OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey vest

Started by Old Timer, July 21, 2019, 02:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

I have been looking at some of the vest on the market. I just do not think some of the newer ones are functional. Tiny pockets for what? Some so small i wonder what the purpose of them are. Special pocket for thermocell? Really. I prefer the older designs room enough for a couple slates and strikers, couple box calls. Shell pockets and room for mask and head net. I guess i must be getting old because some of these do not appear comfortable or functional. Big price also. Your thoughts?

Rzrbac

Yes I agree, for the longest I didn't even own anything but some camo T-shirts. Times have certainly changed, I confess I pack way more calls and equipment needed to kill a gobbler. 

I really wonder who designed some of the vests, they certainly have a different way of hunting than I do 

The best part of my latest vest...a hydration bladder holder. It's the most practical pocket on my vest. Probably not what most folks would want but it saves packing several water bottles.

Sir-diealot

I am on my first vest, an RNG 300 and as Rzrbac said I really like the water bladder capacity. I grew up throwing everything into the cargo pockets on my pants and into a backpack so this vest stuff is new to me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bobk

A satchel makes a good alternative to a vest. I made the switch several years ago and am very satisfied with the satchel.

Happy

I like a good vest. I agree that a lot of the newer ones look more like something a fellow on a bomb squad would use but some of the older designs are good.Been using a super elite 3 for many years now. I dont carry many calls but a do like to carry lunch and something to drink. I do like having a seat pad as well but it seems like it's hit or miss on whether I actually use it. Just cause a vest has a lot of pockets doesn't mean they need to be filled either. One of my biggest peeves is that they dont seem to make them out of quiet, sturdy cloth anymore.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Old Timer on July 21, 2019, 02:54:27 PM
I have been looking at some of the vest on the market. I just do not think some of the newer ones are functional. Tiny pockets for what? Some so small i wonder what the purpose of them are. Special pocket for thermocell? Really. I prefer the older designs room enough for a couple slates and strikers, couple box calls. Shell pockets and room for mask and head net. I guess i must be getting old because some of these do not appear comfortable or functional. Big price also. Your thoughts?

100% agree. I found a couple of old school Green leaf turkey vests on eBay. American made quality materials. Non of the shiney blended fabrics just cotton. There are plenty of them on eBay you just have to keep an eye out to find one not faded or tore up. I found one that was like new looked never worn for 40$. Nows  the time to look the prices will get higher  when hunting season gets close.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spitten and drummen

Guess Im in the minority. I really like my nomad.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

3bailey3

Glenda Green satchel, never need a vest again!

Jrkimbrough

I'm hooked on my RNG-300 vest!  Tried a lot of vests, most were too bulky, didn't fit right or the seats sucked. Rng works great with a water bladder and adjusts perfectly to your liking

Jester87

Love my rng-300 too. Quiet, lightweight, highly adjustable, practical pockets I can access quick and it stays close to the body while I'm hiking thru the rough stuff. I have buddies that stuff everything into cargo pockets and others that use fanny packs. Everyone has their preferences. 

CALLM2U

I'll admit, I love a good vest.  I used to only take a backpack but it was very inconvenient for me. 

This year, I started using a water bladder and it's been a game changer for me. 

Last year I used a Tenzing TV18 and enjoyed it.  But I'm always looking at what else is out there...

Old Timer

Here's an old one for you. My fall vest now.

Rzrbac

Quote from: Old Timer on July 22, 2019, 03:46:19 PM

Love that pattern. I had a T Shirt in that when I was a kid. I thought I was something first time I wore it to the woods.

bobk

Quote from: Old Timer on July 22, 2019, 03:46:19 PM

Great  camo pattern.

roberthyman14

I look like a sporting goods store.  My vest has 3 slates. 2 boxes, a handful of mouth calls, a water bottle holder.   Then a big pocket that holds 2 thermacells, a few extra shells and a flashlight.  It has a padded seat.  Then I have a Turkey chair that goes over shoulder.  My hat has 2 spots for mouth calls. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk