OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tulipwood Pot Pictures Please  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Tulipwood Pot Pictures Please
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 07:16:07 PM »
I look at and buy quite a bit of tulipwood at my wood store for strikers and I've never ran across a board wider than 3".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's depressing to hear. Thanks though.
If you search online I'm sure you could find a board, I've seen it 4" before online. But it is expensive. I can honestly say that you'll probably have to buy it yourself and send it to the maker if you want a tulipwood pot. I've wanted one for a while, but it's just too much money, maybe one of these days.

I had a feeling that may be the case, John Sinclair has them listed but is out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
My most recent one was $100  really NICE call @ figure
Almost don't want to take it hunting 
I put it away and then my wife moves things around  and then I have to really look for it
I have more calls than  I can ever hunt with
Just a very bad at but legal habit
My mind was set on pot this coming January and then a Trumpet or box call of the same the following year. My GF does the same with my stuff.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2019, 07:24:06 PM »
No call making experience but I’ve seen laminated pots. Maybe you could find a piece to go with another type wood.
To be honest I am paranoid of laminated pots, I feel like they will come unbound and fall apart. I know the likelihood is pretty unlikely, but every time I think of buying one that stops me. I had a step uncle that used to say he could give me a solid steel ball with no seems and I would still find a way to break it by the end of the day. I have seen a Sinclair laminate pot made with Wenge come up a few times here but the fear of me breaking it always stops me.

John Koenig:

Offline JLH

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
I can get plenty of tulipwood lumber in pot call dimentions, but you wont like the price!

Plenty of other woods that are equal in tone that are more redily available, and at a reasonable price.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 09:04:28 PM »
I can get plenty of tulipwood lumber in pot call dimentions, but you wont like the price!

Plenty of other woods that are equal in tone that are more redily available, and at a reasonable price.
Everyone wants that rare stuff, including me

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 09:51:44 PM »
Sir-diealot,, why the big concern about laminated pot calls, with today's wood glue , a seam  between 2 pieces of wood coming apart are very small.. you know, they still make laminted bow risers in archery and you know hear about them blowing up.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Sir-diealot,, why the big concern about laminated pot calls, with today's wood glue , a seam  between 2 pieces of wood coming apart are very small.. you know, they still make laminted bow risers in archery and you know hear about them blowing up.
Just paranoid and have bad luck it seems.

John Koenig:

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
I’ve never had a laminated pot fail, 50+ so far...but I do hunt out west where humidity & rain are a non-factor for the most part...

I have had numerous single-wood pots fail though...cracks, warping, surface cracking due to the pot failing, etc...

Of course, these calls have been repaired or replaced by the call-maker, so no big deal...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 01:10:51 PM »
I’ve never had a laminated pot fail, 50+ so far...but I do hunt out west where humidity & rain are a non-factor for the most part...

I have had numerous single-wood pots fail though...cracks, warping, surface cracking due to the pot failing, etc...

Of course, these calls have been repaired or replaced by the call-maker, so no big deal...
Understand I am not trying to insult in any way, I am just paranoid about it. I had thought about a Crystal Mistress but it is in a laminated pot.

John Koenig:

Offline zsully

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »
Here is a tulipwood pot/striker combo from John Sinclair. I believe it’s titanium/slate and is in a 3.25 inch pot. Really good rasp on this call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
Here is a tulipwood pot/striker combo from John Sinclair. I believe it’s titanium/slate and is in a 3.25 inch pot. Really good rasp on this call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man it is a beautiful piece and that is who I was thinking I wanted to make me one as well. Thanks for sharing.

John Koenig:

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 08:22:59 PM »
From what I've been told  not all wood is compatible with each other as far as SOUND goes 
You can LOOSE the acoustic SOUND
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 08:40:04 PM »
From what I've been told  not all wood is compatible with each other as far as SOUND goes 
You can LOOSE the acoustic SOUND
Yes but that could be true of any wood combination.

John Koenig:

Offline vt35mag

• Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
I dont blame you for wanting a solid wood pot. It's what I prefer too, but laminates are more stable. I've never had a surface crack in a laminate pot. Definitely cannot say that about solid wood pots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
I dont blame you for wanting a solid wood pot. It's what I prefer too, but laminates are more stable. I've never had a surface crack in a laminate pot. Definitely cannot say that about solid wood pots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
It is more the pot that I worry about. Like the wood no longer adhering to the piece next to it.

John Koenig: