OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Similar, but with a twist  (Read 4973 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Similar, but with a twist
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
Always enjoy seeing the opinions of others on these types of topics. Wanted to let it run a bit before throwing in my two cents.

While I still think the 25-06 is the ideal cartridge for deer sized game and smaller, I’ve always felt the best compromise for EVERYTHING in North America was the 270. Well, I felt that way after carrying and using one for quite a few years. I’ve since sold mine and have no regrets but if I had to pick only one, that’d be it. But, we live in ‘Merica where our choices are unlimited (so far) and that’s why I’ve left it open.

For deer and smaller, I’m still going with a quarterbore. Don’t much care which one so long as it carries good velocity and doesn’t ruin a barrel in short order. Either the 25-06 or the Roberts is fine by me.

For the larger stuff, that’s where things get tougher to decide. Hard to beat the specs on the 338 win mag but the 30 cal options are just ridiculous. Wanting a lightweight 30 cal with magnum performance, last year I decided to go with a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed in 300 WSM. And, if I could only pick one rifle, EVER, for the rest of my days for everything that moved, that would be it. Can’t really argue with its track record on any/all NA game and I’ll never make it to Africa so that doesn’t matter much to me. Having said that, with the right bullet, I highly doubt a Cape Buffalo will shrug it off entirely. Sure he’ll probably run some but they do the same with much larger stuff as well.

Thanks for the replies gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 09:40:05 AM »
10 gauge with TSS

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
10 gauge with TSS

Haha. Awesome.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 02:08:05 PM »
300WM

Offline Tomfoolery

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 04:14:51 PM »
Sticking with my .308

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 08:21:21 PM »
Always enjoy seeing the opinions of others on these types of topics. Wanted to let it run a bit before throwing in my two cents.

While I still think the 25-06 is the ideal cartridge for deer sized game and smaller, I’ve always felt the best compromise for EVERYTHING in North America was the 270. Well, I felt that way after carrying and using one for quite a few years. I’ve since sold mine and have no regrets but if I had to pick only one, that’d be it. But, we live in ‘Merica where our choices are unlimited (so far) and that’s why I’ve left it open.

For deer and smaller, I’m still going with a quarterbore. Don’t much care which one so long as it carries good velocity and doesn’t ruin a barrel in short order. Either the 25-06 or the Roberts is fine by me.

For the larger stuff, that’s where things get tougher to decide. Hard to beat the specs on the 338 win mag but the 30 cal options are just ridiculous. Wanting a lightweight 30 cal with magnum performance, last year I decided to go with a Browning X-Bolt Hell’s Canyon Speed in 300 WSM. And, if I could only pick one rifle, EVER, for the rest of my days for everything that moved, that would be it. Can’t really argue with its track record on any/all NA game and I’ll never make it to Africa so that doesn’t matter much to me. Having said that, with the right bullet, I highly doubt a Cape Buffalo will shrug it off entirely. Sure he’ll probably run some but they do the same with much larger stuff as well.

My browning A bolt 25.06 is one nice rifle. Like the Browning rifles all but the A bolt 3. :)
On that 300 WSM , have you done any loading tricks to bring it down to a more manageable deer cartridge or do you just like that one stout? I worked with a friends Tikka just a bit, not much data then. It didn't group very well except pretty hot.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:46:38 PM by owlhoot »

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 08:46:56 PM »
Not trying to side track this conversation but I have killed deer with small bore up to large bore and do not understand the overkill thing. It comes down to the bullet selection that ruins meat. I have killed a whoooole lota deer and my 338 or 300 win mag does no more damage than a 30-06. I love bang flop with no trailing. My guns are heavy for the most part so recoil is not a big deal. I hunt outta tree stands 90 percent of the time so lugging a 13 pound rifle is not bad. If I mountain hunt or stalk then I understand the weight thing. My browning bar in 35 whelen would be my go to for that. In my opinion I would call a 50 BMG overkill. Last thing , I killed a bunch of deer with a 243 that ruined more meat than with my bigger magnum cartridges. Again , bullet selection. Just my 2 cents. Now I will get back on topic. Sorry for the derail.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »
Not trying to side track this conversation but I have killed deer with small bore up to large bore and do not understand the overkill thing. It comes down to the bullet selection that ruins meat. I have killed a whoooole lota deer and my 338 or 300 win mag does no more damage than a 30-06. I love bang flop with no trailing. My guns are heavy for the most part so recoil is not a big deal. I hunt outta tree stands 90 percent of the time so lugging a 13 pound rifle is not bad. If I mountain hunt or stalk then I understand the weight thing. My browning bar in 35 whelen would be my go to for that. In my opinion I would call a 50 BMG overkill. Last thing , I killed a bunch of deer with a 243 that ruined more meat than with my bigger magnum cartridges. Again , bullet selection. Just my 2 cents. Now I will get back on topic. Sorry for the derail.
DErail  huh. just opinions . To clarify recoil wise i was referring too . Most are not 13 pound rifles so by manageable i meant using the various rifles for different game by loading for the situation at hand. Power and choice of bullets. For instance the 7mm Rem mag is easily and accurately loaded to 280 and 7mm-08 velocities. Loaded up it is a bomb with 140 grain hornady spire points anyway. graze off some bone and it is bone fragments to the butthole.  Heavier constructed bullets help. 35 whelen 200 grain didn't tear up any I shot with it either.

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »
DErail  huh. just opinions . To clarify recoil wise i was referring too . Most are not 13 pound rifles so by manageable i meant using the various rifles for different game by loading for the situation at hand. Power and choice of bullets. For instance the 7mm Rem mag is easily and accurately loaded to 280 and 7mm-08 velocities. Loaded up it is a bomb with 140 grain hornady spire points anyway. graze off some bone and it is bone fragments to the butthole.  Heavier constructed bullets help. 35 whelen 200 grain didn't tear up any I shot with it either.

I was not even referring to your post , if I was then I would have quoted you. I was just putting my opinion out there. Good to be an American. If you felt I was referring to you then my bad. My main point was the overkill thing. I just added the weight and recoil thing.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 10:11:18 PM »

I was not even referring to your post , if I was then I would have quoted you. I was just putting my opinion out there. Good to be an American. If you felt I was referring to you then my bad. My main point was the overkill thing. I just added the weight and recoil thing.
Nope didn't take that way. Reading your post just made me think I had better clarify mine a bit.
That and I like chatting about this stuff. Also agree with what you said, made sense. Just opinions.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »

My browning A bolt 25.06 is one nice rifle. Like the Browning rifles all but the A bolt 2.
On that 300 WSM , have you done any loading tricks to bring it down to a more manageable deer cartridge or do you just like that one stout? I worked with a friends Tikka just a bit, not much data then. It didn't group very well except pretty hot.
Negative Ghost Rider. Haven’t played at all in terms of bringing it down. Keep it off the bone and she’ll play nice enough anyway. Any hit to the spine or shoulder is gonna waste meat. But that’s true for any caliber.

What is it you don’t like about the A-Bolt 2? I don’t particularly care for the AB3 but felt that the 2’s were great guns.

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »

Nope didn't take that way. Reading your post just made me think I had better clarify mine a bit.
That and I like chatting about this stuff. Also agree with what you said, made sense. Just opinions.

Good deal. I also like talking about these things. Good stuff. I see where you were coming from also. Keep this thread rolling.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2019, 10:41:41 PM »

My browning A bolt 25.06 is one nice rifle. Like the Browning rifles all but the A bolt 3. :)
Negative Ghost Rider. Haven’t played at all in terms of bringing it down. Keep it off the bone and she’ll play nice enough anyway. Any hit to the spine or shoulder is gonna waste meat. But that’s true for any caliber.

What is it you don’t like about the A-Bolt 2? I don’t particularly care for the AB3 but felt that the 2’s were great guns.

Not one darn thing wrong with the Abolt 2.   Its what I have .  Its the Ab3 i meant too.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
This is the bulk of meat damage. I like to see a deer drop at the impact as well. This is much easier to obtain with light-for-caliber bullets. They blow up super quick and dump more energy into the quarry. This often leads to more meat destruction. Speed kills, but everyone knows this already. Bullet selection is definitely a large factor. Kinda makes me want to go for round 3 but I’m sure some are tired of these threads already. Someone else get that ball rolling! Hahaha

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »

Not one darn thing wrong with the Abolt 2.   Its what I have .  Its the Ab3 i meant too.
I figured. And yes, the AB3 is misleading. Welcome to Browning’s budget rifle. They did a great job of marketing though. Using an old name for new sales. Truly wish they’d given it a totally new designation. Maybe I’ve not given it a fair shake yet though. Didn’t like the X-Bolt at first either. But now,...