OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bow poundage

Started by fallhnt, May 04, 2011, 10:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Lots of threads pose the question of bow poundage for turkey hunting.If using expandables I say shoot high poundage.I have a 27 in. draw and shoot 70#.This is a story to back it up.I shot a longbeard on Mon. at 5 yrds.on film.I saw him lay down about 10 yrds. in real thick stuff.I went after him 10 min. later with an arrow ready.He ran/flew and I lost him in the thick stuff.I looked as long as I could and had to leave for work.I came back the next am. with no bow becouse I knew he was dead,I watched the hit on camera.I started looking where I left off,I saw him go about 30 yrds.I bent down to look under some thick stuff and he putts and runs off!I ran him down,he only had a 30 yrd run left in him.Yes,he was still alive the next day.When I cleaned him I broke the upper part of the left drum stik,and the left wing,at the "elbow".He had a big hole in his left side,2in. expandable, and I could see his guts.TURKEYS ARE TOUGH!This is the second time I left a bird overnight that was still alive the next day.This is my 6th longbeard this spring and at 70 # not 1 arrow has pasted through!

[attachment deleted by admin]
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

drenalinld

I say shoot the highest poundage you can easily handle in hunting situations and shoot accurately.