OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Striker question  (Read 3268 times)

Offline chufagold

Striker question
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:19 PM »
Been going through strikers lately and think that dymondwood cant really be beat overall. Also I've learned that i prefer thicker strikers than the thinner ones where you grip it.
what do yall think?

Offline Clardh

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Striker question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
I like a thicker striker as well but I’m a grip and rip type of caller. Finesse is not part of my game I sorry to say! As for dymondwood...it is hard to beat. Especially all those two piece strikers you get when you buy a call. Have about 20 of them and I can always find a few that sound as good as a one piece custom striker.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
Been going through strikers lately and think that dymondwood cant really be beat overall. Also I've learned that i prefer thicker strikers than the thinner ones where you grip it.
what do yall think?

For a thick Rutland diamond wood tough to beat a stuckey straight tip and i agree all around it is a great option

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Thus far with my limited experience I prefer a Stuckey Tulipwood with the mushroom tip over anything else I have tried. He makes many different versions diamond wood strikers but I am not sure if there is any difference in anything but the color of them, anyone happen to know the answer to that question so I do not throw my money away on a bunch of different colors that will all be the same?

I do have a Fowler Tulipwood coming and really am looking forward to trying that.

Some of you speak of the diameter and I definitely like thicker ones like the Stuckey, but that is because my hands have been broken and the thinner ones really do hurt my hand to use.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:56:39 PM »
Straight, flare , mushroom all have a place depending on the calling surface your playing again. Rutland diamondwood one piece are great right along with snakewood , ebony, black locust, honey locust etc.  Weight of the striker does make a difference in how pots will play . That's why it's good to have a large group of strikers..I don't necessarily get stuck on one type or one brand of striker ...

Offline mmclain

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 12:30:47 AM »
Can’t be beat is a little too far.  It’s great material and I keep a limited supply of it.  But it does slip on glass as the resin has a tendency to build up on the glass surface.  There are a few woods that grip as well but don’t load up the glass.   

Offline Triple B

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 04:02:21 PM »
Can’t be beat is a little too far.  It’s great material and I keep a limited supply of it.  But it does slip on glass as the resin has a tendency to build up on the glass surface.  There are a few woods that grip as well but don’t load up the glass.
Very true and accurate observation Matt.

Offline chufagold

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
I'm not sure about the build up thing because I condition often. I've played hundreds of strikers and just about the best ones are the older 2 piece lonzos with the burgundy dymondwood. Those things great on everything I put them on. Anyone else agree or disagree? To me theres not a better overall striker out there. It is ugly though lol

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Never cared much for dymondwood personally.  Snakewood and wenge are two of my favorites.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
I'm not sure about the build up thing because I condition often. I've played hundreds of strikers and just about the best ones are the older 2 piece lonzos with the burgundy dymondwood. Those things great on everything I put them on. Anyone else agree or disagree? To me theres not a better overall striker out there. It is ugly though lol
Those older Lonzo two piecers are BAD to the bone. Some of Schaffer's older two piecers are as well. I don't think *most* new two piece strikers are as good, even with real Rutland DW, although Strawser makes a good one too.

My favorite striker I own is one particular one piecer DW from Gary Anderson with a ball tip. I have a good few in other colors, but this one in particular stands out and is always in the vest.

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »

Would you care to post a picture of the Lonzo striker ? I’m a huge DW fan as well and my favorites are Lonzo one piece,Dawkins two piece and Schaffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
I like dymond wood , but macassar is my favorite. For grey slate a hickory cannot be beat.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
I like dymond wood , but macassar is my favorite. For grey slate a hickory cannot be beat.
[/quote

I too like dymond wood, but Derrick Stuckey`s mac ebony is tough to beat. Everybody ought to have one!

Offline PSEoutlaw07

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »
I have 3 of those strikers from Lonzo with the burgandy dymondwood. I have some strikers that play better than them on a certain pot, but wont play worth a crap on another pot. But those burgandy dymondwoods from Lonzo will  play good on any pot i run them on.

Offline Matt k

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
dawkins one piece dw is hard to beat