OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Turkey Hunting tips  (Read 37235 times)

Offline Snipesrule

Fall Turkey Hunting tips
« on: July 07, 2019, 04:26:33 PM »
I have hunted for many years, but am new to turkey hunting and bow hunting in general.  I live in Northern Virginia and am looking for tips for Fall Turkey Season.  What are the best resources for hunting turkey in the fall?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Fall Turkey Hunting tips
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 04:32:41 PM »
Ray Eye or Denny Gulvis videos,on Fall hunting, can't be beat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline donjuan

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
One of the best ways I've found is just to scout and find the roost. Listen to the vocalizations they're making and mimic it. Above all just enjoy your time out in the woods
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Offline rifleman

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
When I fall hunted with my dog and without we'd try to find known feeding and water holes in the George Washington Forest in WV mountains.  We'd walk through those areas until afternoon and then go find water or a known feeding area and take a break (sometimes napping).  I have killed many birds in the afternoon sitting in grapes or wild cherries.  Around dark we'd try to be near an area where they roosted and listen for fly-up and chatter.  If we heard them go up we'd flush them in the dark and head back there next morning.  We'd Listen for the most vocal caller after daybreak and one would go there and try to get that bird or flush it out of the area while the other remained near the original flush site.  If you don't mess with the vocal caller chances are most of the young birds will go to her and disappear.  Don't know how they can disappear but they can.
We'd call loud and often using kee-kees and yelps.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
Fall hunting is all about finding the food turkeys like. If you find them , you got the toughest part of fall turkey licked.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »
If your just taking your bow after them familiarize your self on where to hit them if your body shooting them. There usually not a big blood trail like there is with a deer. They will crawl up into the tightest spots to die. Find their roosts, feeding areas, or water supply. Scout scout scout. Good luck and post up your success.

I

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Fall hunting is all about finding the food turkeys like. If you find them , you got the toughest part of fall turkey licked.

What he said. 

Offline rifleman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
Don't forget dogwoods as a source of fall food.

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:24:07 PM »
There are ten rules for fall turkey hunting. the first nine are "find the flock". Rule ten is break it up. Then you're good to go.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
I agree with the finding turkeys part. Can be easy or tough, seems to change yearly with the mast crop. I would also add identifying the flock....Old gobblers, Jakes or hens and poults. Knowing what they are helps a lot in you calling.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
Search and find the turkeys first ..