OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Can only pick one!  (Read 13412 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: Can only pick one!
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »

Quote from: wvmntnhick
Layne wasn’t afraid to push the envelope. His data was much hotter than the books allow. I’ve got a copy of the article his was published in. Blows my mind how much they doctored it down. Having said that, I personally can’t get to where his data leads. My chamber is a bit tighter I’m guessing. It shows pressure signs on the brass quicker than his. Matter of fact, at his data, I get brass back that has the head stamp practically erased from the case. Primers pretty much fall out too. Regardless, my velocity is still right on the heels of his with less powder.

As for the bullet, at that range, it should’ve still pummeled that deer. I’ve used the NAB out of that gun. It was still a bomb. But, I clipped a shoulder so that could’ve made all the difference.

I'm gonna take a wild.guess that you are using R22 powder.......... ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »

Layne wasn’t afraid to push the envelope. His data was much hotter than the books allow. I’ve got a copy of the article his was published in. Blows my mind how much they doctored it down. Having said that, I personally can’t get to where his data leads. My chamber is a bit tighter I’m guessing. It shows pressure signs on the brass quicker than his. Matter of fact, at his data, I get brass back that has the head stamp practically erased from the case. Primers pretty much fall out too. Regardless, my velocity is still right on the heels of his with less powder.

As for the bullet, at that range, it should’ve still pummeled that deer. I’ve used the NAB out of that gun. It was still a bomb. But, I clipped a shoulder so that could’ve made all the difference.

No sir! H1000 is the only powder I’ll run down that tube. R22 had some serious pressure/temp sensitivity issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »

No sir! H1000 is the only powder I’ll run down that tube. R22 had some serious pressure/temp sensitivity issues.

You better believe it has issues !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »

I’ve used it before. Not in that rifle. But I’d loaded and shot on a day when the temps were in the mid to low 50’s. Summer cake and I tried it again with the temps in the 80’s. Couldn’t hardly lift the bolt. Last I touched it. Sad part, a buddy of mine swears by it. Says he’s never had an issue. Don’t understand it.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »
Any body else ever notice when someone says 308 is their choice they don't say much else ;D
It’s hard to discuss the merits without laughter. Like the 30-06, it just does everything well enough that it’s gotten mundane. I’ve killed more deer with the 308 in the past few years than Tommy Lee gave women hepatitis. Great cartridge. Mine will do less than 1/4” with 5 rounds at 100 yards so long as the nut behind the stock isn’t too loose. Hard to argue with the 308 in the end.

yep 30.06 bores me to tears.  I much prefer the 308. Less powder, less kick , handier rifle . After that it's a 150-165 grain bullet into tight groups and done.

I'm not a gun collector, I only need one rifle. Growing up I shot a Savage bolt action 30-30 for years with a 3x9 slightly side mounted several degrees off center. It made nice little clover leafs at 100 yards with factory loads but a family member needed a starter gun, and I needed a new rifle. A Model 70 Featherweight in stainless with a nice piece of walnut furniture in .308 fit the bill for "less powder, less kick, handier rifle" perfectly. I haven't found a better handling rifle than this .308.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2019, 10:07:25 PM »

I’ve used it before. Not in that rifle. But I’d loaded and shot on a day when the temps were in the mid to low 50’s. Summer cake and I tried it again with the temps in the 80’s. Couldn’t hardly lift the bolt. Last I touched it. Sad part, a buddy of mine swears by it. Says he’s never had an issue. Don’t understand it.

Same story here.

An R22 load that shot lights out in late October backed primers out the following May.   I have a bunch of R22 I'd make someone a deal on..........

IMR-7828 is what my Model 70 likes to eat with the 140 grain stuff.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2019, 10:28:58 PM »

I've used it in a 30.06 loaded hot , still in the Nosler Data limits though with 180 grain partitions.
Never any problems . Great velocity and accuracy, summer and fall temps.
RL 19 100 grain NBT 25.06 Nosler data couldn't even get past the middle charge without pressure signs.
Sierr@  book data 100 grain Sierr@  pro hunter and hornady 100 sp RL 22 no problems.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:03 PM »
Any body else ever notice when someone says 308 is their choice they don't say much else ;D
It’s hard to discuss the merits without laughter. Like the 30-06, it just does everything well enough that it’s gotten mundane. I’ve killed more deer with the 308 in the past few years than Tommy Lee gave women hepatitis. Great cartridge. Mine will do less than 1/4” with 5 rounds at 100 yards so long as the nut behind the stock isn’t too loose. Hard to argue with the 308 in the end.

yep 30.06 bores me to tears.  I much prefer the 308. Less powder, less kick , handier rifle . After that it's a 150-165 grain bullet into tight groups and done.

I'm not a gun collector, I only need one rifle. Growing up I shot a Savage bolt action 30-30 for years with a 3x9 slightly side mounted several degrees off center. It made nice little clover leafs at 100 yards with factory loads but a family member needed a starter gun, and I needed a new rifle. A Model 70 Featherweight in stainless with a nice piece of walnut furniture in .308 fit the bill for "less powder, less kick, handier rifle" perfectly. I haven't found a better handling rifle than this .308.
I sight in a guys rifle about every two years or so , new scope or shells. Its a model 70 compact 308 wood stock , a beauty. Very nice straight shooting rifle .

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2019, 09:29:35 AM »
308 win.    :z-guntootsmiley:

^^ This.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »

^^ This.

Jim

Naw: there are no winners in this discussion. Just opinions.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »

^^ This.

Jim

Would sure like to hear some reasons why this would be some of your all around choices. throw in some specifics on bullets you like too. :toothy9:

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2019, 11:09:45 PM »
For Coyotes to Deer as dual purpose, I'd have to side with a .257 Roberts. Good varmint bullet selection and makes me feel a tad more comfortable with the idea of shooting deer with a .257 as opposed to a .24 or smaller caliber. Irrational? Absolutely, but it helps me sleep at night! FWIW, I tend towards splitting the two and going with a .222 Rem/.30-06 Sprg combination.

Offline James gang

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
30 cal. guy myself 308 win hard to beat ammo available pretty much anywhere ( and affordable )short action light weight great knock down power very accurate ???????? snipers used them for years very fond of the 22-250 also but if i had to pick just one it would be the 308 just a personal preference  you should shoot whatever you can hit what your aiming at with lol

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
 "you should shoot whatever you can hit what your aiming at with lol
[/quote]

That how I feel. 308 okay cal but 30-06 is better

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline James gang

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:16 PM »
I do love my old browning 30-06