OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Little bit frustrated...  (Read 4215 times)

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Little bit frustrated...
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:35:59 AM »
Had trigger work done by an outfit that does work on Benellis and has a good reputation. Pretty much everyone trusts them.
Well, after the work, the gun intermittently failed to allow a round to be released from the magazine after firing a round. I thought a few times that I had it figured out. That I was doing something wrong and had fixed it.
After suffering with it for years, I finally sent it to Benelli. They found the hammer spring had been cut (shortened I suppose). They replaced it with the factory spring.
Now the firearm functions perfectly but the trigger is HEAVY/STIFF.
I sure miss the trigger the way it was but I don't miss the malfunction.
Like I say, frustrated...I paid for shipping both ways and the trigger work, then paid shipping and repair to have it undone...Ugh...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:26:36 AM by sixbird »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Little bit frustrated...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:53 AM »
I never worry about the triggers that much. With that big gobbler out in front of you , you want care how stiff the trigger may feel...  glad you got it fixed ...

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
Dang that's a tough one. Wonder if a wolf spring or something like that would help? Correct length but different tension?

Offline Mcduckin

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »
I have taran tactical springs in my benellis and they have worked great .

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »
Never thought of using different springs. It's a hammer spring so don't know if they make different tensions for them.
Something to explore though...Thanks gents!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
Looks like Taran has hammer spring and trigger spring that will solve my issue. As long as they fit the SBE II, I should be good. I have a question regarding that in to Taran.
Thanks McDuckin!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 01:34:06 PM »
I never worry about the triggers that much. With that big gobbler out in front of you , you want care how stiff the trigger may feel...  glad you got it fixed ...

Agree somewhat but I DO notice when I'm squeezing the trigger when I'm patterning, that it's a distraction to have a stiff trigger pull. Makes me lose concentration to an extent.
When I'm on a gobbler, I also squeeze the trigger and I'm conscious of the trigger if it's stiff. I know if I focus on the shot, everything will be just fine, but why have that distraction? Especially when the bird is up close and you're shooting what is almost a rifle.
From the vids. on Youtube, the installation is simple and straight forward. The cost is minimal.
I guess it comes down to, I have this fine shotgun that I've had work done on and I've done work on, both aesthetic and functional to make it even better and I have a stiff trigger, not much better than a low grade gun. Feels to me like a weak link.
I know I'm anal about this stuff but I figure if I take out all the variables in the equipment that I can, the only ones left will be me. I'm fallible enough, without adding equipment issues...   :bike2:

Offline Mcduckin

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »
They will work in the sbe 2 and m2 , as I have both . Easy installation and YouTube is your friend !

Online WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Sixbird

If you end up getting that spring that was suggested let us now how it works out for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 05:17:27 AM »
There are ways to make those triggers nice, but hammer tension is rarely one of them. The internals that touch, slide or pivot need to be polished carefully and then you can look at any other spring but not the hammer spring. Good luck!

I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 07:04:25 PM »
There are ways to make those triggers nice, but hammer tension is rarely one of them. The internals that touch, slide or pivot need to be polished carefully and then you can look at any other spring but not the hammer spring. Good luck!

Well, Benelli disagrees and the factory hammer spring was the only thing they changed. It had a nice trigger before, stiff after. The way I understand it, the trigger work by the original outfit included some stoning.
I'll post the results of the spring change in my next post.
Not trying to be rude but the spring change made a remarkable difference...

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 07:11:24 PM »
First of all, I'd like to thank McDuckin and Owlhoot for nudging me in this direction. If not for them, I may have just settled for what I had...
They suggested that maybe there was an aftermarket spring kit that would solve the problem.
Well, I started looking around and discovered that Taran Tactical had such a kit. It consisted of a trigger spring, a hammer spring and some retainer clips. There was also a vid. on YouTube from a guy called BullittMcQueen describing how to change both the springs. There were also reviews from people who had done it. All were positive.
The process looked pretty straight forward and easy. I thought, well, why not try it?
I ordered the springs, received them today and in about 15 mins. had a perfect cycling SBE II with a great trigger with a light pull (not dangerously light but light enough).
My installation wasn't quite as easy as the vid., but easy enough. The vid. makes the trigger function understandable and the change out easy.
I couldn't wait to check function so I took it right out and shot the lightest loads Benelli recommends. Everything functioned perfectly...
If you have a SBE II/M2 or similar, do yourself a favor and do this simple retrofit. You won't be disappointed!
The only drawback, one that I can live with but was an annoyance, was that Taran charges $10 shipping to send two small springs and a small pack of clips. The springs and clips were about $23 and with shipping, total was $34. $34 to get a good trigger is cheap but $10 shipping???!!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:28:56 AM by sixbird »

Offline Mcduckin

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »
Glad it worked out ! And I totally agree on the Shipping , I think a stamp would have been sufficient lol !

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 09:53:34 PM »

Well, Benelli disagrees and the factory hammer spring was the only thing they changed. It had a nice trigger before, stiff after. The way I understand it, the trigger work by the original outfit included some stoning.
I'll post the results of the spring change in my next post.
Not trying to be rude but the spring change made a remarkable difference...
Well, I hope Benelli can prove me wrong on their product! Rarely have I seen it make a significant difference. Thanks for your comment.

I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Glad it worked out ! And I totally agree on the Shipping , I think a stamp would have been sufficient lol !
X2 on that.