OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall hunting in MD  (Read 18612 times)

Offline 1ST DRAW

Fall hunting in MD
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Hi all. First post since joining. I have been lurking the past couple months and should thank everyone for their wisdom and advice on calls, gear, tactics, and all. I have read more hard core turkey hunting on this site since joining than anywhere else, ever.
Got the fever bad and can't wait for the fall season. Looking for top secret intel on public land in MD. Spent the spring at Monocacy WMA and got run over a few times by other hunters. Was reminded yet again that not all hunters on public land show the same respect for one another (opening day was a comedy) so I am starting now to look for some other places for the fall and next spring. The Frederick area is about an hour from me and I am going to walk out Cunningham Falls State Park tomorrow to get the lay of the land in person. Anyone else have experience in this area they would be willing to share that may save a few steps covering unproductive or "not worth hunting" ground? I see Gathland, Black Rock and Lambs Knoll (South Mountain), and Frederick City Watershed CWMA that I might go scout also.
Thanks.
I was able to bag a two year old at the end of April in Loudoun County, VA so the season was not a bust. Trying to create more options for the seasons to come.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Fall hunting in MD
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
You'll find less clowns in the woods during Fall. Fall is real turkey hunting. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Fall hunting in MD
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
Head west lots of public ground in green ridge, Savage, even warrior, they all get busy early in the season in spring but I doubt you'll see many in the fall hunting for turkey.

I know deer hunting I saw several flocks of birds in the fall, even had a bird doing some gobbling on a nice October morning in one of those locations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>