OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can only pick one!

Started by wvmntnhick, August 14, 2019, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on August 18, 2019, 09:38:06 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on August 18, 2019, 12:42:49 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on August 17, 2019, 09:28:53 PM
Any body else ever notice when someone says 308 is their choice they don't say much else ;D

OK..........you sucked me in........

The .308 Win is just so boringly effective that there's just not much else TO say.  The .308 with most any 150 grain bullet will do everything the OP asked about and more. 

I, personally, do NOT use a .308 Win as my one-gun battery.  But I would in a heartbeat if (Heaven forbid) I ever were forced into such a hell.
One gun , man that's a scary thought.  Be one tough choice for sure.
Why? It's tough when you're faced with a decision in which you've already had plenty of options. But think about it this way. If you're buying your first gun to do it all and have no intentions of ever buying another, Yoder is kinda on the money. While I feel there are better choices than the 308, it does everything the typical hunter will ever need with relative ease. It's an inherently accurate round with lots of bullet options. It may not deliver the whiz bang speed that people want these days but as was witnessed by my hunting partner, it's more than enough for deer at 663 yards and I'd push it farther if the conditions were perfect again. That 155 amax did an amazing job. I'd still choose the WSM or Win Mag if only given one choice but I'd not feel under gunner with the 308 regardless what I was chasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 19, 2019, 07:40:46 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on August 18, 2019, 09:38:06 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on August 18, 2019, 12:42:49 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on August 17, 2019, 09:28:53 PM
Any body else ever notice when someone says 308 is their choice they don't say much else ;D

OK..........you sucked me in........

The .308 Win is just so boringly effective that there's just not much else TO say.  The .308 with most any 150 grain bullet will do everything the OP asked about and more. 

I, personally, do NOT use a .308 Win as my one-gun battery.  But I would in a heartbeat if (Heaven forbid) I ever were forced into such a hell.
One gun , man that's a scary thought.  Be one tough choice for sure.
Why? It's tough when you're faced with a decision in which you've already had plenty of options. But think about it this way. If you're buying your first gun to do it all and have no intentions of ever buying another, Yoder is kinda on the money. While I feel there are better choices than the 308, it does everything the typical hunter will ever need with relative ease. It's an inherently accurate round with lots of bullet options. It may not deliver the whiz bang speed that people want these days but as was witnessed by my hunting partner, it's more than enough for deer at 663 yards and I'd push it farther if the conditions were perfect again. That 155 amax did an amazing job. I'd still choose the WSM or Win Mag if only given one choice but I'd not feel under gunner with the 308 regardless what I was chasing.

Why? Because one gun wouldn't be much fun.  Can i choose one caliber for my hunting? yes
25.06 because at this time its whitetails and coyotes. I can be in some thick stuff on my place or open on some others I hunt.  Would the 308 work, heck yes . Do i want to shoot varmints with 150 grain? No . I also shoot my rifles , reloading hobby and targets. Do i enjoy shooting the 308 more than the 25.06, 6.5 creedmoor. Nope. The 300 wsm and 300 win mag wouldn't be my choice either. Way too much for my purposes . Now some really open country mule deer and elk and such , 300 mags , I'm in. Prefer the 7 mags though.
The 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice for 1 if out west would be included.
Caliber choice is not for me anyway , the only factor. I consider rifle type to be an important part of the equation.

wvmntnhick

Can't go wrong with the 7 mag brother. I've had a few over the years. Dropped them all in favor of the 7 STW. It's bad medicine for open country game.

Flounder

Another for the 6.5 Creedmoor, fine shootin round and ive shot a bunch.

Yoder409

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 20, 2019, 06:02:17 AM
Can't go wrong with the 7 mag brother. I've had a few over the years. Dropped them all in favor of the 7 STW. It's bad medicine for open country game.

The 7-STW is BAD TO THE BONE !!!    It's what I always thought Remington SHOULDA done and called it the 7mm Rem Mag.    Thank the Lord for Layne Simpson !!!   The STW, loaded to HIS data, is nothing short of nutz !!!   I've been monkeying with one for about a decade.  Consider a rifle that shoots a 140 grainer at about the same numbers as the .22-.250 shoots a 55 grainer......... THAT'S NUTZ !!!   Mine's an accurized Model 70 Classic Stainless.  Very good shooting rifle !!!   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

owlhoot

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 20, 2019, 10:32:13 PM

The 7-STW is BAD TO THE BONE !!!    It's what I always thought Remington SHOULDA done and called it the 7mm Rem Mag.    Thank the Lord for Layne Simpson !!!   The STW, loaded to HIS data, is nothing short of nutz !!!   I've been monkeying with one for about a decade.  Consider a rifle that shoots a 140 grainer at about the same numbers as the .22-.250 shoots a 55 grainer......... THAT'S NUTZ !!!   Mine's an accurized Model 70 Classic Stainless.  Very good shooting rifle !!!
Have to ask, is that what you shoot? The 140's ? I do like the fact that that it can drive the heavier bullets faster which the 7 rem mag cannot . The 160 grain and up it is impressive.

Yoder409

I've only used 120's and 140's so far.   Have some 150 or 160 (forget which) VLD's to try next.   The lighter bullets are more just for the thrill of watching them go through the chronograph.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

roberthyman14

Probably 45-70 just for fun.  I hate coyotes. I try to shoot them all in the face with any weapon I have. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on August 20, 2019, 10:52:47 PM

Have to ask, is that what you shoot? The 140's ? I do like the fact that that it can drive the heavier bullets faster which the 7 rem mag cannot . The 160 grain and up it is impressive.
Personally, I use the 160 federal trophy bonded tip. Haven't killed anything with that bullet but the group is around 2" at 500 yards. Less if I do my part. I've used the 139 Hornady sst at speeds that would make The Flash blush. One whitetails, it's entirely too much. Won't use it again like that. Might be fine at distance but at typical woods ranges, it's a touch hard on meat. It'll turn then inside out in a hurry.

turkey_picker

308 because of the wide range of factory loads and great selection of bullets to handload. I have a Tikka T3 Lite Compact in 308 that will do everything I want to do.  :z-winnersmiley:

Yoder409

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 21, 2019, 09:22:06 PM

Personally, I use the 160 federal trophy bonded tip. Haven't killed anything with that bullet but the group is around 2" at 500 yards. Less if I do my part. I've used the 139 Hornady sst at speeds that would make The Flash blush. One whitetails, it's entirely too much. Won't use it again like that. Might be fine at distance but at typical woods ranges, it's a touch hard on meat. It'll turn then inside out in a hurry.

I won't give my load recipe.  But it's Layne Simpson data.

I get 3605 fps with 140 AccuBonds........which is, apparently, too fast for them.  I use this rifle to punch paper and.ring steel.  But I shot a whitetail doe behind the front shoulder with it at about 275 yards years back.   The AccuBond made a 7mm hole in and a 7mm hole out.  Never expanded.   If I didn't have a half dozen guys helping me look for the deer, I'd likely have never found her.   Never a drop of.blood.
PA elitist since 1979

owlhoot

Crazy how some bullets work isn't it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 21, 2019, 10:14:07 PM

I get 3605 fps with 140 AccuBonds........which is, apparently, too fast for them.  I use this rifle to punch paper and.ring steel.  But I shot a whitetail doe behind the front shoulder with it at about 275 yards years back.   The AccuBond made a 7mm hole in and a 7mm hole out.  Never expanded.   If I didn't have a half dozen guys helping me look for the deer, I'd likely have never found her.   Never a drop of.blood.
Layne wasn't afraid to push the envelope. His data was much hotter than the books allow. I've got a copy of the article his was published in. Blows my mind how much they doctored it down. Having said that, I personally can't get to where his data leads. My chamber is a bit tighter I'm guessing. It shows pressure signs on the brass quicker than his. Matter of fact, at his data, I get brass back that has the head stamp practically erased from the case. Primers pretty much fall out too. Regardless, my velocity is still right on the heels of his with less powder.

As for the bullet, at that range, it should've still pummeled that deer. I've used the NAB out of that gun. It was still a bomb. But, I clipped a shoulder so that could've made all the difference.

owlhoot

Needed some bone for resistance ? Or another 275 yards or further to slow down to NORMAL rifle velocity levels. LOL.
Seriously thats interesting.  So with 308 Win I had loaded the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 20" barrel at 2775 for my young son. I had some older ones and some newer. (box had changed style). Of course this load would shoot 5 in one hole so I loaded all of them I had left in new nickle REM brass. Deer killing time came and a nice buck with one side that had a full double beam, points and stickers everywhere, came by our blind and I swear the kid hit him perfect. Only about 75 yards, no blood and i watched the deer go across the pasture and jump the fence. No blood and never found.  He hit one buck the next year in the neck, I told him too, went right down. Cool its all good. Next weekend hit a doe at 80 or so, she tore off full tilt like she was hit but no blood and no deer. That evening another doe at about 50 yards i know was hit as it was nocked over the pond dam and at about dark we went up to get her and no deer. kick her out of the brushpile at the other end of dam 30 minutes later with only a few spots of blood where she was hiding, after that nothing. Another lost deer. Went back to farm and pointed truck lights up range and had him shoot off the same tripod he uses in the blind. Two bulleyes at 100. Next doe shoulder hit and a 20 yard dash and down. Ok good right. Every one of those deer , in my experience with a .243 and 100 grain core-locks would have been down. Next deer a big buck 400 yards , I tell him shoot and the buck kicks and runs , follow blood 200 yards and notta. 3 days of searching found him hit perfect really, caliber size hole. 150 inch buck. Enough. Buy a box of hornady custom with 150 grain SST. next year doe at 150 DRT. Big buck, 140" at 275 DRT. About 10 deer since with hand loaded SST 150, DRT or 30 yard dash at the furthest. No comparison to what your using I know but just wanted to add it to the discussion.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on August 21, 2019, 11:23:33 PM

Needed some bone for resistance ? Or another 275 yards or further to slow down to NORMAL rifle velocity levels. LOL.
Seriously thats interesting.  So with 308 Win I had loaded the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in a 20" barrel at 2775 for my young son. I had some older ones and some newer. (box had changed style). Of course this load would shoot 5 in one hole so I loaded all of them I had left in new nickle REM brass. Deer killing time came and a nice buck with one side that had a full double beam, points and stickers everywhere, came by our blind and I swear the kid hit him perfect. Only about 75 yards, no blood and i watched the deer go across the pasture and jump the fence. No blood and never found.  He hit one buck the next year in the neck, I told him too, went right down. Cool its all good. Next weekend hit a doe at 80 or so, she tore off full tilt like she was hit but no blood and no deer. That evening another doe at about 50 yards i know was hit as it was nocked over the pond dam and at about dark we went up to get her and no deer. kick her out of the brushpile at the other end of dam 30 minutes later with only a few spots of blood where she was hiding, after that nothing. Another lost deer. Went back to farm and pointed truck lights up range and had him shoot off the same tripod he uses in the blind. Two bulleyes at 100. Next doe shoulder hit and a 20 yard dash and down. Ok good right. Every one of those deer , in my experience with a .243 and 100 grain core-locks would have been down. Next deer a big buck 400 yards , I tell him shoot and the buck kicks and runs , follow blood 200 yards and notta. 3 days of searching found him hit perfect really, caliber size hole. 150 inch buck. Enough. Buy a box of hornady custom with 150 grain SST. next year doe at 150 DRT. Big buck, 140" at 275 DRT. About 10 deer since with hand loaded SST 150, DRT or 30 yard dash at the furthest. No comparison to what your using I know but just wanted to add it to the discussion.
The NBT has changed. Shouldn't have made much difference in the grand scheme. They beefed up the jacket some with the change in labeling. This much I know. Well, at least in the 6mm and 7mm offerings anyway. They didn't explode as rapidly as the original. But, solid hits should've left dead deer regardless. I've had strange things happen with all types of bullets though. Heck, even with the Hornady IB's. Some would act like a FMJ and others like a grenade. From the same box no less. It's odd. Still left dead deer but the performance always had me on edge. If the deer was still on its feet, I was still pulling the trigger. If you wanna know what changed my mind on them all together, shoot me a pm. I'm not gonna post it on an open forum.