OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Premetherin that I need  (Read 2801 times)

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Premetherin that I need
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
 They advertise that your clothes will stay treated through 6 washing cycles. Safe to wash your kid's clothes? I would think so but I'll take a mulligan just to be safe. I've been told that the heat from a dryer makes it less effective so line dry out of the sun or touch-up after drying. My pre season routine I lay out several sets of hunting clothes, vest, cushions and wet them down. I then take my clothes and seal them in a trash liner until the next day. I then take them out and let them dry. Every thread in them gets soaked. Then after washings I touch up a little. Cuffs, a quick spray over the garments to be sure. As mentioned I also keep an aerosol can in the truck to always have handy. It works! I've been in the woods several times with other people and they would pick up ticks. Nothing on me. 

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
Sawyers works great.  Just be sure and spray outside on a day with little to no breeze and wear gloves.  I go as far as to turn the clothing items inside out and get that side as well especially around the cuff and waistband and the cuff, waist and neck of shirts.  Do your gloves, your hat, your socks, jacket(s), anything your going to use.  I get enough to make sure I have several jackets treated depending on the temp and rain.  I don't wash anything (except socks but I'll treat a couple of pairs) after its treated, if I sweat I hang it outside and let it air dry.  I back up with no less than 30% deet or picaridin also around cuffs and boots.  I go as far also to put permethrin on my vest, inside and out.  No ticks as long as I do this, might get cancer when I'm older but you do what you gotta do.  I don't spray my sons clothes with it but he'll get some form of spray with picaridin around his cuffs, etc.   

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
I use Martins 10% permethrin.  Mix 1 ounce with 19 ounces of water (.5%).  It smells when you initially spray on your clothes but not so much after drying.  With a deer sense of smell, I would say they will pick it up on your clothes.  I don't go in the spring woods without it.  Hang your clothes on the clothes line, spray everything down and let dry.  Great stuff for ticks!!!!  Plenty of Martin's on Ebay with free shipping.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 03:50:34 PM »
I would not hesitate to use this stuff during deer season. I hunt the wind anyway. Sawyers is working very well for me although I will mix my own for next Turkey season. Main thing is everyone knows about this stuff and hopefully uses it. I will be using it year around as I am in the fields almost daily not to mention my yard which is heavily infested. Probably because the deer like my tomato Plants.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
I use Duration concentrate that I get from Travelers Supply.  I use it to treat my hunting clothes and the clothes I travel to Asia with.  I contracted Falciparum Malaria in Quezon on Palawan, Philippines about 30 years ago and it dang near killed me.  That was as sick as I've ever been and I don't wish it on anyone.  Luckily, Plasmodium Falciparum is not recurring, so once I recovered, it didn't come back, and I've been good to go since. 

Duration is extremely effective, as I can't remember the last time I got a tick bite.  The best thing is that Permetherin is not just a repellent, it kills those aggravating little ticks, chiggers, and skeeters if they contact it too long.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 06:08:08 PM »
 Using permethrin is a good thing to keep seeing, not often you can say this is something we all need to agree on. At the top of the general forum is five permanent posts. The first one is good to read on tips, mixing ratios, etc.