OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Laundry List-Money No Object  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
Laundry List-Money No Object
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:54:28 PM »
I have been turkey hunting for around 20 years now and am completely fed up with production calls.  Seems like as soon as I find a call I like, it wears out before season starts.  I always order backups, but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack to get down to "the sound" I like.

Now I'm going to get this thing done right.  I don't want to half a$$ this either.  I am going to setup a spot in my camper (work on the road, so time isn't an issue) and start figuring this situation out. 

I want the laundry list too.  Jig, press, profs/latex, scissors, tape, frames, etc.

This will be strictly for my own use, unless I make a few for family and friends...but 90% of the calls will be for me only.  I have watch several videos, read a bunch on this forum, and articles on this.  So I have a list already compiled, but I wanted to make sure I got it all.

I am fully willing to spend a good chunk of money on this...to say am fed up with production calls cannot be overstated. :character0029:

Just a list please guys...what would be your setup to create the most consistent call?
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Laundry List-Money No Object
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
Here would be my list to start with...  (this is based on using Pioneer as your supplier)
Materials:
1) Frames:  start out with crowned adhesive frames in two or three sizes.  (If you get youth frames, you will have to order youth tape, as well, which has a smaller hole cut)
2) Latex:  get an assortment of latex thicknesses and colors up to .004.  (standard thicknesses are proph/.0025, .003, .004         (depending on your source.  You may be able to get other thicknesses.  Anything above .004 or thereabouts is too thick to use from my experience)
3)  Tapes:  get whatever colors you want to use,...just make sure the hole size corresponds to the frame type. 

Press, Jig, or Other:
If you want to spend the money, a press is the most consistent call making instrument.  A jig is less expensive, but less exacting.
"Other" constitutes making calls without a press or jig, which is very possible, and obviously the least expensive. It is the least consistent, although you will get where you can be pretty consistent by "feel".  It also gives the added advantage of being able to stretch the reeds in multiple-reed calls individually,...which may or may not be an advantage.

Note: consistency in calls is in part a function of not only the lateral stretching process, but also the reed spacing, backstretch, and cut consistency.  Those things are not related to the use of a press, jig, or other method.  In addition, it is still "up in the air" as to whether any individual piece of latex has the same tonal properties as the next, even when all of the call construction elements are as consistent as you can get them. 

Offline Bwk

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:31:09 AM »
I get my supplies from 2 places. Pioneer and Dead End Game calls. The most common frame is small crowned adhesive. All of my favorite calls have a .004 top reed and .0025 or .003 for the two bottom reeds. You will have to experiment with reed colors to see what you like best. Natural is a good one from Pioneer and I like the Black from Dead End. They both carry everything you need. I use a hand jig to make mine. But if money is no object call Thad at Feather Ridge for a press and cutter. Good Luck!

Offline featheridge

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:45:11 AM »
I have been turkey hunting for around 20 years now and am completely fed up with production calls.  Seems like as soon as I find a call I like, it wears out before season starts.  I always order backups, but it's like finding a needle in a hay stack to get down to "the sound" I like.

Now I'm going to get this thing done right.  I don't want to half a$$ this either.  I am going to setup a spot in my camper (work on the road, so time isn't an issue) and start figuring this situation out. 

I want the laundry list too.  Jig, press, profs/latex, scissors, tape, frames, etc.

This will be strictly for my own use, unless I make a few for family and friends...but 90% of the calls will be for me only.  I have watch several videos, read a bunch on this forum, and articles on this.  So I have a list already compiled, but I wanted to make sure I got it all.

Contact Me at Email address   Featherridge@woh.rr.com

I build Presses,Jigs,Tape Cutters

I am fully willing to spend a good chunk of money on this...to say am fed up with production calls cannot be overstated. :character0029:

Just a list please guys...what would be your setup to create the most consistent call?