OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

National Forest Maps

Started by Fdept56, July 14, 2019, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fdept56

Does anyone have a good place to buy maps? I know about the National Forest Map Store online, but I could easily spend over $100 for everything I'm wanting. MVUM maps would be the most helpful. I've found where you can print them, but everything is too small to read. I have OnX and it is well worth the money but I would like something bigger that I can mark on. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Crghss

For Black Hills SD I used National Geographic. They worked great for me.

https://shop.nationalgeographic.com/collections/maps-and-globes

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

falltoms

I get my topo maps from USGS. They have every map of the United states.  You need to know the name of the quadrants you want before ordering

GobbleNut

Depending on the area you are looking for, the Bureau of Land Management maps are good sources,  I actually think they are better than the Forest Service maps in many regards,...and they are generally cheaper.  If you are headed somewhere to hunt, check to see if there is a BLM office in the area.  They may well have maps of the entire state you are hunting (at least ours do) and you can look for the exact maps you want for the area. They are 1:100,000 scale, which is not as detailed as the standard USGS topos, but they do show topography, land status, road systems, etc.

In addition, many of the National Forests now have "Motor Vehicle Use" maps that are invaluable in terms of showing you where you can legally go on the forest.  And even better,...they are free!  You can get them at the Forest Service offices in the area you are hunting.

The MVU maps remove any questions about where you can get to on the forest.  They show the legally-designated Forest Service roads and trails.  ACCESS is a big (and increasing) problem on our public lands.  Too many landowners nowadays will try to bluff their way into making you think you can't go somewhere.  The MVU maps (and other land status sources mentioned) will give you firm ground as to where you can legally go hunting.   :icon_thumright:

LaLongbeard

Mytopo.com is the site I normally use to by my maps. They have a list of most every state,federal,BLM refuge etc and you can adjust the size and scale of map different options for grids and shading relief. Maps are water proof and you can still write on them. There not very expensive and you can usually find a coupon code for 20% off and free shipping. If you decide to buy a map and can't find a coupon code send them an email and they will give you one.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

greencop01

Go to Google Earth and see any area on earth on Satellites photos. You put in your address and you see your house and the cars in the driveway. Great tool you can zoom in and out, and check out areas. Any areas, from your living room!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

gaswamp