OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 20 gauge 870 compact

Started by 2eagles, October 10, 2019, 03:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

870 compact seems to be a sweet little shotgun. Came in camo with sling swivels and spacers to lengthen the stock. I tore it apart today for a thorough cleaning and that seemed more difficult than my Wingmaster, not sure why. I bought it to get on the 20 train and also for my grandkids to have a gun that might fit them better.
It came with a modified choke tube and that's a start, but I'm sure I'll buy something better before spring season. I'm planning on shooting 20 - 35 yards, not out to 50. I wanted a 20 to cut down on weight, not increase distance. Any of you 20 shooters want to offer suggestions, fire away. Thanks!

Oh, in Iowa 8 shot is the smallest we can use.

Greg Massey

Nice gun, if you don't want to shoot TSS, then i would look at Winchester long beards number 6 and either Sumtoy or Trulock ... 555 or 565 ....

SteelerFan

You'll enjoy toting the 20 around. The express is far from the wingmaster regarding fit & finish - but it will function just fine (just ordered a 2nd one myself - sale / rebate $250).

I've had good luck with a Sumtoy .562-5 shooting heavyweight and tss. I haven't tried any longbeard ammo or any other "turkey" loads. Even for 30 yds and under, I think I would go with a tighter choke than the modified. Something in the .555 - .565 range ??

Good news is plenty of time to tinker...