turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 12 Ga Turkey/Predator SPS Choke Question

Started by greencop01, June 09, 2019, 09:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

I have a 12 Ga Rem Tur/pred SPS and I started using Win Longbeards. Killed a big tom this spring 25yds and my Pastor shot a big jake at 50-55 yds with it, both w/win 3"6's. I was using the choke that came with it at .670 constriction. My question is what is the optimum choke for it? My shots vary w/ most inside 25yds and a few at 40-50 yds. I was wondering of a Sumtoy .670 or anything slightly larger? Would like to hear opinions or experience with this load in a Rem Turkey/Predator with a 21" barrell? Moist of my shots like I said are around 25yds. Thanks guys.

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

1iagobblergetter

Have you patterned the choke that your using? What kind of numbers or pattern are you getting with it? If you shot one at 25yds and your pastor shot one at beyond the yardage we can discuss on here and beyond the yardage you sometimes shoot im not sure what your looking for??

Wayman

I have the same gun   I been using a 662 hevi choke and it does good out to 40 yards using longbeards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

If most of your shots are around 25 yards the Remington choke and plane ol #5s in any brand would probably due. You really can't have a good hunting pattern at 25 and at 50 yards. You'll end up with a baseball  size pattern at 25 and a decent one at 40 or you'll have a good even pattern at 25 that makes close shots easy and a very sparse turkey wounding machine at 50 yards....which you should not be attempting. That's the reason for all the scopes and mounts and battery operated sight systems....too tight at close range and trying to extend a turkey gun far past reason. I kill 99.9% of my Gobblers at 25-30 yards I have shot a few at 40, I have had to pass  very few past that. If I can't get him to 40 or less I let him go, but normally unless you do something to spook him you can still get him in or hunt him later, no reason to attempt a long shot and wound the Gobbler.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

greencop01

I'll be clearer on my question. On my pastor's shot I estimated 40 yds. When I paced it, it came out to 51 paces. I was shocked I underestimated it. It was behind some pines with branches and I yelped and he stretched out his neck to look over a branch. Clean from the caruncles up. Most of my shots are at 25 yds or less. I was looking for a choke for that yardage. I use a Rem HD choke that came with this gun. I think I answered my question. I didn't want a tighter choke but one that would open up a bit at 25 yds. I usually pass the long shots. I have never wounded a bird. And I use a rangefinder when I have the oppotunity to use one. But sometimes I would be busted if I took a range. And I have missed clean 3 birds over the years. Thanks for the reply and the advice.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Bay1985

Longbeards would not be my choice for a 25-40 yard range. The whole selling point of the LB is the tight pattern at  40yds and out which causes the really  small pattern at close range as mentioned. A lot of good lead loads that don't require a special choke or reloading TSS will give you a really dense even hunting pattern from 0-40 yards. Winchester's Surpreme load in #6 or #5 with a Rem extra full turkey choke has been a good combo for me.

bbcoach

Most Remmys like a choke in the .665 range.  Some that come to mind are Indian Creek, Sumtoy and SSX.  As some have stated, Longbeards shoot tight at close range with tight chokes.  If you are going to try and keep your shots inside 40, LB's and a .665-.670 choke maybe too tight.  Did you get a .690 or .710 choke with the gun (extra full)?  Or maybe a full choke will help.  LB's and one of these chokes would probably open up that pattern.  A patterning session will let you know for sure.

Gobble!

If you wanted a tight pattern at 40 I would say Indian Creek or Jebs as they are the two who prove they can do that year after year at the NWTF competition. But it sounds like your good with what you have. The factory choke and long beards, assuming you do not want to switch to TSS, is probably the best combination for a somewhat forgiving 20 yard pattern while still producing a pattern to kill birds at 40 yards with some room for error. Best to take the time and pattern your gun beyond 40 to see how much room for error you have.