OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mahoe Crystal  (Read 2366 times)

Offline espo16

Mahoe Crystal
« on: July 14, 2019, 03:26:28 PM »
Soundfile in the comments...

https://www.facebook.com/1010354915746089/posts/2255096994605202?sfns=mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: Mahoe Crystal
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »
 :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:  NICE.  :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
I thing that is one of the best Mahoe (Guessing same as blue Mahoe?) that I have seem. Looks real nice.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline espo16

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
I thing that is one of the best Mahoe (Guessing same as blue Mahoe?) that I have seem. Looks real nice.
Thanks Brother. It is indeed Blue Mahoe... most you see either comes from Jamaica or Puerto Rico. This Mahoe comes from PR.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 04:30:51 PM »
Thanks Brother. It is indeed Blue Mahoe... most you see either comes from Jamaica or Puerto Rico. This Mahoe comes from PR.

You're welcome, has really nice grain to it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
very nice

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »
I have several pot calls but cannot say they are from exotic woods. Please excuse my ignorance but will this Blue Mahoe Crystal call sound much different than say a crystal over glass made from oak, walnut or any of the more common woods? I do very well with pot calls but am always interested in improving my knowledge and skill. What striker do you feel works best with this call?

I also liked some of your box calls I researched on your facebook page. I am more familiar with the different sounds from box calls and different woods. Thank you for any feedback you can provide.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline espo16

Mahoe Crystal
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:54 PM »
Mahoe is one of the tonal woods however the sustain is average. It produces very crisp notes. It falls in the hardness scale around that of hard maple. There are many factors that contribute to the sound generated from a pot call. Would it sound different? Given all dimensions were equal yes. Could the dimensions be altered to sound the same as a walnut or cherry pot? Again, yes. Striker choice also plays a large role in how a pot call sounds. I play whatever the birds respond to. One day it may be a pot with a dymondwood striker, the next it may be the same pot with a hickory striker. Might be a box or a diaphragm. Having different choices at your disposal is always a good thing in my opinion as you never know what the birds want on any particular day. That being said, I know a couple older fellas that smash em with a plain old coffee straw and nothing else... I know I went around the world and probably didn’t answer your question...but..... PS.... pm me your address....I’ll send you one. Cheers brother. Val

« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:48:16 PM by espo16 »

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 11:58:16 PM »
Mahoe is one of the tonal woods however the sustain is average. It produces very crisp notes. It falls in the hardness scale around that of hard maple. There are many factors that contribute to the sound generated from a pot call. Would it sound different? Given all dimensions were equal yes. Could the dimensions be altered to sound the same as a walnut or cherry pot? Again, yes. Striker choice also plays a large role in how a pot call sounds. I play whatever the birds respond to. One day it may be a pot with a dymondwood striker, the next it may be the same pot with a hickory striker. Might be a box or a diaphragm. Having different choices at your disposal is always a good thing in my opinion as you never know what the birds want on any particular day. That being said, I know a couple older fellas that smash em with a plain old coffee straw and nothing else... I know I went around the world and probably didn’t answer your question...but.....

No, I think you brought up  some very good points. Many of the custom calls I see appear to be very finely made but are really too nice for me to hunt with comfortably. I am a hunt in the rain and mud type person. I have a select set of pots I hunt and do very well with them. I also use a diaphragm, and box as well as a pushpin.  I understand diversity and matching the call to the bird as well as his mood. Perhaps I am reading too much into the infinite varieties of pot calls and to a lesser extent box calls.

I am confused by the need/availability of so many variances in pot calls but am inclined to believe a large part of the driving force is brought on by collectors. Your reference to Tonal woods and sustain is interesting and is not something I had considered before. How many Turkey hunters have the ear of a musician. How many play the guitar. Unfortunately my hearing has been impacted by shooting heavy magnum rifles and shotguns over the years so as a result I am probably pretty tone deaf. I do however like my pots to be crisp and sharp and my boxes raspy. I will look into and explore the many Tonal woods. Thank you for your response

Offline espo16

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 12:20:50 AM »
No such thing as a call too nice to hunt with. That’s why they’re made... to call turkeys. Every one of those “nice” pots made by all of the heavy hitters out there will hold up better in adverse conditions than run of the mill calls. That’s why they look so good. They take time to ensure it can withstand the elements. Trucks are built to be worked... turkey calls are built to be hunted...

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 08:00:52 AM »
No such thing as a call too nice to hunt with. That’s why they’re made... to call turkeys. Every one of those “nice” pots made by all of the heavy hitters out there will hold up better in adverse conditions than run of the mill calls. That’s why they look so good. They take time to ensure it can withstand the elements. Trucks are built to be worked... turkey calls are built to be hunted...
You could not have said it any better!

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »
I hunt with what I buy with what is used for the outdoors , that's everything
If you saw my stuff you wood think I don't take care of  it.
Too each it's own  use it  or admire it .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
Mahoe makes some pretty calls

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
I hunt with what I buy with what is used for the outdoors , that's everything
If you saw my stuff you wood think I don't take care of  it.
Too each it's own  use it  or admire it .......

I respect your point of view and I also hunt with what I buy. However, I make my living repairing things and tinkering. I have always purchased field grade guns, calls and used trucks. I once did purchase a new truck and was afraid to park close to the store so parked about 100 yards away from everything. Do you know there was a car parked next to my new truck and a guy changing a diaper while banging his car door against my truck. I can laugh about it now but it took a few years. LOL