OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex Spitfire Prism  (Read 15235 times)

Offline TalknTurkey

Vortex Spitfire Prism
« on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »
I have a Savage 220 on the way that I need to put an optic on. I've always just hunted with open sights, so this is new territory for me. I know most people are using red dots or reflex sights, but with my astigmatism red dots don't work out too well.

I stopped at a local store to look around at different options, and the Vortex Spitfire Prism seems like a nice option with a reticle that would work good for turkeys. However, it is intended to be used for an AR, so I'm wondering whether or not it would work. It is made to sit high in order to be mounted to co-witness on an AR. My other concern is whether it would hold zero due to the recoil. Is anyone using one of these on their turkey guns that could share some feedback?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Re: Vortex Spitfire Prism
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »
I have used one. There are two models. One has a variable mount and the other specific to ARs. The model 1301 is probably what you should get. It has spacers to adjust height. Just take spacer out and your good to go. I had borrowed a friends and had it on a SBE2. I liked it a lot and didn’t want to give it back.  The etched  reticle is great and I wish more optics had them.

I presently use a Venom because of its low profile and light weight but if the price was right wouldn’t hesitate to get a spitfire. It held up on my benelli for over a year for turkey and predator hunting.

It does still sit up higher than some red dots so putting a comb raising kit on your stock would be helpful but not necessary.  Good luck

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
I have used one. There are two models. One has a variable mount and the other specific to ARs. The model 1301 is probably what you should get. It has spacers to adjust height. Just take spacer out and your good to go. I had borrowed a friends and had it on a SBE2. I liked it a lot and didn’t want to give it back.  The etched  reticle is great and I wish more optics had them.

I presently use a Venom because of its low profile and light weight but if the price was right wouldn’t hesitate to get a spitfire. It held up on my benelli for over a year for turkey and predator hunting.

It does still sit up higher than some red dots so putting a comb raising kit on your stock would be helpful but not necessary.  Good luck
Thanks for the info...it looks like the 1301 is discontinued, appears they replaced it with the 1303 which is 3x. I liked the etched reticle also, not just because it's easier to see with having astigmatism but I also like the fact that it still works even if the battery dies.

The gun I am getting is supposed to have an adjustable comb on the stock, so the higher mount height may not be an issue. I also considered an EO tech but not sure I want to spend that much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
I’ve had eotech and actually prefer the vortex on a shotgun . The Eotech sits real high and I didn’t like it. Look around for the 1301, sometimes you can find a leftover. Good luck

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
I’ve had eotech and actually prefer the vortex on a shotgun . The Eotech sits real high and I didn’t like it. Look around for the 1301, sometimes you can find a leftover. Good luck

Any issues with eye relief using the Vortex? I know that's one of drawbacks versus using a reflex like the Venom where you can mount it as far away from your eye as you want.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 06:24:15 PM »
No issues for me since I use both eyes open.  Check google for occluded eye aiming.

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »
I have the spitfire 1x on my 870 20ga and love it. Took the middle spacer out and now it sits nicely.
I have the same trouble seeing a normal red dot clearly but the Spitfire is awesome.  Wish it was a little lighter, but otherwise it’s great

Offline TalknTurkey

Vortex Spitfire Prism
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 05:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. This is the optic I decided to go with, I was able to find someone selling new old stock at a reasonable price so I picked one up. Should be here in a few days along with my 220, looking forward to getting it dialed in!

Offline fmf

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
i’ve had mine for a few years now and it is my favorite optic that i’ve used.  i sighted it in once and verify before each season and it has held zero perfectly.  i wish i would’ve put one on my 20 ga instead of a reflex type site, it is that good.

one tip, even though it is no magnification you need to be careful when adjusting the reticle focus.  just adjust it until the reticle just gets nice and crisp and stop there.  if you overdo it it will give objects the appearance of being slightly farther away.  probably not an issue if you shoot both eyes open and definitely not an issue if adjusted properly.

CrustyRusty

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
Good advice...the best way to do this is to look through the scope at a clear sky, then dial the diopter until the reticle looks clear. Good choice and good luck. 

i’ve had mine for a few years now and it is my favorite optic that i’ve used.  i sighted it in once and verify before each season and it has held zero perfectly.  i wish i would’ve put one on my 20 ga instead of a reflex type site, it is that good.

one tip, even though it is no magnification you need to be careful when adjusting the reticle focus.  just adjust it until the reticle just gets nice and crisp and stop there.  if you overdo it it will give objects the appearance of being slightly farther away.  probably not an issue if you shoot both eyes open and definitely not an issue if adjusted properly.

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
You guys were spot on with the feedback. It does sit up high, but with my gun having an adjustable comb height I was able to get it positioned perfectly. I also saw what you meant with the negative zoom. So I backed it out until it was fuzzy, then just adjusted it until the reticle came in clear and now it’s good. I echo your comments about wishing it was a little lighter, but other than that I have no complaints with it yet. Seems like a really great optic!

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 12:09:12 AM »
Found these on sale and I’m thinking about pulling the trigger. Just to be sure, this sight will allow for shooting with both eyes open?  If so, I think this maybe the sight I go with.

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
Found these on sale and I’m thinking about pulling the trigger. Just to be sure, this sight will allow for shooting with both eyes open?  If so, I think this maybe the sight I go with.

Yes, it’s designed to be used with keeping both eyes open when shooting with it. I shot my first bird with it this spring and it worked out awesome. I regret not switching to an optic on my turkey gun sooner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk