turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can only pick one!

Started by wvmntnhick, August 14, 2019, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCbowjunkie

I asked myself this same question several years ago. I wanted one gun if was coyote or whitetail deer hunting that would be great at both and not so much kick. As I looked over the 6mm/243 bullets that were available. The ballistics and BC where just what I was looking for. I wanted a load to do both so one I set it up it it would do the job. So I ended up with the 243WSSM. Shooting my hand loads of 70 gr BT and with good glass a coyote don't stand a chance   Now some of you will say 70 gr is not for deer I will argue that  instead of shooting for brown I shoot for the tick in its ear DRT   Ever seen what a 6mm projectile traveling at 3800fps will do a deers brain. Not pretty but there is no adrenaline pumped into the meat as it tried to run. No tracking. Now this is not for everyone but it is what works for me. Now when I go to Kentucky, Missouri I will carry my 270 and further west for elk a 300 weatherby goes with me. Now I'm ready to start another build for crow, coyote and deer which I have decided to build a 20 tac on a AR frame.

tal

A lot of calibers mentioned would be fine. A .243 loaded with proper bullets would do the trick, bullet selection being important to game size. The late great Jack O'Conner said the .270 was good for anything in North America with the exception of grizzly. Long range 6.5's are taking the market by storm. Right on the heels of the 6.5 Creedmoor is the 6.5 PRC. .257, 25-06, .280's..... Like so many things I think it  boils down to preference.

NCL

For me it is not about caliber but practice and in the field shot placement. Years ago used to hunt with a guy that killed an elk with a .222, but to put that in perspective he was an incredible shot, saw him cut a deer's throat that was on a dead run with a shot  that was about 300 yards. He shot all  the time and probably shot about 10000 rifle rounds a year. He would bring about 5 or 6 rifles with him to hunting camp every year. He was a firm believer in small calibers and shot placement and I do not think I ever saw him with a caliber larger that 25.06. What is the old saying, "beware the man who only owns one gun"

tal

Off topic but the comment of the one gun shooter caught my eye. I always liked the saying that you never bet money with a guy shooting an old model 12, with all the bluing gone and missing the front bead.

Happy

With the ability to reload and the choices of bullets available there is really not a wrong answer as far as modern centerfire cartridges go. The ability to choose good shots and put the bullet on target should be more of a concern to many as opposed to the mental gymnastics of trying to find the "perfect" gun. If that is done perfectly then the rest is a mute point. I shot an 8 point last year at about 50 yards with a .223 after an acquaintance of mine hit it with a 7mm. It made it about 300 yards with his shot which was low and back a tick. I caught up to it and it dropped where it stood with a head shot. Which is a better caliber?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

Quote from: Happy on August 15, 2019, 01:20:59 PM
With the ability to reload and the choices of bullets available there is really not a wrong answer as far as modern centerfire cartridges go. The ability to choose good shots and put the bullet on target should be more of a concern to many as opposed to the mental gymnastics of trying to find the "perfect" gun. If that is done perfectly then the rest is a mute point. I shot an 8 point last year at about 50 yards with a .223 after an acquaintance of mine hit it with a 7mm. It made it about 300 yards with his shot which was low and back a tick. I caught up to it and it dropped where it stood with a head shot. Which is a better caliber?

7mm, if the shooter did his job then the deer would not have ran 300 yards.  You cannot blame the caliber for bad shooting.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

PharmHunter

Quote from: Dr Juice on August 15, 2019, 04:39:17 AM
7mm Rem Mag at 140-grains. A flat shooter with plenty of wallop and the recoil is still bearable for me.

Like this combo.

Happy

"7mm, if the shooter did his job then the deer would not have ran 300 yards.  You cannot blame the caliber for bad shooting".

We will have to agree to disagree. My answer you won't notice much difference if proper shot selection is used along with the ability to put the right bullet construction where it needs to be. In my opinion far to many use larger calibers as a band aid for crappy marksmanship.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mtns2hunt

Love the different opinions in this post: think it would have been better titled "Best single rifle with factory loaded ammo." If you can't shoot its a moot point but if you can shoot and reload any almost any rifle can be loaded for most game.

I started with an old 30-30 then moved to a 7mm mag (down loaded the mag) shot out the barrel on the Mag moved to a 30-06 and killed every thing I could with it bears, lions, coyote and deer. Currently shooting a 243 Browning for everything. Also have been using a TC Pro hunter 50 cal for everything from bears, coyotes ground hogs and deer. We live in a great age for our wide selection of rifles, shotguns and muzzle loaders. Each to his own I say! :z-guntootsmiley:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

owlhoot

25.06    75 grain to 120 grain, makes a bad day for whats in it way!

Crghss

.243 unless I still reloaded, then I'd go with 26 Nosler.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

mtns2hunt

Quote from: davisd9 on August 15, 2019, 01:25:25 PM
Quote from: Happy on August 15, 2019, 01:20:59 PM

7mm, if the shooter did his job then the deer would not have ran 300 yards.  You cannot blame the caliber for bad shooting.

Agreed, 7 mm is an awesome round. Burned the barrel out on mine but planing on rebarreling as its a Sako Finnbear. Shot everything from ground hogs to deer with it. Main point is choose a rifle you can handle and learn to shoot it well. Practice, practice
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: owlhoot on August 15, 2019, 05:42:20 PM
25.06    75 grain to 120 grain, makes a bad day for whats in it way!
Full disclosure, the 25-06 is my all time favorite deer cartridge. I've only ever had one "mishap" with that round and unfortunately, there was a witness there to corroborate what happened after I'd already taken the time to brag up the adequacy of that round. I'd honestly never had a deer take a step after being hit with a 100 grain bullet from that gun until that day. The 120's left me to do some short trailing but the 100's never did. UNTIL THAT DAY. And, I'll take full responsibility for it. Was running that pill way to hard and while the placement was good, it exploded on the rib upon entry and only got one lung. It decimated that lung, ended up veering off course through the diaphragm and into the paunch. Deer covered some ground and if it wasn't for the snow, I doubt I'd found it. Got lucky but I'll take it. Still love it but don't carry it anymore due to sentimental value. Now, there's a custom 257 Bob that fills the void and will be an amazing rig for my girls. Hoping my 9 y/o gets hers with it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liljake

I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Chordeiles

Pretty much any caliber above .243 would work with the proper load.

Some states don't allow big game hunting with anything smaller than centerfire .23 caliber. Virginia being one.