OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hen Wing Bone  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
Hen Wing Bone
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
Just wondering if anybody might have a hen wing bone to be made into a screw in mouthpiece by Mr. Buice. I ordered a trumpet from him this morning and asked for a hen wingbone mouthpiece. He didn’t have any bones available. I told him I could get him one this fall. After I hung up I thought it was a stupid idea to shoot a hen just for a bone. Our population is way down already.

I thought there maybe somebody out there who had some laying around for future or forgotten projects. Just hate to shoot a hen with an already struggling population. Thanks.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Re: Hen Wing Bone
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
Roadkill seems to be a better alternative.  And no season for highway hens.  Keep your eyes peeled.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Hate to think of that. I was sitting in the front seat of a pickup a few years ago when my cousin hit a hen at 70mph. Thought she was gonna end up in my lap. Not sure her bones would have been serviceable.

CMBOSTC

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »
Not sure if this lady has what you need but she might have one laying around.

https://thewildgamechanger.auctivacommerce.com/Default.aspx

Kimberly Clark

Telephone: (573) 676-3668

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
I've picked up roadkill, it usually has 1 good side not busted up.

a young Jake wingbone draws air nice.
hen bones from some states have the same internal sizes as 1 year old Jake bones from other states

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »
I used one from a Canadian Goose to make a mouthpiece for a Watkins yelper that turned out fine.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Why not a store bought turkey. Everyone's gotta eat dinner. Plenty of leftovers and you can pick the size you want.

Offline Rzrbac

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 07:59:33 PM »
Why not a store bought turkey. Everyone's gotta eat dinner. Plenty of leftovers and you can pick the size you want.

Not a bad idea, guess I would need to cut a wing off before I drop it in the peanut oil ;D

I wonder if the bone size is about the same as a wild turkey?

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
I have a group of friends that bring me road kill hens, even the local game warden brought me on once. Some years I may get a couple of sets, some years none. I live in Georgia and hens are not legal to shoot any time. We do not have a fall season. Most times as was said, only one side will not be broken most of the time. A very close second to hen bones for a mouth piece, are the same bone from either a snow goose or speckle belly goose. Several years ago a guy  that guides sent me a garbage bag half full of wings, I stripped them out and made a couple of Jordan cane yelpers  and sent them to him. They work just as good, they are just not a turkey though. Pm me and I can send you one if that suits you. I only got one road kill hen this years and her bones are ready for calling next season. I can not remember if it was snow goose or speckle belly, it was one of the two.

Online EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 08:19:53 AM »

Domestic turkey bones will be way too big and way to soft.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 03:38:02 AM »
Road kills are about a southerners only choice , until a Bearded Osceola hen steps in front of you ! I have a snow goose Lamar Williams built and I can't tell it from a real Georgia Eastern hen I also have from him . But how many snows or specklebellies do we get here ? You just have to travel to Arkansas of know someone who does .

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Hen Wing Bone
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »
Just wondering if anybody might have a hen wing bone to be made into a screw in mouthpiece by Mr. Buice. I ordered a trumpet from him this morning and asked for a hen wingbone mouthpiece. He didn’t have any bones available. I told him I could get him one this fall. After I hung up I thought it was a stupid idea to shoot a hen just for a bone. Our population is way down already.

I thought there maybe somebody out there who had some laying around for future or forgotten projects. Just hate to shoot a hen with an already struggling population. Thanks.
If you find someone you can get them from let me know. I had the same conversation with mr buice a week or so ago. I don’t think domestic turkey bones will do? Think they are softer or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:22:20 PM by wchadw »