OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stevens by Savage 301 Turkey gun (.410)

Started by Muzzy61, July 08, 2019, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzzy61

Anyone have any experience with the Stevens 301 Turkey gun (.410).  This one intrigues me, not trilled that it's made in China, but not a show stopper.
Thinking of getting it for my grandson as his first gun( can't wait to get him in the turkey woods).

Thanks for any input
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

va longbeard

It ain't build like a Holland and Holland double rifle but I think there made as well as the stuff currently coming out of the Remington and Mossberg factories.

Would be a great gun for a kid with the visible hammer and external safety.

For around 160 street price I cant complain about the one I have only gripe would be the finish is similar quality to a 870 express but other than that for the price it is tough to beat it for a single shot with the screw in choke and rail mount which is not common on 410 single shots.

The trigger is growing on me it is around 5 pounds but there is no creep.

Greg Massey

Everyone that i have found is around 200 dollars out the door , that includes taxes and gun check ... I got one in bottomland Saturday cash out the door was 200.00 these are very hard to find in my area ....

va longbeard

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 08, 2019, 09:29:01 PM
Everyone that i have found is around 200 dollars out the door , that includes taxes and gun check ... I got one in bottomland Saturday cash out the door was 200.00 these are very hard to find in my area ....

Kentucky gun company has the 410 mossy oak bottomland stock for $162.99 in stock now shipped free.

If you shop around you may be able to beat that price slightly,

They were scarce last year before turkey hunting season but they are turning them out pretty quick now,

Link to Kentucky gun company stevens 301 410 below.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=138555

Put the cheaper model Primary Arms or a AT3 RD50 red dot on the gun buy some Apex or Foxtrot 9.5 shot TSS ammo and you have a 40 yard low recoil turkey killing machine for less than $250 fully equipped (excluding the ammo price).

Greg Massey

Quote from: va longbeard on July 09, 2019, 06:28:46 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on July 08, 2019, 09:29:01 PM

Kentucky gun company has the 410 mossy oak bottomland stock for $162.99 in stock now shipped free.

If you shop around you may be able to beat that price slightly,

They were scarce last year before turkey hunting season but they are turning them out pretty quick now,

Link to Kentucky gun company stevens 301 410 below.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=138555

Put the cheaper model Primary Arms or a AT3 RD50 red dot on the gun buy some Apex or Foxtrot 9.5 shot TSS ammo and you have a 40 yard low recoil turkey killing machine for less than $250 fully equipped (excluding the ammo price).
Yes , it's about the same i paid , reason why the gun store i have to ship it to will charge you handling fee etc .. so it average about the same price ...  gun check also...

Muzzy61

Thanks for the input and the heads up on Kentucky gun company. Ordering one for my little guy today.

va longbeard

Quote from: Muzzy61 on July 09, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
Thanks for the input and the heads up on Kentucky gun company. Ordering one for my little guy today.
No problem I think the little guy and you both are going to be pleased!

One tip on the trigger get a 410 snap cap and dry fire the heck out of it, made a difference in mine.

Muzzy61

Quote from: va longbeard on July 09, 2019, 05:22:14 PM
Quote from: Muzzy61 on July 09, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
No problem I think the little guy and you both are going to be pleased!

One tip on the trigger get a 410 snap cap and dry fire the heck out of it, made a difference in mine.

Ordered last night and added a couple snap caps, thanks again.

Old Timer

I understand their made in China. Could be thee reason for the low cost. Not saying their not a good firearm.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Old Timer on July 10, 2019, 06:02:44 PM
I understand their made in China. Could be thee reason for the low cost. Not saying their not a good firearm.
Yes made in China , but overall pretty tight gun ...

schief

Ordered one this morning from KGC. With no shipping cost and no sales tax I paid less than what I paid last year from Academy Sports. I had to pay 3% for credit card but still cheaper. I gave it to my grand son. I shot it With TSS #9 with choke that came with it and at 40yds dead bird.

Muzzy61

Quote from: schief on July 11, 2019, 10:04:10 AM
Ordered one this morning from KGC. With no shipping cost and no sales tax I paid less than what I paid last year from Academy Sports. I had to pay 3% for credit card but still cheaper. I gave it to my grand son. I shot it With TSS #9 with choke that came with it and at 40yds dead bird.

Cool, that'cool to hear.

va longbeard

Yep for the price there tough to beat great gun for kids and 50 year olds in there second childhood  :)

schief

Quote from: va longbeard on July 11, 2019, 11:46:24 AM
And 77 year old turkey hunter who has gotten to lazy to carry the heavy 12ga :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

Greg Massey

Quote from: va longbeard on July 11, 2019, 11:46:24 AM

Yep for the price there tough to beat great gun for kids and 50 year olds in there second childhood  :)
X2 i agree on the second childhood ... but don't we love it ....