OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wingbone thread wrapping finish  (Read 1883 times)

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
Wingbone thread wrapping finish
« on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
I have been trying to wrap a few wingbone joints with rod wrapping thread. First let me say that I have a new appreciation for those guys that do such a fine job on wrapping and finishing that looks like it was painted on and not wrapped thread. My question is what type of finish do you guys use on your thread wrappings. Is it a wrap thread finish such as Flex Coat thread wrapping epoxy or do you use just a regular two part epoxy? Thank you in advance. Larry

Offline hush

Re: Wingbone thread wrapping finish
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
When I wrap joints, I use an artificial sinew, followed with a coat or two of quick setting epoxy.  It would work well with any wrap. In to hear what the experts recommend.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 06:21:39 AM »
I think nearly everything has been tried. Flexcoat, epoxy, many coats of clear lacquer, liquid glass etc.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Following.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies, waiting on more of these wingbone men men to give me advice.

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
I used some Pro Kote from Mudhole on my thread wrapping and it works really well. Down side of it is that it is not cheap, takes about 24 hours to completely set and you need a turner for the first 4-6 hours so it will not sag as it sets. I fashioned a turner out of a grill rotisserie and it works good. I made a base for it out of scrap wood. I think most two part epoxies would work, they just might not dry completely clear, but would be much cheaper and more convenient to get. Hope this helps those with the same question I had. I am sure there are  better, easier, cheaper ways, but I have not discovered them yet. Thanks, Larry