OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Trot  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Turkey Trot
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:27:14 AM »
Well I finally made the trip and was thankful I did. This was my first time attending a show like this where it’s turkey call makers and hunters alike. I’ve spoken to Marlin over the years and was glad to finally meet him. True gentleman and an awesome guy to talk to. This was mainly my only reason for going and didn’t expect to see such fine calls and call makers. Below are the two boxes I was able to buy. Snakewood over Butternut which is a real player and an Ipe over Sycamore that is all mature bird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Turkey Trot
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
Awesome , yes Marlin is one fine gentleman , and builds some killer fiddle boxes ....

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
Very nice, wish we had met up. I was looking at that box myself actually but was not what I wanted at this time, in the future I will get one of his short boxes. Edit: I am sorry, I guess I was not looking very good, I see there are two of them. I was looking at the one with the snakewood.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 01:42:37 PM »
You got 2 dandies. I have both those combos and they are pure turkey.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Very very nice calls

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
Great calls from a fine gentleman. Had a great weekend here topped off today with a NY strip and Maine lobster for lunch. Today's long conversation in the parking lot with Matt Fulkerson (and friends), Ernie Fetters, Ralph Snodgrass was priceless. The only call I bought, Ernie's bloodwood over sycamore long box.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »
 I admire a good box call, for a lot of reasons. I'm not good with one. It brings a smile to my face when one sounds good and somebody running it that knows how.

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 07:48:24 PM »
Nice boxes guys!
Turkey trot was definitely a good time and look forward to next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »
   Very nice guys, great looking boxes.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
Great calls from a fine gentleman. Had a great weekend here topped off today with a NY strip and Maine lobster for lunch. Today's long conversation in the parking lot with Matt Fulkerson (and friends), Ernie Fetters, Ralph Snodgrass was priceless. The only call I bought, Ernie's bloodwood over sycamore long box.

Fine looking call, I looked for him yesterday because I had heard a bit about his scratch boxes and wanted to get one. Guess he was not feeling well though, I know how that goes. I would have liked to have met Ralph Snodgrass as well, I hear he, Ernie and Marlin are a hoot when you get them together.

Thanks again for fixing my call and dropping it off to me at the event. You play a call much better than I do, but then again most people do.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:50:05 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »

Yeah Mike talking out in the parking lot with those guys and you was priceless. So much fun and one of the highlights of my trip.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »

Yeah Mike talking out in the parking lot with those guys and you was priceless. So much fun and one of the highlights of my trip.

Those guys and their stories are truly priceless. They know all the legends, past and present. I had no idea that was you Mr. Pooh. This was my first time there so most faces were new to me.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline TheBigSnood

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 10:36:34 PM »

Mike, you are a first class guy making a first class call. We will all look back one day and say, “ you remember when?” Those are memories that can’t be bought. Bless ya Mike, enjoyed the visit.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 07:13:08 AM »
I agree...very nice meeting you Mike. Glad you had a good time (I think it's impossible not to), and to experience the Snozz and Ernie show. They are some of the best folks you'll ever spend time with. Hope you had a safe trip back to Michigan.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »
Great looking calls. Was that Snakewood about the last short box Marlon had left? If so I was there when you were making up your mind. I was thinking if you’d walked away that box was coming home with me. Lol. That was a great box and unbelievable how no one picked it up first. Congratulations nice calls. Bubba