OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Dedicated Turkey Gun  (Read 7092 times)

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Dedicated Turkey Gun
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »
Take a look @ Retay https://retayusa.com/en

For an inertia gun for the price quality and features including no Benelli click can’t beat em I have two Benellis and if I buy another inertia gun it will be a retay 20 when that model is introduced

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
Idk if people didn’t read your list. You stated overbored barrel only Mossberg to my knowledge has this

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 12:53:12 PM »
As far as plastic parts, Benelli has em, Browning has em. The Winchester is made in turkey with lots of other guns. Few buddies bought them w nothing but probs initially. Remingtons aren’t what they were, they’ve fallen way back quality wise.
Here’s an idea. You’re gonna compromise somewhere. It could be on the semi aspect of this. W turkeys your whole life you’ll get limited second shots if any. A browning BPS would prob be the gun I’d go for or look to the used market. If you want value an 835 is as good as it gets. Speaking of a gun being too stout, it’s only my opinion but that’s just the new softer generation talking.  If you patterned w a lead sled, which is relatively cheap, you’d only shoot a few times a year uncradled and adrenalined up, you’d never feel anything. Certainly nothing to worry over. Look to at an older Remington, Winchester, you could stay semi and get an M1 Benelli. Good luck whatever you decide.
You also need to look to fit. Years ago a friend was looking at a beretta. The lop was too long. Other considerations might be if you’re right eye dominant or left eyed. Safety type than comes into play.
Seems as most guys a preconceived notion as to how you want it to look might be outweighing things that may matter more to you in the long run.
Good luck to you in your search

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
I think folks read your list just fine...just tough to match up with every factor in a factory model...

I had my choice of up to $2000 semi-auto turkey guns recently...

The new Maxus WW won me over easily...

A400 Plus was close though...

Maxus WW is over-bored & has the cone factory lengthened...

Not sure how easy it us to drill & tap a Maxus though...I went with open sights...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline St. Augustine Strutter

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 09:07:07 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback gentlemen. I definitely have some thinking to do. The good news is that I have plenty of time to do it.

Any rumors on new 2020 guns yet? Are those typically released around the new year during SHOT show?

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 01:40:19 AM »

I have actually peeked at their website before but couldn’t find much information or reviews on the gun. Do you have any experience with them?  Their turkey model is right in my wheelhouse. Just hesitant to commit to such a new player in the industry

Lol...yea, the website leaves ALOT to be desired!!! I.had to do a search just typing in retay shotguns or retay or something else along that line and I was able to see a bit more information than goin to their main site. Far as experience goes, I've only held them @ my local store which is Whittaker guns 270-229-0140 ,and I might add they are THE CHEAPEST place I've found these shotguns. Ex: 3.5" with 24",26,28" ,or 30" bbl. in camo was $839 plus tax. For the black 3.5" same choice of bbl
 length was $729 plus tax. Around your neck of the woods they may be as cheap or cheaper but this is the lowest I've found thus far. The ONLY downside I see to them is that they take their own style of choke called "Mara pro" and Trulock is the only choke maker I've come across that makes aftermarket choke tubes for them. I can tell you this without hesitation, if I didn't already have a SBE 2 I would most assuredly have one of these. Good luck!!!

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »

I have actually peeked at their website before but couldn’t find much information or reviews on the gun. Do you have any experience with them?  Their turkey model is right in my wheelhouse. Just hesitant to commit to such a new player in the industry

Lol...yea, the website leaves ALOT to be desired!!! I.had to do a search just typing in retay shotguns or retay or something else along that line and I was able to see a bit more information than goin to their main site. Far as experience goes, I've only held them @ my local store which is Whittaker guns 270-229-0140 ,and I might add they are THE CHEAPEST place I've found these shotguns. Ex: 3.5" with 24",26,28" ,or 30" bbl. in camo was $839 plus tax. For the black 3.5" same choice of bbl
 length was $729 plus tax. Around your neck of the woods they may be as cheap or cheaper but this is the lowest I've found thus far. The ONLY downside I see to them is that they take their own style of choke called "Mara pro" and Trulock is the only choke maker I've come across that makes aftermarket choke tubes for them. I can tell you this without hesitation, if I didn't already have a SBE 2 I would most assuredly have one of these. Good luck!!!

i am hoping they introduce a 20 gauge next year.  I agree if I didn't have an M2 I would buy one right now, looked at a couple in local gunshops there a really nice gun.  I bet Indian Creek and others will be making chokes soon.

Offline St. Augustine Strutter

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »

That is great information. Thank you very much. After looking at that turkey XT model, it seems to be right in line with what I am looking for.

Would you guys have any concerns regarding replacement parts or warranty issues with such a new company?  Just don’t want to run into any problems and not be able to get the support needed to correct the issue.

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
I think folks read your list just fine...just tough to match up with every factor in a factory model...

I had my choice of up to $2000 semi-auto turkey guns recently...

The new Maxus WW won me over easily...

A400 Plus was close though...

Maxus WW is over-bored & has the cone factory lengthened...

Not sure how easy it us to drill & tap a Maxus though...I went with open sights...

I also ended up with the Maxus in 26”.

A friend has the Versamax Turkey and it’s really nice. Fits your criteria pretty well.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
Beretta A300 outlander turkey with 24 inch barrel. Doesn’t meet all your requirements but it’s a great gun at a $800 ball park price.

I bought one last year and love it.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »
I bought the 935 Mossy and have no complaints, When you were detailing specifically what you wanted you described my gun right down to the bottom land camo and old school stock. The only discrepancy is the factory (Tru Glo) sights don't have enough adjustment to get you where you need to be-so you do have to buy a new sight and maybe a new choke but that's probably typical for any new gun. Some wont like it as its not a high end gun but it has worked as advertised for me.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 09:20:09 PM »
As far as the 2020 new guns, check magazines and sometimes test are on the web for the new guns that are going to be coming out. 2nd week of January more and more stuff will be rolling out. Unfortunately the new guns that are at shot shown will rarely be out before Turkey season.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »

That is great information. Thank you very much. After looking at that turkey XT model, it seems to be right in line with what I am looking for.

Would you guys have any concerns regarding replacement parts or warranty issues with such a new company?  Just don’t want to run into any problems and not be able to get the support needed to correct the issue.

You're quite welcome! That's what we are here for is to help one another. Far as warranty goes, it's my understanding that Briley is doing the warranty work.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:48 PM »
Just wait until you have 6 turkey guns 

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »
Or 12 Turkey guns. Both a blessing and a curse!!! Deciding on which gets left behind!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.