News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Future of hunting

Started by fallhnt, July 05, 2019, 10:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

GN,

You and I are on the exactly the same page philosophically. I grew up that your word is your bond and if you shake hands on a deal you had better stick to the deal. If there is a misunderstanding then we sit down and figure put a reasonable solution. I always viewed permission to hunt someone's property was a gift and a very generous gift, to me more valuable than money because it denoted they trusted you to respect them and their property.

I have been thinking about the responses in this thread for the last few hours and realized much of my perspective is colored by the high degree of urbanization that has occurred in this area. When I was growing up it was mostly timber/lumber and agriculture/ranching. Although they still both exist they are not the influence they were 50 years ago. Most of the ranches back then were large and owned by families that had been here for several generations. Many of those ranches have been sold off and converted to small parcels of land with a single family dwelling. Many that purchased these small parcels are from the larger urban areas that want to get away from the hustle and bustle grow a garden and smell the fresh air. Unfortunately, many of these transplants do not share the early life experiences of good hunting and fishing that I grew up experiencing. When I was growing up it was not uncommon to see ranching trucks parked down at the local watering holes with window racks with a couple of rifles or shotguns. Have not seen that in years. Well get off my soapbox.

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 10, 2019, 08:20:12 AM
I have reached the age where life in prison isn't all that much of a deterrent".
I doubt at your age and condition they would send you to prison.   Probably just make you wear a GPS ankle bracelet and allow you to remain at the KBC Manor old folks home.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on July 10, 2019, 08:58:02 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on July 10, 2019, 08:20:12 AM
I have reached the age where life in prison isn't all that much of a deterrent".
I doubt at your age and condition they would send you to prison.   Probably just make you wear a GPS ankle bracelet and allow you to remain at the KBC Manor old folks home.

:TooFunny:  Don't be too cocky, buddy! ....You are right behind me! 
...."KBC Manor"?...I like the sound of that.   ;D

GobbleNut

Quote from: NCL on July 10, 2019, 08:54:06 AM
GN,

You and I are on the exactly the same page philosophically. I grew up that your word is your bond and if you shake hands on a deal you had better stick to the deal. If there is a misunderstanding then we sit down and figure put a reasonable solution. I always viewed permission to hunt someone's property was a gift and a very generous gift, to me more valuable than money because it denoted they trusted you to respect them and their property.

Couldn't agree more, NCL.  Our society has most certainly moved from the philosophy of personal values and accountability to one of a "what's in it for me?" mind-set.  We have become a litigious society, for sure,...which is why I have adopted the philosophy I have outlined. 

Just presenting the image of "our agreement is between you and me,...not between me and your lawyer or insurance company" at least starts off the conversation with the precept of "if you are planning on jerking me around, you better think twice about it because I ain't playin' this game with your lawyer,...I'm playin' it with YOU"! 

....That may be harsh, but it gets the point across right off the bat.  Perhaps if more people would use that tact, we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. 

Quite honestly, I am not nearly as crazy as I sound regarding this (although some here might disagree  ;D ),...but just presenting that image weeds out a lot of the potential headaches from those that are looking for ways to "game the system". >:(