turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage 301 Turkey

Started by Greg Massey, June 26, 2019, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Saw one today 20 gauge , just like the 410 with screw in choke , bottomland camo.. 219.00 was the asking price ... has anyone tried one in the 20 gauge ?

Dazzler

No, but I've been eyeballing the same gun.  I'm torn between this and a 20gauge barrel for my encore.  the barrel is almost double the 301.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/stev-19618-301-turkey-26-mobl-xfchoke/

Rem Man

I have the 410 and just bought the 20.  I can tell you for the money they are fantastic!! The 20 gauge with the stock choke and tss 9 at 40 yards did 293 with an absolute perfect pattern. I think you will love the gun. The recoil isn't  bad at all and the gun functions great.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Rem Man on June 26, 2019, 05:25:41 PM
  I have the 410 and just bought the 20.  I can tell you for the money they are fantastic!! The 20 gauge with the stock choke and tss 9 at 40 yards did 293 with an absolute perfect pattern. I think you will love the gun. The recoil isn't  bad at all and the gun functions great.
If you don't mine me asking about what did you pay for your ?   I handled the gun and i have to agree it was nice and tight and fell good in the hands ....

Leadchunker

Whitakers has them for $170

Rem Man

I paid $165, my buddy owns the shop though.

Greg Massey

Thanks .. from paying shipping and handling fee for my gun store .. it's going to be close to what he's asking .. probably within 20 dollars ....

Recurve

Greg I got the 301 compact. This gun is offered with 22" barrel &  choke tube. I installed a .568 Carlson's choke had a friend drill & tap the barrel for  the Bushnell  TRS-25 Red Dot. Patterns the Fed. TSS #9  very well at 40+ yd. Turkey killer. Will shoot as well as my compact 870 & 500 Moss. I got mine at Bud's Guns

Old Timer

A guy certainly wouldnt go broke trying one of these. Can they actually make money selling them for that price? :fud: Hows the weight?

Recurve

On the 301 compact the weight 5.3 Lb. Buds Guns $156. Money well spent !

Dazzler

Quote from: Recurve on July 06, 2019, 11:29:35 AM
On the 301 compact the weight 5.3 Lb. Buds Guns $156. Money well spent !
.410 or 20?

Also how does the compact compare to the standard size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recurve

The LOP is shorter than standard size. I am 5'10  the stock was a little short for me as well. I got a limb saver slipped over the stock and  that solved the problem. This gun will be used for turkey hunting not like I will be doing a lot of shooting at one time. And to my surprise the recoil with Fed. TSS #9 is not bad at all for this 73 yr old man. The only drawback with the compact you will need to drill & tap the receiver if you desire an optic. This is a 20ga

Greg Massey

Quote from: Recurve on July 06, 2019, 05:10:38 PM
The LOP is shorter than standard size. I am 5'10  the stock was a little short for me as well. I got a limb saver slipped over the stock and  that solved the problem. This gun will be used for turkey hunting not like I will be doing a lot of shooting at one time. And to my surprise the recoil with Fed. TSS #9 is not bad at all for this 73 yr old man. The only drawback with the compact you will need to drill & tap the receiver if you desire an optic. This is a 20ga
The new 301 - 20 gauge is already drilled and has rail... its just like the new 301 - 410 .. both have factory screw in chokes .. they come in bottomland or obsession

Recurve

The reason I went with the 301 compact it was offered with 22" barrel appose to the 301 Turkey that comes with 26" barrel. I just like the shorter barrels. I am sure the 301 turkey shoots a very good pattern.

Turkeyfever

I recently ordered and got the 301 turkey in the 20 gauge. The pattern is really good with the factory choke and Federal TSS #9!  I also like the shorter barrels , however the overall length of the gun is so short that it doesn't bother me at all ,the gun feels great! It's really doesn't seem any different than the guns I have with the 22 inch barrel. SA 20 turkey thug and Mossberg 500. I am very pleased with the purchase and my 11 year old likes it also. It is a shooter!