OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Short box, Long box, Hen Boxes, Fiddle boxes....love to know the difference....  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
and your favorites. I have a few long boxes and more short boxes but I have none of the others listed. A fiddle box I think is  a Marlin Watkins call? A hen box i gather is a turpin style box call and I see that Billy Buice makes them as well as Matt Fulkerson, and Richard Hudson? Love to know of more makers and what they make, and you guys' favorite types or even call makers. Thanks for the read I am moderately new to custom calls have been buying for fours years now and just want to try an understand better what is out there.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Following
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Look up Curtis Terrell on youtube , he can explain the difference for you .. short box , hen box .... Fiddlebox is Marlin Watkins design with no checking ... your hen boxes have no lid springs ... Favorites are Marlin , TJ Johnson, Matt Fulkerson, Doug Morgan and Jeff Mckamey....You pay for what you get , 50 , 100, 150, 200 or more ... others are Darrin Dawkins, Steve Mann, Albert Paul, Lamar Williams, Ernie Fetters ... study these call makers , some make just Long Boxes , some make both Short and Longboxes .... They are some people who make a good 100 dollar box , S S , Spring Creek , Jeff White and Scott Witter ....

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
  Thanks for the info Greg, i do have an S&S shortbox and five from Jeff White as well. They are nice boxes and players.

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Can't forget to include a mini boat in this conversation. Would love to hear any history on this style of paddle call. Mine from Ralph Snodgrass was "lightning strike" hot this past spring.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Can't forget to include a mini boat in this conversation. Would love to hear any history on this style of paddle call. Mine from Ralph Snodgrass was "lightning strike" hot this past spring.
  Agree , Marlins Misfit reminds me of mini boat paddle ... from what I've been told Ralph makes one of the best .....