would describe it as artisan pizza. Pete was very nice to me with all my questions on line and was also nice in person, remembered my name throughout the day and seemed to remember others as well. Something I try hard to do myself, I am not very good at it though.

Wow!  Nice haul!  I feel ya on the Matt Fulkerson deal!  I was on Marlins list and he called me this spring and our central heat/AC unit had just kicked the bucket and I had to back out of it. 
My word or promises or however you would like to term it mean an awful lot to me, I don't have a ton of money and I am not really a lot of help to people anymore since my car accidents, I am not a snazzy dresser or the most eloquent speaker and I don't have a huge bank account but I try to control what I can and that is my honor and I expect the same of others though many don't even seem to know the meaning of the word these days. I do not understand people that do not feel the same. If I had all the money I have loaned out and never got back I could buy a really good truck. There are many people here on this site that have taken a risk on me, it means a lot to me that I have build a good reputation here and in life. I would not have much of the hunting calls or gear I have if people here had not tried to help me in some way or another. Matt could have trashed that name on me and those that know him would have known he was telling the truth, when somebody goes out of their way to not run you down like that it is something that should be recognized and repaid in mutual respect and honor. I am glad he is such a nice fellow. (One heck of a grip on him too by the way) Sounds like Marlin is cut from the same cloth.
Congrats on that henbox. I don’t have a lot of experience with custom callmakers but as far as I’m concerned there are none better than Matt Fulkerson. I would speculate his boxes have put a dent in gobbler populations all over the country.
Yes to hear him play it you know there are a lot of turkeys in that call, I just have to learn to make them sing for me now. Somebody had posted a video on him talking about hen box mechanics last week or the week before, I watched it briefly and am going to have to pull it up again and watch it time and time again.

Tony Ezolt (EZ) was there as well, I have been trying hard on the call he made for me but have not been doing well, he tried the call and man he sure made me feel inadequate, but there is no doubt there are some great turkey sounds in that call, I just have to figure out how to get to them.

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 10:25:37 PM »

Very nice calls! Glad you enjoyed your time there.Congrats!
Thanks, sure did. I did think there were going to be more talks if you know what I mean, I was looking forward to those. Seminars, that is the word I was thinking of. You should go next year.

John Koenig: