OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which pump???

Started by Boykin Hollow, July 15, 2019, 06:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boykin Hollow

I am going to purchase a 20 gauge pump to shoot turkeys.  I have narrowed it down to these three:
Mossberg 500 turkey edition,  Remington 870 or the Browning BPS.  I had a BPS early in life that I shot ducks and turkeys with and enjoyed it.  Your input will be welcomed.  Thanks for your suggestions.

runngun

I would have to go for the Browning BPS!!!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Spring Creek Calls

Of those 3, the Browning. A used 1300 would serve you well also.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Greg Massey

870 you have lot more options with this gun, with stocks etc ...

CrustyRusty

I had a 20ga bps with 26" barrel.  Excellent gun but it weighed as much as my sbe2. I now have an 870 with camo finish from Walmart and it shoots just as well and is shorter and lighter and came with stock spacers to adjust lop.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 15, 2019, 08:37:58 PM
870 you have lot more options with this gun, with stocks etc ...

This is true.

Also I started with the full size gun and 26" barrel. Ended up with the youth model. Found a choke it really likes, load my own shells, added a pistol grip stock. Love that little gun. Everyone I hunt with is now building or has built a mini 20 870 now.

Boykin Hollow

CrustyRusty
I hand load tss9's what choke are you running in your 870???

CrustyRusty

I'm using a truglo ssx. I tried the factory turkey choke, a titewad and a HS Strut because that's all I had.  The SSX threw a great pattern, followed by the titewad.  Sorry but I don't remember the numbers.

nyhunter

USMC0331

I have a BPS, REM 870 youth and Mossberg super bantam.  Mossberg is a solid shooter but a little noisey,  BPS fit and finish is the best, smooth operation, heavier, and as stated eariler ,  very few aftermarket goods. The 870 has  tons of modifications  possible,  solid performer and lighter which can be nice but if using the  3inch shell it feels like your shooting a 12 guage.

Boykin Hollow

Thanks for everyone's input.  The more I look the more confused I get.  I am even considsering an Ithaca Model 37 now.  Not the light weight one but the regular weight size

wbpc

For hunting turkeys a Remington 870 is hard to beat. Very affordable, dependable and a solid built gun. There are lots of after market stocks and parts to choose from if you want to customize it some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recurve

mtns2hunt

I hear alot about fit and finish. Of course you're going to select a gun that fits you well to start. I would suggest you look carefully at the trigger. Is it crisp with no creep and is adjustable. I used a BPS to fill my first slam and all of my second but one bird. However, the trigger was heavy and had a lot of creep. (Also remember this is a turkey gun not for the dove fields).

I think that the trigger is everything in a rifle and shotgun. So I took my T/C muzzle loader and put a 20 g barrel on it. I switched out the springs smoothed out the sear following instructions from Mike Bellum. Sweetest shooting shotgun ever! So what ever you buy check out the trigger carefully. Many stores won't even let you near the trigger as they band it in case you go postal at the gun counter. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

SOCOM304

Great options. I'd opt for the 870 personally. Tons of options out there for it to add on/customize.