OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Field grade hunting trumpet  (Read 7079 times)

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Field grade hunting trumpet
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »
Billy McCallister from Georgia makes a mighty fine trumpet too
X3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline willy9889

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
 Would definitely recommend a Permar classic over a model 45. Find it tough to KeeKee
properly with the 45 and here in Ontario those Kee Kees are magic.
 Have never encountered another hunter here using a trumpet.
 The  Classic is perfect for that and also can be fairly raspy for
a higher pitched call.

Willy

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 11:57:09 PM »
Buice or Permar is a good choice.  I would double check with Mr. Billy about Osage.  Go with a number 4 if you go with Buice and get one mouthpiece.  Good luck.
I understand what you mean by number 4, but when you say
"get one mouthpiece", does that mean it's a mouthpiece that can't be interchanged?

I do not always word well, if you decide to only get one mouthpiece and not multiple to interchange go with the #4 if you are pretty novice with a trumpet.  Mr. Billy's trumpets do offer interchangeable mouthpieces with a screw in or push in design.  You have the option to get multiple interchangeable mouthpieces and can get the varying numbers, the same numbered mouthpiece in different materials, delrin, micarta, corian, etc, or mix and match.  You can have multiple options with mouthpieces with one trumpet barrel.  Hope that is a bit more clear.
              That makes perfect sense. I really appreciate all your guys
suggestions. I'm gonna call Mr. Billy tomorrow.
                                  Thanks again,
                                                         Jim

Offline AT

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 12:47:16 AM »
I have both and would definitely recommend the Buice.  Tje Permar 45 is a great call but more medium pitched.  Billy's are more versatile.  Get the screw in though.
Is there any difference other than obvious between the screw in and push in?

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 05:01:37 AM »
 :funnyturkey:
I have both and would definitely recommend the Buice.  Tje Permar 45 is a great call but more medium pitched.  Billy's are more versatile.  Get the screw in though.
I don’t have push in mouth pieces but the guys that do usually have them tied off on a separate lanyard so they don’t fall out and lose them. I don’t do that with stew in. I am not sure if there is any other difference between the two. I would think sound would be the same but Mr. Billy uses the push in mostly from what I have gathered from him.

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »
I also have a 45 from Ralph that is a awesome call and glad I have it!  Ernie Fetters of Shade Mountain also makes great trumpets and yelpers.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 07:09:34 AM »

There is no major difference.  I have both push in and screw in.  I have never lost a mouthpiece with either but did drop a push in one time and back tracked for it.  I have learned that if you push it in and give a little turn it locks in a bit better.  As Chris stated, I do have a drop on my lanyard to hold the mouthpiece and when I get Del to make me on for that trumpet I will add a couple drops so I can just keep the mouthpieces hanging ready for that trumpet.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
There is no difference in sound between push in and screw in Billy likes the push because you can change them faster. You should never lose one if you push in and twist as stated.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 01:41:24 PM »
Seeing as how you're starting out you won't know the difference. Buy what suits your fancy and enjoy the journey.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »
Both are solid and draw easy. Im liking my permar all delrin right now. It will be around my neck come spring. I have 4 Buice trumpets and absolutely love them also.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 01:47:55 PM »
I've owned both Buice and Permar trumpets, and both are top quality. Buice for interchangeable mouthpieces is the only plus.

But to throw a curve ball for additional consideration...for a straight up "field grade" hunting yelper its hard to beat either Mark Sharpe, or Tony Ezolt, river cane or wing bone. Over the years, my EZ wing bone and my Sharpe river cane have seen more woods time than all the big name trumpet makers I've owned, Hegler included, combined.

:z-twocents:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »
I've owned both Buice and Permar trumpets, and both are top quality. Buice for interchangeable mouthpieces is the only plus.

But to throw a curve ball for additional consideration...for a straight up "field grade" hunting yelper its hard to beat either Mark Sharpe, or Tony Ezolt, river cane or wing bone. Over the years, my EZ wing bone and my Sharpe river cane have seen more woods time than all the big name trumpet makers I've owned, Hegler included, combined.

:z-twocents:
X2 I have a EZ wingbone an both Sharpe calls. These guys are some of the easiest playing calls an look good too!

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »
X2 I have a EZ wingbone an both Sharpe calls. These guys are some of the easiest playing calls an look good too!

:agreed: Both are easy to run, killer calls, and precisely tuned.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 05:39:26 PM »

:agreed: Both are easy to run, killer calls, and precisely tuned.

Offline greentag

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »
I don’t have any of Ralph’s calls but I do have 4 buice’s that I love,I have a pink ivory one that just has something special about it even compared to my other buice calls and other buice calls I have played around with....as of lately I have really fell in love with playing wingbones and am on tony and marks list for a couple of theirs,I can’t wait to get those,I would say to pick one and practice all you can until you get good with one call,once that happens you should be able to play any of them,but there will def be ones that you like best and always seem to grab for first..