OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 20 GAUGE  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
Re: 20 GAUGE
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
I haven't carried my 12 in two years now.  Love the 20 and it's easier on the aging shoulder and the ears too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
I have both and the I have never carried the 20 gauge yet. I like my 12 gauge and #5 lead shot. My 20 is a 40 yard gun all day long with federal hevi weight shells but I just dont feel the urge to carry it. It's been mentioned here before but many could afford to lose way more than a pound or two off their midsection and that would make more sense to me than a lighter gun. Cheaper too.
But if we get cancer us fatties have a better chance of survival than a skinny.. :funnyturkey:
Lol. Speaking from experience, having lost nearly 70#, it doesn’t make the gun any lighter in rough terrain. Don’t get me wrong. Losing weight helped a lot. But, while in Colorado, an 11# gun was still an 11# gun. Switching to that model 7 after day 3 made a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
I switched 4 years ago to the 20 and will never go back.

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »
I switched to a 20 three years ago once I started hand loading tss 9's.  Bought a 410 at the end of the season last year.  No reason to go back to a 12. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 08:56:00 PM »
My 12 never bothered me to carry it until I had shoulder surgery and they had to cut off the one head of my bicep muscle because it was to badly torn to repair. Now I notice it but will never get away from that gun, it is the first decent gun I ever owned and the only gun I have gotten decent eating animals with though they have been few because of hunting bad area's most of my life. I have it so good now where I hunt I am very fortunate.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
I have both and the I have never carried the 20 gauge yet. I like my 12 gauge and #5 lead shot. My 20 is a 40 yard gun all day long with federal hevi weight shells but I just dont feel the urge to carry it. It's been mentioned here before but many could afford to lose way more than a pound or two off their midsection and that would make more sense to me than a lighter gun. Cheaper too.
But if we get cancer us fatties have a better chance of survival than a skinny.. :funnyturkey:
Yeah but I can hide against skinnier trees!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 09:13:59 PM »
I had this problem plying paintball, no trees big enough to hid behind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
Ahhh, paintball. I do miss that.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 09:16:07 PM »
In all serious the 20 will make a great Turkey gun with the right ammo. Nothing wrong with it at all. Whatever floats your boat. Maybe one day I will tote mine but as for now I am good with what I have carried for almost 20 years now.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
Lost a few around the midsection.  The lighter gun sure is still nice. Lead in a 12 sure is cheaper , your right .
I will buy my more expensive shells by saving on the donuts I used to get for breakfast.                          lol

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
In all serious the 20 will make a great Turkey gun with the right ammo. Nothing wrong with it at all. Whatever floats your boat. Maybe one day I will tote mine but as for now I am good with what I have carried for almost 20 years now.
  Why do you think most of us are fat .. just because we're eating fried wild turkey, mash potatoes, biscuits and gravy .. peach cobbler and ice cream for desert , doesn't mean we are fat.. 20 gauge has never told me i was FAT...  :TooFunny:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2019, 09:23:39 PM »

Me too, we played almost every weekend, that and riding my mountain bike most every day kept me in shape for hunting. I will tell you paintball made me a better hunter too, taught me how to blend into my surroundings better, how to move slower and quieter so I did not get shot as often and helped with taking my time and waiting for that perfect shot. (we used to do a game where you only got 1 ball in the hopper and you could not load another unless you hit somebody with it.)

John Koenig:

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »

Me too, we played almost every weekend, that and riding my mountain bike most every day kept me in shape for hunting. I will tell you paintball made me a better hunter too, taught me how to blend into my surroundings better, how to move slower and quieter so I did not get shot as often and helped with taking my time and waiting for that perfect shot. (we used to do a game where you only got 1 ball in the hopper and you could not load another unless you hit somebody with it.)
I much preferred the “spray and pray” method. Having said that, back on topic.

20 gauge. Load it. Shoot it. Watch stuff die. Good luck with it and I’m sure the OP will find a good choke/load that will do just as well as any 12 ga is doing. Side note: I felt like the Winchester LB’s did well enough in terms of patterns for typical shotgun ranges. Bare one thing in mind. You’ll run out of energy before you run out of pattern. It’s not nearly the issue with tss for reasons stated numerous times throughout this forum.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 09:23:14 AM »
Im just posting to post like some other people.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »
I have a new Remington 870 - 20 Gauge + a 28" Barrel. Chocolate Brown Stock + black matte. I just received my new Tru-Glow Turkey choke constricted at 550. Just patterned it yesterday. Tight patterns. Happy with this 20 Gauge.  I will use the modified choke for Pheasants and Woodcock this Oct- then go for the Fall Turkey in New York + New Jersey with the 870 20 Gauge. Swings well and nice and light.