OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dedicated Turkey Gun

Started by St. Augustine Strutter, June 12, 2019, 02:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St. Augustine Strutter

I've got a dilemma boys.  I am in the market for a new, semi-auto, dedicated turkey gun.  As I get deeper into the search for exactly what I am looking for, I started to realize that there aren't quite as many options as I originally thought there would be.  Preferences are as follows:

• Must be semi-auto
• Must be camo, preferably Mossy Oak Bottomland
• 24" barrel or less, preferably 22"
• Drilled and tapped, preferably already includes a rail for optics
• 3.5" chamber but would settle for 3"
• Overbored barrel compatible with TSS
• Normal stock, not pistol grip/tactical stock
• Cost not an issue but I am looking for good value

The viable options that I have come up with and my initial thoughts are as follows.  Keep in mind that this is all from reading on the internet and we all know that there is an abundance of BS on the internet.  That is why I am coming to the experts (you guys) who may have experience with these guns:

• Winchester SX4 Cantilever turkey edition – Nice guns, can install optics on cantilever arm.  Does not have a rib but that doesn't really matter to me.  Randy Wakeman wrote a scathing review of the SX4 but I think he was being nit-picky, especially considering that he liked the SX3.  He did say that the triggers are horrible however. 

• Mossberg 935 Magnum Turkey edition – Seems to be a good value and provides very good patterns.  Seeing complaints of bad cheek slaps and that they kick like a mule.  Also see people complaining that they are cheaply made guns with some plastic components and can be unreliable.  No optics rail but does come drilled and tapped.

• Beretta A350 Turkey edition – I love my Berettas and would love to have one dedicated for turkeys.  However, this are an older version with limited availability it seems. I am not sure I like the extended choke coming out of the 24" barrel and I am not sure if they are overbored.  Comes with an optics rail. 

What are your preferences?  Any good or bad stories that you can share?  Any current of past experiences with these guns?  Are they reliable turkey killers?  Any others you would recommend. I don't see any Benelli guns with 24" or less barrels.

Also, has anybody heard on any new 2020 turkey guns coming out?  When are those typically released to the public for purchase?

Ozarks Hillbilly

This might be a option for you not brand new or Bottomland but that could be fixed easy enough.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812302170

land cruiser

Just go with Benelli, it has everything you need

Take a look at a Remington v3 turkey edition.Has everthing your looking for.

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: 29810434 on June 12, 2019, 05:46:55 PM
Take a look at a Remington v3 turkey edition.Has everthing your looking for.

That has been suggested to me recently. Has Remington fully bounced back from their struggles a few years back?  They were putting out some bad work for a while there.

The v3 has gotten very good reviews,I have seen several members that have bought this gun.

zelmo1

Double B

It would be a Beretta no contest for me.   I tend to agree with your hesitancy towards Remington. 
Followed by buzzards

CrustyRusty

The Versamax and the V3 are nice shotguns and would fit your standards well.  I bought the V3 TurkeyPro, and like it so much that it will be my dedicated turkey/predator shotgun.  My SBE 2 was my dedicated gun but I just gave it to my son in law.

The bugs have been ironed out of both of those shotguns for the most part and they are well respected on shotgunworld, especially the V3.   They are both drilled for scopes and the V3 has a stock spacer set for adjusting LOP and have shorter barrels that you are wanting.  And a lifetime warranty.  Good luck

wchadw

i bought a Super black eagle 3 last year as a dedicated turkey gun.  they have a model in bottomland that has a pistol grip but i think you can get  it with regular stock as well.  it will  fit the rest of your criteria

Turkeytider

Quote from: CrustyRusty on June 12, 2019, 08:49:21 PM
The Versamax and the V3 are nice shotguns and would fit your standards well.  I bought the V3 TurkeyPro, and like it so much that it will be my dedicated turkey/predator shotgun.  My SBE 2 was my dedicated gun but I just gave it to my son in law.

The bugs have been ironed out of both of those shotguns for the most part and they are well respected on shotgunworld, especially the V3.   They are both drilled for scopes and the V3 has a stock spacer set for adjusting LOP and have shorter barrels that you are wanting.  And a lifetime warranty.  Good luck

The Turkey Pro and the standard V3 Field Sport share the same mechanicals and gas system ( Versaport). I have a walnut V3 and it is an excellent gun, particularly at it's price point. Remington has made a commitment to customer service. Their guns have a lifetime warranty to boot.

BINK McCARTY

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on June 13, 2019, 04:21:47 AM
Take a look @ Retay https://retayusa.com/en

I have actually peeked at their website before but couldn't find much information or reviews on the gun. Do you have any experience with them?  Their turkey model is right in my wheelhouse. Just hesitant to commit to such a new player in the industry

CrustyRusty

That website is horrible.  The guns are nice looking but geesh, what are they thinking.

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: CrustyRusty on June 13, 2019, 11:39:47 AM
That website is horrible.  The guns are nice looking but geesh, what are they thinking.

LOL, it is absolutely pathetic and damn near impossible to navigate.