OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

28 Gauge

Started by zelmo1, August 11, 2019, 09:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Anybody have a 28 gauge that they would recommend. I only have a tube set for my o/u SportingClays gun. Real heavy and 32" barrels. Not a turkey gun. Not a big deal but I love my 28. Thanks, Al

crow

CZ Bobwhite,

they show up on gun broker from time to time

Yoder409

I have an old Iver Johnson Champion 28 single I have kicked around having tricked out.

We're I to go modern, I'd look real hard at the Tri-Star Viper G2 .   Pretty economical buy and light as a feather.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wchadw

I was looking at one for my son. Question is, can you find shells??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Oh, HECK yes !!!

You can find Winchester AA in Walmart.   All sorts of lead options online.  Apex offers TSS turkey loads.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

What about the Mossberg Auto International SA-28 gauge that come with 5 choke tubes , sweet looking gun...anyone own one of these ?

chipper

Heard some good reports on the mossberg sa28 but no personal experience. I own a Franchi AL48 that has been great and a buddy of mine owns a Tristar V2 that he rabbit hunts with that he says has been bullet proof so far.

owlhoot

Quote from: crow on August 11, 2019, 10:25:09 PM
CZ Bobwhite,

they show up on gun broker from time to time
I have a 20 , double triggers are great for a turkey gun.  Only thing is mines too purty to camo.

The G2 was supposed to be out this summer. And available in 28 also.
Not sure on choke tubes?  My 20 is older model and is huglu threads.

owlhoot

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 12, 2019, 10:32:39 AM
I have an old Iver Johnson Champion 28 single I have kicked around having tricked out.

We're I to go modern, I'd look real hard at the Tri-Star Viper G2 .   Pretty economical buy and light as a feather.
The viper G2 is nice.
I don't own one but shot a box or two at clays with a rep. no problems .

zelmo1

Finding a " full sized", camo lightweight 28 gauge is harder than finding bigfoot riding a unicorn playing chicken with a jackelope riding nessie.  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Yoder409 on August 12, 2019, 10:32:39 AM

X2.  Own one and love.  It's badddddddddd medicine with t9.5s on turkey heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal

Quote from: zelmo1 on August 19, 2019, 08:32:44 AM
Finding a " full sized", camo lightweight 28 gauge is harder than finding bigfoot riding a unicorn playing chicken with a jackelope riding nessie.  :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:
LOL. Now that's hard.

owlhoot

looks just like that.
A 870 express pump with a 25" barrel , at least it is dull finished.
Or the camo hyro-dip on anything.  Funny .410 some are camo, 28 gauge well that is  another story.

crow

Camo on guns is optional, I would go with the gun you like.

I hunt a non camo Bobwhite and don't see any difference in getting picked off
For a couple of nice camo jobs, checkout in the archives what "DocHolliday" and "The Woodsman" did to their doubles.

Magdump

The Beretta A400 Xlor 28 gauge is a really sweet shotgun!   I run Apex TSS in it.  Thing has never let me down!