OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: reloading  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
reloading
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Im a metallic reloader but never reloaded for  shotgun. Im thinking of doing it. I use a 12 for turkey hunting. Would 2 3/4 inch TSS make a nice load for the 12? i have a friend that reloads 2 3/4 in lead and he does well. He told me he feels a big accomplishment when he takes a gobbler with a handload.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: reloading
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
Yes, a 2.75” TSS shell is more than plenty!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
You will be more than happy with that load. Especially #9’s. You will be able to stuff plenty of them in that hull.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:14 PM »
You will be more than happy with that load. Especially #9’s. You will be able to stuff plenty of them in that hull.
I don't believe he can use those unless he also hunts out of state, we are from same state and can only go down to 8's.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Fieldturkey

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
8s will be fine too

Offline Yoteduster

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:44:37 PM »
8s are outstanding out of a 12ga

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 12:44:21 AM »
If I can swing it I want to try them this year. It will be the only year then will go back to Winchester XR's
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »
If I can swing it I want to try them this year. It will be the only year then will go back to Winchester XR's
   Why do you not look at shooting 20 gauge, with your health problems , lot easier to carry and shoot with your shoulders ....etc ....

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
   Why do you not look at shooting 20 gauge, with your health problems , lot easier to carry and shoot with your shoulders ....etc ....
Because I can't afford a Buice trumpet, how am I going to afford a new gun? Honestly the butt stock shoulder handles it just fine, I just have to get my left healed up so I can keep the front of the gun up without a yoke. In all honesty I am more worried about the 30.06 than I am the 12 Also I would not have most of my firearms if not for money I got from a lawsuit I got from my fathers death, he was electrocuted to death on a construction job when I was 16 and I got money from that and bought the 11-87 10-22 which will become my nephews and one of my muzzle loaders. I can switch to a plastic stock if the weight gets to awful bad I guess, that would shed some weight. I could also remove the 50mm scope from the .243 that I use for chucking and use that for deer as well.

John Koenig:

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
8’s are even better. Just cant fit as many in the hull.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE