OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cherry over walnut ??  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Cherry over walnut ??
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:54:30 AM »
Box call builders ??

Ever done this combo on a paddle call or a short box ??   Cherry paddle/walnut box ??

The widow of a since passed old buddy of mine........the only sort of turkey hunting mentor I had to get started........was having an estate sale today.   Basically walk through the house and outbuildings and if you wanted something, they'd name a price.   Well.......my old buddy was a PREMIER builder of Bedford-style flintlocks and other types of muzzleloaders.  I spent a lot of hours talking to him in his shop as I watched him work.  His old shop was mostly cleaned out.   But I found one chunk of 8/4 walnut with KILLER boxcall grain pattern........enough for 2 calls.  I also found a couple pieces of 3/4.  One was walnut.  One was cherry.  I'm going to choose a builder to make me a Cost-style match set from the wood I got.    I know walnut over walnut will work.  But I don't know as I've ever seen cherry over walnut.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Jeffwhitecustomcalls

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Jeff white custom calls
Re: Cherry over walnut ??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:02:34 AM »
I've done it on a short but not a long box. I liked the way it turned out but I only done one.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Jeffwhitecustomcalls.weebly.com

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »
I have a Jeff Mckammey call in this exact combo cherry over walnut and it sounds fantastic,,it's my number one "less then perfect" weather day call when I  don't want to take out my pricey Mann's,Dawkins,Watkins and sound probably just has good. It's a hunter killer.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 04:10:19 PM »
Appreciate the replies, fellers !!

Keep em coming !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »
  Interesting combo Yoder and i am sure it will be a special call when it's made, hope to see the pictures in the near future, good luck!

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
I have that combo from Albert Paul. I think it was made in ‘01.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 11:40:57 PM »
Mr Albert Paul seems to make several cherry lid calls that do run very well . he would be my first choice to ask about the combinations , since he seems to have the most experience dealing with it , second would be Jerry "Dad "White but its a stretch to get ahold of him these days. Jerry has quit doing shows , and I don't know hiw many boxes he is still building .