OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

rust

Started by 3bailey3, August 23, 2019, 06:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

my stainless judge has a good bit of rust on it, any thoughts on what to use to get it off? I have tried never dull and break free spay, the spy got some off but still has a good bit of rust.

Rzrbac

Spitten and drummen

I have taken sewing machine oil and very fine steelwool and cleaned a lot of rust from guns. You just let oil sit a few and very lightly rub with the steel wool. The secrete is light stokes. Dont get rough. It will remove it without scating the stainless up at all. I use the 0000 ultra fine. Works like a charm as long as the rust has no started to pit.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

owlhoot

Any one ever try some PB blaster?

Sir-diealot

I have used this with some Hoppe's #9 Gun Oil Liquid  with good success. Be sure to use very small circling motion, not large circles and not up and down or side to side. I would still have it but the woman I hired to clean for me thought it was used to clean dishes and ruined it on me. She was not the sharpest tool in the drawer. MidwayUSA Metal Gun Cleaning Pad https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939195748?pid=974788
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

I use the steel wool pads form the super Market , that have the soap in the pads. S O S pads... just fine steel wood pads with the soap already in the pads. After cleaning it , wipe it down good with gun oil...

falltoms

Kroil  and bronze wool

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

Please understand I mean this with the utmost respect, but if you've let a stainless steel gun rust, maybe you should consider a more stringent gun care plan. Stainless is exactly that. StainLESS, not stain free. They withstand the elements significantly better than anything on the blued side of the spectrum but still require typical care.

As for rust removal, I've used just about any type of gun oil you wanna use and steel wool. If that doesn't do it, get it blasted and parkerized or cerakoated. I've used the oil/wool truck to bring back some pretty rough looking BP guns. They've all cleaned up well enough even though they were pitted when all was said and done. Hopefully you find something that fixes your issue. Good luck with it.

Oh, try a small buffing wheel on a dremmel. Sometimes the high speed helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

thanks for all you guys help, oil and steel wool worked. WVM I totally agree with everything you said, I had been working at my club and I had sweated and I guess it had soaked into the nylon hostler and it was almost a month before I took the gun out of the hostler and I was shocked by the rust that gotten all the way down the barrel, again thanks for all you guys help.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: 3bailey3 on September 03, 2019, 05:36:33 PM
thanks for all you guys help, oil and steel wool worked. WVM I totally agree with everything you said, I had been working at my club and I had sweated and I guess it had soaked into the nylon hostler and it was almost a month before I took the gun out of the hostler and I was shocked by the rust that gotten all the way down the barrel, again thanks for all you guys help.
Well, that'll definitely do it. Buddy of mine had a ruger LC9 did the same. Nylon holsters suck for such things. I've switched to kydex for most everything on the daily carry circuit. Doesn't hold sweat. Protects the gun better. Makes removal and entry easier. Gives a very firm "click" when it gets in there. I'm not saying nylon doesn't have its place. I use them for hunting rigs. But I've definitely switched over for daily carry. I will say this though. It'll wear the bluing faster IMO. But, if it's a DC piece, it's just a tool so to speak. Therefore, treat it as such. Glad the wool took it off. There's another method I've used as well but it's a bit harder and requires some serious searching. I'd be willing to share it via PM if you're interested but not gonna drag it out here. Simple as it is, most wouldn't believe it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk