turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quiet mouth call practice.

Started by Danger DAve, June 28, 2019, 11:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Am I the only one who uses a two Reed mouth call to practice quietly when every body is asleep?  It keeps my tongue in shape.  I'm new to mouth calls and I think it helps.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Danger DAve on June 28, 2019, 11:35:55 PM
Am I the only one who uses a two Reed mouth call to practice quietly when every body is asleep?  It keeps my tongue in shape.  I'm new to mouth calls and I think it helps.

Practice does make perfect in mouth call use,...but good luck with practicing while everybody is asleep.  That sure hasn't ever worked around here!  Sleeping ears can pick out a turkey call no matter how quiet, and they tend to get a bit grumpy about it!  ;D

Spitten and drummen

If I practiced while my wife is sleeping then I would be in the dog house lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Most of the time , i just get my wife to practice for ME , and i sleep ....

Sir-diealot

I am very lucky that my land lady is hard of hearing and my GF keeps her bedroom door shut so I can practice on anything but box calls and I could practice with those in the house too if not for the landlords ankle biters.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Southerngobbler

I'm sure this isn't new to anyone but I keep several mouth call in my truck and practice all the time while driving down the road. One time on a turkey hunt I forgot my pack that had all my call in it when I got to my parking place. At first I was pissed and thought the morning might be wasted then I remembered the two diaphragm calls in my center console and everything was good again.

Bowguy

Quote from: Southerngobbler on June 29, 2019, 12:45:30 PM
I'm sure this isn't new to anyone but I keep several mouth call in my truck and practice all the time while driving down the road. One time on a turkey hunt I forgot my pack that had all my call in it when I got to my parking place. At first I was pissed and thought the morning might be wasted then I remembered the two diaphragm calls in my center console and everything was good again.

Lots of guys, myself included run mouth calls while driving to n from work. But leaving them in a truck, especially a warm/hot truck could lead to reefs sticking in best cases and certainly would lead to bacteria build up.
They should be removed, rinsed and put in freezer each night

bbcoach

IMO, I believe we don't practice our soft calling near enough.  We tend to practice those loud yelps and cuts but don't spend enough time with our purrs and soft clucks.  Most of us use other calls for the long distance calling and will pop in a diaphragm for finishing that gobbler.  I agree with Dave, practice those soft calls more, besides most hens aren't as loud vocally as we give them credit for.  If you can keep from waking the wife with your soft calling, then you maybe on to something.