OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Recommend me a book  (Read 5960 times)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Recommend me a book
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
I bought Turkey hunting, a one man game off a recommendation of this tread and can't seem to put the book down, it's easily worth the 20 bucks. Its got a southern theme that I enjoy.

I finished mine in 3 days..Ordered the old pro turkey hunter...Since this thread I’ve found a few others that I would like to get ahold of at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats how i started and now its another collection I have. I think I'm somewhere around 200 books turkey related.

Offline Ranger

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »
And if Southern and Spiritual is your thing, East of the Slash needs to be your next book.  I want to try Bobby Coles books next, hear they're good.  Best Southern Lit I could recommend:  Harry Crews A CHILDHOOD BIOGRAPHY OF A PLACE.   Cormac McCarthy BLOOD MERIDIAN
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
Tag

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »
Not turkey related, but if you like historical mountain men type stories, get Crow Killer: The saga of Liver Eating Johnson.

Its the true story that the movie Jeremiah Johnson is based off.

I've read it several times and it's an incredible tale

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
So I have just about finished the old pro...Wow what a book!

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 05:50:37 PM »
Great books here alrready ..

I will add-

Charles Elliott " Hunting with the old Professor"

Dr. Bobby Dale - " Turkey Roost Tales" or more special his first book " Double Gobble"

Earl Groves- " Talking tomfoolery"

Dr Lovett Williams - anything he wrote  is excellent.

Doug Camp - " Turkey hunting Spring and Fall"

Jim Casada - Remembering the Greats

Royal Slam 2008

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
Fantastic book .. was privileged to meet him at UGA. Incredibly underrated author.  I guarantee you " Ivorybills" will make you stop and think about your relationship to the world, God and many other things.

Highly recommended.

Find Deep enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo. It’s a fine read. Not about turkey hunting specifically, just hunting tradition in the south.

Royal Slam 2008

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2019, 06:41:05 PM »
 Ridge Reaper I enjoyed your post and hope you are 100% soon. Gene's was the first book I ever read on turkeys. Sadly a stopped up basement drain allowed a couple of inches of water to back up and ruined several books I had in boxes. I need another copy...

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »
Fantastic book .. was privileged to meet him at UGA. Incredibly underrated author.  I guarantee you " Ivorybills" will make you stop and think about your relationship to the world, God and many other things.

Highly recommended.

Find Deep enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo. It’s a fine read. Not about turkey hunting specifically, just hunting tradition in the south.

got it ordered...looking forward to reading it

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2019, 11:49:07 AM »

Highly recommended.

got it ordered...looking forward to reading it
Same here, based on these recommendations, and it is next up on my list.  Also ordered Stephen Bodio's first novel, Tiger Country: A Novel of the Wild Southwest.