turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Similar, but with a twist

Started by wvmntnhick, August 16, 2019, 11:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Discussed the "if you could only pick one rifle for everything up to/including deer..."

It's been good so far but I'd like to take a moment and change it up just a bit. Some of those that posted already took this angle but most did not. If you're taking one caliber to the grave, for everything that graces this planet, what would it be? I'm talking elk, moose, the big bears, etc. Only thing I'd suggest, let's skip the elephant talk. For the vast majority that's just a pipe dream. Let's stick with the typical American stuff and I'll allow everything up to Cape Buffalo. I know what I'm taking but I'd like to hear from the remainder. And I'll allow 2 choices this time. I mean, it's the internet. How could I stop you anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Rzrbac

Spitten and drummen

338 win mag. Custom built with a nightforce sitting on top of it. I have a browning bar I had re bored to a 35 whelen. I chose the 338 because of the long range ability. The 35 whelen I have is my favorite out of the 11 high powered rifles I own. Flat stomps whitetails.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jester87

Dr Juice

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chris O

300 win mag would be the largest I would go with chances are I wouldn't run into that many big bears and the 300 would kill all of them if hit good. You said we could pick 2 so my even more preferred would be 7 mm mag for deer, elk, moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal

Buff? I'll take a .375 and load down from there.

Fieldturkey

I think it's always better to be over-gunned for the smaller animals than under-gunned for the larger  ones in this conversation so I'd say 300 win would be my choice.

zelmo1

.375 H&H and 6.5 creedmor, pretty self explanatory, lol

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Rzrbac on August 17, 2019, 01:05:26 AM
300 Win Mag since I have one.

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on August 17, 2019, 01:36:45 AM
338 win mag. Custom built with a nightforce sitting on top of it. I have a browning bar I had re bored to a 35 whelen. I chose the 338 because of the long range ability. The 35 whelen I have is my favorite out of the 11 high powered rifles I own. Flat stomps whitetails.
These are the two that popped into my head when you added Capped Buffalo as well as the 375 H&H but I have zero experience with any of them or Capped Buffalo, just going on reputation of all including the Capped Buffalo.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Will