turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Another new to mouth calling question.

Started by Danger DAve, August 05, 2019, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Is it typical to not be able to play the simpler calls well that you started out with after you start playing "more advanced" triple Reed calls with more agressive cuts.  I started out with two Reed's as is usually advised, and loved the zink's z yelper.  Now I sound awful on it.   Now I'm learning about how to control my air, and I love having it affect the sound on different places on the call.     I recently got a gooserbat PLS and really want to like it, and sometimes I do.  I looked at is as a trip down memory lane to my cheap boss hens I learned on.   But probably better, and it is I'm sure on other mouths.   I'm enjoying the journey and get good feedback here, so just throwing it out there.  Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Learning how to use mouth calls is a progression that generally goes from just learning how to make noises, to learning how to make some noises that resemble turkey sounds, to learning how to make even better sounds,...and finally, to perfecting those sounds.

The learning process also includes adjusting ones "mechanics",...which include position of call in relation to the palate, positioning of the tongue to control air flow and sound, and the use of the jaw, throat and diaphragm in also controlling air flow/volume.  Those mechanics change with time, as well. 

In addition, during that process, we all go through different levels of satisfaction.  Those early, simple calls sound good because we are satisfied that we sound kinda like a turkey. As time passes and we get better, we are not just satisfied with sounding kinda like a turkey,...we want to sound as much like a turkey as we can.

The final stages are often a function of learning what types of calls we can make the best sounds with. In the end, I think a lot of us ask ourselves,..."Now why did I think those early calls sounded good?"   ;D

Danger DAve

That was a great response, and very helpful GobbleNut.  It also made me feel good about my progress.  Thanks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk