turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel Shortening Questions.

Started by kytrkyhntr, June 19, 2019, 08:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

So I have a benelli 20 gauge. It has a 28" barrel on it. When I got the gun my dad told me again and again I'd want a shorter barrel but I know everything, right? Wrong. So to get back on subject I have already had this barrel dipped and the forcing cone lengthened so I'd really rather not buy a new barrel. Does anyone know a place that does it? Or had it done before? I'd love to take it down to 24 inches.

I've emailed Rob Roberts and Sumtoy. Waiting on my response now. Just thought I'd ask ! Any info helps.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Dtrkyman

Sumtoy gets great feed back around here.

Boykin Hollow

Call william at sumtoy and while he has it get him to choke it also.  You will be happy with the outcome

Southerngobbler

I would consider making it even shorter while your at it- 24" is't all that short

kytrkyhntr

Well I love my Indian creek choke and would like to use my other chokes and unfortunately I can not find anyone to shorten my barrel and put the crio threads back... hate to buy a new barrel but I got time. Like the 28" for doves. May just have to buy another gun ha ha

Marc

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on June 20, 2019, 02:00:04 PM
Well I love my Indian creek choke and would like to use my other chokes and unfortunately I can not find anyone to shorten my barrel and put the crio threads back... hate to buy a new barrel but I got time. Like the 28" for doves. May just have to buy another gun ha ha
Having seen posts from other shotgunning sites, it seems I have heard of more issues than happy customers...  Patterning issues, choke issues, louder, etc...

I would think anyone that is going to shorten your barrels will want to thread it with their own choking system (i.e. Briley).

I would say your best bet is to purchase another gun of the same type, which gives you a spare gun, and two different barrel lengths for different activities...   No doubt but that the longer barrel is a better choice for most wing-shooting activities.

I would NOT worry about lengthening the forcing cones unless you are having patterning issues.  I know as many or more people that had worsening patterns after lengthening the cones...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

If you don't mind my asking what does "forcing cone lengthened" mean and what are the reasons for doing it and the benifits? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 20, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
If you don't mind my asking what does "forcing cone lengthened" mean and what are the reasons for doing it and the benifits? Thanks.
People do it for the hopes of improving pattern ... So it can help with some guns with patterning ... I guess you could say more uniform shot within 10 inch circle , with no holes in the pattern...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 20, 2019, 06:17:52 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 20, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
People do it for the hopes of improving pattern ... So it can help with some guns with patterning ... I guess you could say more uniform shot within 10 inch circle , with no holes in the pattern...
Thanks
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Southerngobbler

Also you have to look pretty far and wide to find a gunsmith willing to perform the procedure. Most people paying for that are trying to make their gun into the best gun it can be. Usually hoping they can shoot farther.  With more folks using TSS  your unlikely to  need the procedure. It was used more in the old days when ammo limited peoples max range-not so much now. At least that's for turkey hunters- I'm not sure if wing shooters benefit from it or not.

kytrkyhntr

Correct^^ when I did it to my gun it was 75 bucks and I was shooting hevi 13 I've since switched to TSS

Southerngobbler

It would be interesting to know if it cleaned up your pattern any.

zelmo1

I have used Briley's for many jobs and have always been happy with their work. As mentioned above, they will thread it with their pattern but will build any choke that is within the safe working spectrum. They did a barrel for me on an old SKB7300 20 ga and the choke is fabulous. I have to fight to use it with my wife and daughter. I came in 3rd  :OGturkeyhead:

kytrkyhntr

I'll look into them ^ thanks for the input!

James gang

I have a 21in remington barrel that was cut down and rechoked and another two that are factory the factory barrels outshoot my cut off barrel extremely not sure why but there is no comparison