turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trouble brewing at the NRA

Started by RutnNStrutn, August 21, 2019, 04:17:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Really bad timing for all this to come out...right in the middle of another gun grab. The NRA has fumbled the ball on this one, and Wayne needs to go.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

eggshell

Wayne needs to go for sure. I quit the NRA a few years ago over their constant begging and policies. I had heard from reliable sources it was becoming a private slush fund. They have saved our guns but that does not give them license to abscond member money. Wayne has become just like those we appose in congress. It is dangerous to allow one person or a small contingent to hold the purse strings of a large fund. Temptation is a hard master. Running a non profit takes people with integrity first and someone with oversite that does not have any skin in the game. I actually run a non profit as chairman of the board and CFO. Every dime I spend goes through an accountant that has no interest in our organization except what he is paid for services. Still you can mask expenses and an independent audit should be done every 3-5 years.

Another organization I broke ties with is the NWTF. They were spending way too much on fund raising and hiring fund raisers left and right, that money did not go to turkeys. Sure they done a lot of good, but they spent a lot on pet projects that were not good use. Their money helped but the states were already doing the work. When I worked for DNR, they hosted a huge hunt that was exclusively for NWTF administrators, DNR officials, celebrities and politicians. I would guess those events cost thousands in travel cost and added nothing to turkey mngt.

EZ

Quote from: eggshell on August 22, 2019, 08:12:10 AM
Wayne needs to go for sure. I quit the NRA a few years ago over their constant begging and policies. I had heard from reliable sources it was becoming a private slush fund. They have saved our guns but that does not give them license to abscond member money. Wayne has become just like those we appose in congress. It is dangerous to allow one person or a small contingent to hold the purse strings of a large fund. Temptation is a hard master. Running a non profit takes people with integrity first and someone with oversite that does not have any skin in the game. I actually run a non profit as chairman of the board and CFO. Every dime I spend goes through an accountant that has no interest in our organization except what he is paid for services. Still you can mask expenses and an independent audit should be done every 3-5 years.

Another organization I broke ties with is the NWTF. They were spending way too much on fund raising and hiring fund raisers left and right, that money did not go to turkeys. Sure they done a lot of good, but they spent a lot on pet projects that were not good use. Their money helped but the states were already doing the work. When I worked for DNR, they hosted a huge hunt that was exclusively for NWTF administrators, DNR officials, celebrities and politicians. I would guess those events cost thousands in travel cost and added nothing to turkey mngt.

Agree on both accounts. It is imperative that these folks who run non-profit entities exhibit the highest level of integrity, keep the "true" purpose of their org. first and foremost, and ALWAYS show the utmost appreciation for your grass roots volunteers and donators.....they are the lifeblood.

Meanwhile, the anti-gun bills and executive orders from governors are flowing like a river.

Turkeytider

Quote from: EZ on August 22, 2019, 08:53:39 AM
Quote from: eggshell on August 22, 2019, 08:12:10 AM

Agree on both accounts. It is imperative that these folks who run non-profit entities exhibit the highest level of integrity, keep the "true" purpose of their org. first and foremost, and ALWAYS show the utmost appreciation for your grass roots volunteers and donators.....they are the lifeblood.

Meanwhile, the anti-gun bills and executive orders from governors are flowing like a river.

I wouldn`t at all be surprised if the upper echelons of the NRA are in bunker mentality mode, or well on their way at least. Anti-gun/gun control/anti-hunting sentiments have been around for quite a while, but not like right now that I recall during my 71 years on the planet. With all this, I`m a bit surprised somebody hasn`t put out an updated version of the " Guns of Autumn ". If you`re too young to have seen it ( 1975, if I remember correctly ), look it up.

KentuckyHeadhunter

The NRA is not pro 2nd amendment.  Its a 'for profit' business.  They use the slow degradation of the 2nd amendment to drive donations and memberships.  They are not fighting for us. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

zelmo1

I agree about the corruption, but the NRA is the most powerful pro gun lobby we have. Root out the crooks and keep the ship sailing. If it splinters and loses power, we will all suffer. This will be a huge boost to all the gun snatchers. I pray we staythe course of gun rights. Al Baker Patriot Life Endowment member.

Old Timer

Quote from: zelmo1 on August 22, 2019, 05:55:32 PM
I agree about the corruption, but the NRA is the most powerful pro gun lobby we have. Root out the crooks and keep the ship sailing. If it splinters and loses power, we will all suffer. This will be a huge boost to all the gun snatchers. I pray we staythe course of gun rights. Al Baker Patriot Life Endowment member.

AMEN

sixbird

As much as it pained me, I ended my longtime relationship with NRA. I'm incensed that LaPierrie would risk it all for his own gratification. The fact that he would risk gun ownership in all of America...I just can't fathom it!
I've gone over to Gun Owners of America...Eric Pratt is a no compromise bulldog for gun rights. He doesn't back down. My dues will go to good use there...

Old Timer

Quote from: sixbird on August 22, 2019, 10:22:58 PM
As much as it pained me, I ended my longtime relationship with NRA. I'm incensed that LaPierrie would risk it all for his own gratification. The fact that he would risk gun ownership in all of America...I just can't fathom it!
I've gone over to Gun Owners of America...Eric Pratt is a no compromise bulldog for gun rights. He doesn't back down. My dues will go to good use there...

I have heard that is a good organization but im not ready to give up the ship as yet. I may join this one also.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: zelmo1 on August 22, 2019, 05:55:32 PM
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 21, 2019, 10:12:47 PM
I do not know if it is just in NY but we have an organization called SCOPE (Shooters Committee On Political Education) that I like though they had a bit of a shakedown in the group a few years ago as well. They work mainly at the state level.
From what I read of NY gun laws, SCOPE isn't doing much for the gun owners there.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tal

Quote from: paboxcall on August 23, 2019, 06:58:12 PM
Things aren't well when you're firing your own lawyers...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/politics/nra-legal-team-turmoil/index.html
Not well at all.. LOL. It was best said....  NRA need's to steady the ship, there are some growing alternatives out there.

Liljake

Sometimes you have to sift through the chaff to get to the truth. Steve Hilton mentioned in the OP's link to The Hill is a British citizen and formerly worked for David Cameron ( prime Minister ) as an advisor /strategist. One only has to look at David Cameron's views on gun ownership and wonder if this was a hit piece by Hilton. I'm not trying to defend LaPierres lavish spending, or the shake up in management at the NRA, but Wayne has been quite effective pushing for our Second Amendment rights.
The NRA is hands-down one of the best lobbying machines on Capitol Hill and when your king of that hill someone's always trying to take you down  :z-twocents:
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.