OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anybody else experience this when learning mouth calls?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Danger DAve

Anybody else experience this when learning mouth calls?
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
Anyone get a new call, play it for a while, think it's the best call ever!  Put it on the next day, and hate the sound, and wonder why you loved it originally?   I'm new to mouth calls kinda.  But I'm in for the haul, and sticking to it.  Just wondering, cause it's weird, and it's happened before.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Anybody else experience this when learning mouth calls?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:17:00 AM »
Is your top reed stuck to the 2nd reed? Place a reed separator in mouth call between uses. This might answer your question or may not be tbe issue at all.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 12:23:56 AM »
I have a few calls like that that are finicky, when that happens I just spit them out and pop in a better call that I'm more familiar with. Sometimes i'll rotate the weird ones back in a time or two but if it keeps happening I'll get rid of it or sometimes some mouth calls are way better at certain things like maybe purring or loud cutting or maybe just yelping. I have a few that I only use for coyote howling-one of my favorite locator calls. Eventually you'll find some calls that you can use for everything-cull the rest unless they have a specialty purpose.

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 04:31:00 PM »
Yep, sounds like your reeds are stuck together.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »
In my experience, mouth calls have a shelf life. When they go, they go!  Leaving one in a vehicle in high temps will kill one quickly. I pitch them as soon as I think they lose their desired sound. I don’t baby mine or really attempt to take good care of them. I buy some before season and have generally wore a couple of them out after a few weeks. Reeds sticking will happen quite a bit for me. Generally just flip them around and blow the reeds apart.  I’m the guy that always has a dip of Copenhagen in so they certainly don’t last me long and I realize that. If I was planning on trying to preserve one and extend its life I would store them in a contain in a cool dark place after rinsing them with mouth wash.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
Anybody else experience this when learning mouth calls?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 06:57:18 PM »
Your saliva will cause them to stick together. Simply rinse under running water after EACH use. Gently rub the latex under water.

You can use things to separate the reeds. Some use tooth picks or break off pieces of a plastic fork. I don’t use them,I prefer to pat them dry with a paper towel and let them air dry on the counter. Then put them in a snuff can with holes drilled in it. Store in the frig every day.

They will will be slightly stuck together when dry, reverse the call and blow into the cut reeds and try to push saliva into them, keep running the call in the car on your way to hunt, they will separate.

Heat and saliva will ruin a mouth call.
You can get years out of one if cared for properly.

Some mouth wash can be hard on the tape adhesive, if you choose to use mouth wash use alcohol free.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »
once or twice a season put the in fridge in tupperware with water and a little mouth wash, they will be like new over night, Mike

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:07:40 AM »
All of the above ideas are good ones and apply at some point or another.  The bottom line is that latex is finicky, and there are a lot of conditions that will impact it.  To me, the best way to deal with that fact is to always have a variety of calls available to use at any one time while hunting. 

A call that sounds great today with today's conditions may sound less-so tomorrow.  Sometimes it is simply a matter of switching calls rather than trying to sort out why that great call you had working for you has suddenly started sounding more like a goose than a turkey.   ;D

Offline Danger DAve

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I got it figured out.  I usually run combo cuts and this is a ghost cut.  When I first played it apparently I got lucky when I had it in my mouth the first time.  The next day I was trying to run it like I do my combo cuts, which sounded not so great.            I'm back to loving it now.  It's the only call I can run quietly without having to work hard at it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk