OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Roll your own  (Read 5776 times)

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Roll your own
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:50:40 PM »
Ok. So I’m looking at doing my own TSS or hevi shot shells.
Does it really save any money? Or make a difference in patterns?

Seen where the cheaper press reload option is gauge specific? I have 12&20 and may get 28

I see where you can get pre-primered shells. So I would just need appropriate wads, powder and shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Roll your own
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
It depends on how many shells per year you shoot. If you only shoot 6-8 shells per year just buy them. I got in it 4 years ago before you could buy them commercially and I have several hundred dollars tied up in equipment and supplies but I can load 3 gauges. Performance is comparable from what I see. When I run out of my supplies I will be buying them.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:45:48 PM »
It depends on how many shells per year you shoot. If you only shoot 6-8 shells per year just buy them. I got in it 4 years ago before you could buy them commercially and I have several hundred dollars tied up in equipment and supplies but I can load 3 gauges. Performance is comparable from what I see. When I run out of my supplies I will be buying them.

yea i think i shot 3 to pattern and 3 for the season last year. so may be better off just buying them

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
Yes, the initial cost is around 200 bucks for a couple tools and roll crimper.  The components minus the TSS will probably run you around 100 bucks, but you will no longer be at the mercy of suppliers and CQ will be completely under your control. 

Offline hootgobbleyelpgobble

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
Also when you roll your own shells, you know exactly what is in them, how they were made, etc.

Cheaper- not really but you know what you have in the end. If you shoot a ton and are loading for buddies, you may break even over time.

Difference in pattern-maybe because you can consistently get the same load every shot.

Who ever you buy shot from, should give you a few recipes to try for reloads. That should also have a component list with what is needed and where to purchase.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:14:00 PM »
I say if your younger guy , roll your own, but i agree with others , if your just going to shoot few year just buy them. At my age i just buy them. Apex is good about running specials which does help.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:14:04 AM »
There have been some issues with the commercial loads that are now available.  It is true that that can happen with any load or manufacturer but one seems to have one issue or another every year and cannot keep up with the demand of their shells.  Another is known for high pressures in their shells, I have shot HWs from this manufacturer in the past. 

The upfront investment is about $250-350 bucks depending on what you buy and how much.  I decided to start loading my own as I was tired of chasing lot numbers and the cost of the shells continuously rising.  After getting in to loading shells it has been very fun.  It adds something extra to the hunt and gives you away to burn some of the anticipation while waiting on the season.  I have enough supplies outside of shot to last me a lifetime so I do not see myself buying factory loaded shells for a 20 gauge, all I load for.  I have bought some Browning TSS 410 loads and if I get a giggle to tote a 12 ga a time or two again I will probably just find the cheapest 3" TSS load I can find.  Maybe loading is not for everyone but long term you do save money, but the money is not something I worry about cause it is still one of the cheapest parts of the hunt while being the most important.  Good luck.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 08:53:18 AM »
You probably will not save money, but that is not my primary motivation.

Nothing ticks me off worse than not being able to find the shell that I want to shoot because everybody has them on back order.

As others have mentioned, there are never quality control issues like shells that are marked 9s that are actually loaded with 7s or getting a box full of shells that is full of buffer because one or more is leaking.

I can also load exactly what I want. For instance, I load a 12 ga 1.25 oz load of 9s for the open barrel of my O/U and a light recoiling 1&5/8 oz load with a light charge of a relatively fast burning powder for the long barrel. If you buy shells, you are at the mercy of what the mfg thinks will sell.

Then there is the satisfaction of taking a turkey with a shell you have loaded, which is a very good feeling.

And I personally enjoy the hobby. I load all of my shotgun and CF rifle ammo.

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
I like controlling every aspect. I make my own friction and mouth calls so I figured I might as well roll my own shells. It also gives me another turkey related thing to work on in the off season!

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
Many good points in favor of loading your own TSS. I am very frustrated at not being able to find the shells or  once finding the shells being able to get the right size shot. As stated you are at the mercy of the manufacturer.

Another point is that 7.5, 8, 9 or even 10 shot is all I have seen. Turkey hunting is tons of fun but I also like chasing Coyotes. Number 4 or 3 shot is better then 7.5 or other turkey loads but they are unavailable except for the hand loader.
Finally, I am very big on quality control and big manufactures do well but with the  huge volume they produce mistakes will slip by. Just my 2 cents
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline mrclif

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:04 AM »
I load all my ammo I hunt with other than dove loads. Been loading TSS going on my 7th or 8th year, it adds to the preparation fun to me. With it offered in factory loads my only savings now is probably because the only shot I waste now is at turkeys, the  shot trap is a gamecharger for patterning costs. I enjoy shooting and loading my shells it just adds to the experience to me.