OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Last one, I swear  (Read 3060 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Last one, I swear
« on: August 18, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »
Our squirrel season is about to open in a few weeks and I’m excited about getting my dog out to chase some rats. Anyway, it got me to thinking. I’ve used a pile of different “rounds” over the years for small game hunting. Ruffed grouse with a pointer and shotgun. Killed a few with various rimfires while squirrel hunting. Rabbits with just about everything under the sun but still prefer a 20 gauge or .410 while they’re chased with beagles. And I fully understand that each has its application. But my question is simple: “What do you use when hunting small game?”

Squirrels: suppressed 22. It’s quiet and my girls absolutely love it. 17HMR if I’m by myself.

Rabbits: shotgun if with dogs or jump shooting. If I’m watching a spot and waiting for them to appear, gimme the 22, 22WMR or 17HMR

Grouse: shotgun if jump shooting. 22 if spotting and shooting

I’m a diehard squirrel hunter. If turkeys and squirrels were bigger, I’d never kill another deer again. Something about listening to the dog work, finding it in the tree and smacking that little head with a scoped rifle. Love it. If there’s anyone that’s dying to try it with dogs and wants to make the trip, I’d be willing to give you the chance. Bring your kids/grandkids along and some good boots. We’ll make it a fun day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Last one, I swear
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
17 mach 2 for tree rats and rabbits and 17 hmr for bigger varments.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 08:10:01 PM »
22 caliber Gamo pellet rifle ... i like to make it interesting and challenging...

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Squirrels I have used a 10/22 with federal hollow points mostly until the last couple years  .I carry a 22 mag Magnum Research carbon fiber barrel and Houge stock. It’s a pleasure to carry and it will put down the occasional fox, coyote, and raccoons. For pushing and shooting running rabbits I like a 28ga and.410 over and unders I have a savage 555 and a Mossberg silver reserve I believe. I don’t worry about using that price point of guns. For when the bunnies are sitting out summing themselves I sure like that Magnum Research again or my Savage 17 hmr. I have shot some pretty far bunnies in more open spots while you spot them sitting under a  brush pile .

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
Our squirrel season is about to open in a few weeks and I’m excited about getting my dog out to chase some rats. Anyway, it got me to thinking. I’ve used a pile of different “rounds” over the years for small game hunting. Ruffed grouse with a pointer and shotgun. Killed a few with various rimfires while squirrel hunting. Rabbits with just about everything under the sun but still prefer a 20 gauge or .410 while they’re chased with beagles. And I fully understand that each has its application. But my question is simple: “What do you use when hunting small game?”

Squirrels: suppressed 22. It’s quiet and my girls absolutely love it. 17HMR if I’m by myself.

Rabbits: shotgun if with dogs or jump shooting. If I’m watching a spot and waiting for them to appear, gimme the 22, 22WMR or 17HMR

Grouse: shotgun if jump shooting. 22 if spotting and shooting

I’m a diehard squirrel hunter. If turkeys and squirrels were bigger, I’d never kill another deer again. Something about listening to the dog work, finding it in the tree and smacking that little head with a scoped rifle. Love it. If there’s anyone that’s dying to try it with dogs and wants to make the trip, I’d be willing to give you the chance. Bring your kids/grandkids along and some good boots. We’ll make it a fun day.

It has been years and years since I've been around a good squirrel dog . I doubted that old 3 legged German Shepard I was told to take along a get the ole farmer some squirrel for supper.
He handed me his Winchester pump and some 22 longs .. Walking across the pasture with the dog behind and thought no way I'm gonna see a thing . We got to the timber edge and the dogs eyes went up and nose down. Quickest 6 squirrel i ever got. Funny how that old dog would look at me after he would circle the tree and look up as to say hey dummy they are up there. And they were every time .
Guys if your close and can make it you will have a blast.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
When I lived in PA doublebarrel 16 ga for grouse, woodcock and pheasant.

Pheasants are long gone and I no longer live in PA but thats some of the best hunting I ever did.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline lmbunch69

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 10:24:43 PM »
Love squirrel hunting almost as much as deer and turkey. Just enjoy the challenge and how crafty they can be.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »
Squirrel sitting down with various 22 rifles. Lots of leaves or walking around with an old single shot .410.
Rabbits with beagles , same old .410.
Pheasants and dove or quail with a 20 sxs or auto.
Preserve quail and chukar with a 11-48 .410.
Sold all the 28 gauges. Shells got to high. Have to admit though, they were great for rabbit, chukar, dove and quail.   

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 11:17:50 PM »
Haven’t squirrel hunted since I was a kid. Then it was a 10/22.

Somebody here will relate to this statement from my grandpa-“Boy quit shooting those squirrels in the head, you’re ruining the best part!”

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:27:25 PM »

Somebody here will relate to this statement from my grandpa-“Boy quit shooting those squirrels in the head, you’re ruining the best part!”
LOL  , Grandmas squirrel eye gravy!

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 04:27:10 AM »

.22 or 20 gauge, depending on the situation

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »

Scrambled eggs and brains.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
I was just beginning to squirrel hunt when my accident happens in 2001 so I have missed out on a lot of experience with it but when I first started I only had the 12 gauge so I used that and then I got the 10-22 and used nothing but that for them. Made for a lot less shot to chew around.

I have never heard of using dogs for squirrel, used them for coon a little though, that was a lot of fun. Used dogs a lot on coyote and fox though, that can be an adventure.

I remember the squirrel would always run to the other side of the tree which was a pain and then one day I was watching these guys hunting them on I think The Sportsman's Channel, they showed where they would put a tennis ball inside of a sock and when the squirrel would run to the opposite side of the tree and they would pull that sock out and give it a throw to the other side of the tree and the squirrel would come right back to their side and they would shoot it. I decided to give it a try myself and it worked really well, you just had to be sure you were ready to shoot when they came back around or they would run back to the other side of the tree on you again when you shoulder the gun.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 07:26:43 PM »
I was just beginning to squirrel hunt when my accident happens in 2001 so I have missed out on a lot of experience with it but when I first started I only had the 12 gauge so I used that and then I got the 10-22 and used nothing but that for them. Made for a lot less shot to chew around.

I have never heard of using dogs for squirrel, used them for coon a little though, that was a lot of fun. Used dogs a lot on coyote and fox though, that can be an adventure.

I remember the squirrel would always run to the other side of the tree which was a pain and then one day I was watching these guys hunting them on I think The Sportsman's Channel, they showed where they would put a tennis ball inside of a sock and when the squirrel would run to the opposite side of the tree and they would pull that sock out and give it a throw to the other side of the tree and the squirrel would come right back to their side and they would shoot it. I decided to give it a try myself and it worked really well, you just had to be sure you were ready to shoot when they came back around or they would run back to the other side of the tree on you again when you shoulder the gun.
Save yourself the headache and just throw a rock or a stick. The commotion is enough to drive them around. Or, use a dog. They’re generally so focused on the dog that they don’t much care what the hunter does. That’s what makes it great for my girls. Don’t have to be quiet. They can talk all they want and making noise in the dry leaves isn’t an issue. Honestly, I love it. If I had to choose today between chasing rats with a dog or deer from a tree, I’ll quit deer hunting. But put s big buck in front of me and I’ll probably change my mind real quick. That’s about the only thing that keeps me going back to deer hunting. All squirrels look the same unless you get a black or white one. Fox squirrels don’t excite me and I let most of them go these days. Deer OTOH, they’re different. I do like that.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »

Save yourself the headache and just throw a rock or a stick. The commotion is enough to drive them around. Or, use a dog. They’re generally so focused on the dog that they don’t much care what the hunter does. That’s what makes it great for my girls. Don’t have to be quiet. They can talk all they want and making noise in the dry leaves isn’t an issue. Honestly, I love it. If I had to choose today between chasing rats with a dog or deer from a tree, I’ll quit deer hunting. But put s big buck in front of me and I’ll probably change my mind real quick. That’s about the only thing that keeps me going back to deer hunting. All squirrels look the same unless you get a black or white one. Fox squirrels don’t excite me and I let most of them go these days. Deer OTOH, they’re different. I do like that.

I really would like to go squirrel hunting again but the work to skin them is rather hard on my hands anymore. I don't do much bullhead fishing anymore for the same reason. Whatever I get I throw back anymore. I wish I liked salmon, they would be worth the time and pain involved but I have never liked them, my dad used to make salmon patties when I was young and I would just go to bed without any dinner. Same thing when my step mother would make liver.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."