OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Just WOW !!!!!!!!  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Just WOW !!!!!!!!
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »
Lately, I'm thinking my penchant for box call accumulating may be me going in the wrong direction.  I'm hoping that recent eBay activity is a bubble and not a trend...………..otherwise I need to find pants with deeper pockets.

Don't know that I've ever seen a Tom Laska field grade go for more than $275 or so and THAT was, I thought, a strong number.  Well...………………. holy crap !!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Laska-Lonefeather-Walnut-Field-Grade-Turkey-Box-Call-/133086680599?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Just WOW !!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
Collectable calls are definitely hot right now!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »
I was following that call as I'm partial to all walnut calls. Went way out of my budget.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Lots on this forum has helped with the false inflation of many calls. Greed is turning calls unaffordable for many hunters.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
Lots on this forum has helped with the false inflation of many calls. Greed is turning calls unaffordable for many hunters.

Do you really think this site and it's folks are contributors to it ??

I've bought OODLES of calls from OG members and some pretty high-end stuff........   I have paid very fair prices.   Assuredly less than what is have paid on eBay.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

I've bought OODLES of calls from OG members and some pretty high-end stuff........   I have paid very fair prices.   Assuredly less than what is have paid on eBay.

Lots is probably an unfair term as it is minority rather than a majority. Poor choice of words, but I stand by the statement they have had an effect of false inflation of some calls. A man’s money is his money but when someone asks $150 over on a call that is somewhat easily obtained with a few month wait others notice it when it is bought and feel they should price their call in the same range. If anyone should be profiting greatly off the call it should be the call maker. I have nothing against a guy adding to the price to make up for the call appreciating or to allow someone to grab a call without a wait, I have done it myself but made sure to research to make sure it was a fair asking price, but some of the prices seen are more price gouging than anything. That is my opinion and take it at what you paid for it.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Jrkimbrough

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:10:38 AM »
Wow!  that's nuts!

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:39:50 AM »

Lots is probably an unfair term as it is minority rather than a majority. Poor choice of words, but I stand by the statement they have had an effect of false inflation of some calls. A man’s money is his money but when someone asks $150 over on a call that is somewhat easily obtained with a few month wait others notice it when it is bought and feel they should price their call in the same range. If anyone should be profiting greatly off the call it should be the call maker. I have nothing against a guy adding to the price to make up for the call appreciating or to allow someone to grab a call without a wait, I have done it myself but made sure to research to make sure it was a fair asking price, but some of the prices seen are more price gouging than anything. That is my opinion and take it at what you paid for it.

I understand where you're coming from.   But, to be fair to the OG community, I see less of that HERE than in any other turkey call marketplace.  And, honestly, I think most of the problem is self-inflicted.    This Laska call is s a prime example.   The seller's starting bid was already a strong number for the call.   But, with no one holding a gun to anyone's head, the bidders took it out of the ballpark, across the river and DEEP into lala land.

Same thing happened.on a Watkins fiddle paddle LAST week.   Sold for nearly TWICE what a guy can call Marlin for and wait 6 months or so.   I guess (I know) there are folks........... LOTS of folks...........who could write a check for what I make in a year and they'd never miss it.    Folks like that can PAY to not have to be patient.   Apparently/obviously some.of them are.into turkey calls.   I don't quite understand that way of living.    But I can't begrudge it, either.   We're I in their shoes, I might be doing the same thing.
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

I understand where you're coming from.   But, to be fair to the OG community, I see less of that HERE than in any other turkey call marketplace.  And, honestly, I think most of the problem is self-inflicted.    This Laska call is s a prime example.   The seller's starting bid was already a strong number for the call.   But, with no one holding a gun to anyone's head, the bidders took it out of the ballpark, across the river and DEEP into lala land.

Same thing happened.on a Watkins fiddle paddle LAST week.   Sold for nearly TWICE what a guy can call Marlin for and wait 6 months or so.   I guess (I know) there are folks........... LOTS of folks...........who could write a check for what I make in a year and they'd never miss it.    Folks like that can PAY to not have to be patient.   Apparently/obviously some.of them are.into turkey calls.   I don't quite understandt that way of living.    But I can't begrudge it, either.   We're I in their shoes, I might be doing the same thing.

If your talking about the fiddle paddle that went for like $397 you can not get that call from Marlin. That call was made in 2007 and he doesnt make them anything like that anymore. I agree on the other calls espically the Laska but on that particular call that really wasnt out there on price. If your talking about a different one I must not of seen it..

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
The $397 call IS the one I was referring to.   My bad for only watching the auction and not realizing it was an early call.

Thanks for the clarification.  ????
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
Seems like a few months back there was a laska on here for like 125 or something wish I would have bought it now. Lol

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Seems like a few months back there was a laska on here for like 125 or something wish I would have bought it now. Lol

Yeah.   At $125 a Laska SHOULDN'T last long.    At $631 someone needs their head examined.    ????
PA elitist since 1979

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
It's the same thing with musky lures on eBay,,just like turkey calls there are guys who make custom musky lures with incredible paint jobs and actions,,you can easily order one but put one on eBay and it goes for more.
I think a lot of the ebay mentality is about "winning" I just want to end up on top.

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
It's the same thing with musky lures on eBay,,just like turkey calls there are guys who make custom musky lures with incredible paint jobs and actions,,you can easily order one but put one on eBay and it goes for more.
I think a lot of the ebay mentality is about "winning" I just want to end up on top.

I agree with this but even to the point were your paying 3 to 4 times what something is worth. I'd feel more like an idiot then a winner..

Offline ferocious calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
To some collectors money is no object when they want something. That said my fugal buying habits keep me from these types of acquisitions. Like to trade whenever possible. Have traded with some great call makers. Worked out a trade with one of our premier call makers while he was on the phone with one of our premier turkey hunters between our hunts this spring.